Custom LED Taillight

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Gentleman was selling LED PCBs over on SBN. He no longer sells them but I managed to talk him into sending me one of his last ones (for a few $$). I installed this quite some time ago, but only got around to taking pictures today. I'll grab some after dark pictures in in a few hours.

If anyone is interested he still has some more and I'm willing to make them, but parts cost is around $60 unless he gives me a steep discount on the boards.

edit: And yes, that is a length of wire holding the brake lever. Didn't have any string or strong enough rubber bands.

Last edited:

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great man, but $60 is pretty steep. What is the breakdown of parts? Could you get some of them cheaper from Digikey or Mouser?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice looking light setup. How is the visibility without the brakes on? i like it with the brakes on :thumbup:

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Looks great man, but $60 is pretty steep. What is the breakdown of parts? Could you get some of them cheaper from Digikey or Mouser?

Leds, resistors, diodes ran me about $26 from newark. Setup uses 96 high-intensity red LEDs. The board is layed out that it can do integration with turns, but I'm not fond of those so I didn't build it that way.
Largest single expense is the PCB, $30 a pop in singles, but he may be willing to go down if I buy a few at once (or buy him out of stock, I'll have to speak with him again).
I just made the offer in case anyone was interested, he started all of this (making an selling them himself) before any of the big manufactures started pumping out the pre-manufactured models. Frankly, I dont know of any of the vendors that carry integrated tails that can use 96 LEDs, or that look as bright.
Also, after parts, you do have do consider my time to solder it all together (took me about 3 hours for one, but it was also the first).

Last edited:

GTHappy

Reaction score
Visit site
What if I'm just interested in getting a pcb / partslist? (got a schematic?)
Are all the components on one side? (Aka, can it be wave soldered?)

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Newark Stock # Manufacturer Part #
95 - Red LED’s 22H1216 TLCR5100
1 - 47 Ohm 1Watt Resistor 94C2379 5073NW47R00J
1 - Diode 26H8083 BA158/3
19 – 100Ohm .25 Watt Resistor 84N2321 CR1/4W-5%-100R
For turns replace a portion of LED’s and resistors with:
40 - Amber LED’s Hlmp-el16-vy000
8 - 47Ohm .25 watt resistors CR1/4-5%-47R

Copied and pasted from his list. If I recall correctly, one of them is discontinued, but the recommend replacement from newark is fine.

Only schematics I have are attached.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I'm definitely interested in getting a pcb if one is available.

$20 shipped when I get them.

Updated component cost is $40 total for PCB + soldered components only (no mount and you'll have to splice into existing wiring, or make your own "socket" with a spare bulb).

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
That doesnt include assembly guys. $40 gets you a ziplock baggie of parts. If thats what you want, then cool. Otherwise, PM me with what you think is fair for the soldering it all together.

GTHappy

Reaction score
Visit site
That doesnt include assembly guys. $40 gets you a ziplock baggie of parts. If thats what you want, then cool. Otherwise, PM me with what you think is fair for the soldering it all together.

I'm good with that. Been doing plenty of it recently.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Pics for your viewing pleasure.
Please forgive the poor quality. Had to put my camera in super macro mode. Taking a picture of something this large in that mode caused a fair bit of distortion.