"dash" signals flickering?

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i don't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me... but yesterday i was riding home on the interstate and out of the corner of my eyes i noticed a little flicker of my signals. i thought that maybe i hadn't turned my signal off from merging. hit the center off and realized that it was turned off. then i looked closer and it was both of them. kinda like my hazards were on. so i hit my hazards switch to turn them off. but i ended up turning them on. they were already off. it bothered me and i kept looking at them as i was riding (not the safest thing to be doing with all the traffic and 80mph).

i stopped off at a park to have a picnic with my family and play with my girls for a little bit before actually coming home. on the way home i had my wife ride behind me to see if my lights were actually coming on. only problem is i didn't see my dash signals lightly flickering anymore.

has anyone had this happen before? is this a possible bad switch? was it just my mind playing tricks on me? any ideas?

You could test the switches and circuits but it may have been your mind. If it stopped I would test them before every ride (gotta be safe first, right? and you should be doing this anyway) and look every once in a while to see if they do it again....if not good. if they do....then fix them.

i don't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me... but yesterday i was riding home on the interstate and out of the corner of my eyes i noticed a little flicker of my signals. i thought that maybe i hadn't turned my signal off from merging. hit the center off and realized that it was turned off. then i looked closer and it was both of them. kinda like my hazards were on. so i hit my hazards switch to turn them off. but i ended up turning them on. they were already off. it bothered me and i kept looking at them as i was riding (not the safest thing to be doing with all the traffic and 80mph).

i stopped off at a park to have a picnic with my family and play with my girls for a little bit before actually coming home. on the way home i had my wife ride behind me to see if my lights were actually coming on. only problem is i didn't see my dash signals lightly flickering anymore.

has anyone had this happen before? is this a possible bad switch? was it just my mind playing tricks on me? any ideas?

should be a bad switch....or probably try taking apart and do some cleaning/derust.

Last edited:
Have you washed the bike recently, sometimes, if moisture gets in, it's causes lights, like the neutral light, etc, to stay on, on the instrument panel...

Can be quite disconcerting....but when things dry out, the problem goes away.

:thumbup:

i'm not sure what it was, but other than the one day i haven't had this happen again. and i hadn't washed it so that wasn't it. this was months ago so i'm not sure what the deal was. thanks for y'all's responses. i'll keep them in mind if it ever happens again.

i'm not sure what it was, but other than the one day i haven't had this happen again. and i hadn't washed it so that wasn't it. this was months ago so i'm not sure what the deal was. thanks for y'all's responses. i'll keep them in mind if it ever happens again.

Ghost in the machine....who says mechanical things dont have a soul! :eek:

:D

figured out what my ghost was today. had the same issue. i would look down and see both (hazard) lights dimly flickering. i figured it had to be the sun somehow but couldn't figure it out.

THEN i noticed that it did it while i was stopped at a light as i would move my head slightly up and down. the sun was reflecting off my helmet (i guess my mirrored visor) when my head was at the right angle and shinning into the dash.

so, no ghost this time. just the sun and slow me who's not able to pick up on it. :rolleyes:

Back