Crazy noob question - Shift Pattern?

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched and couldn't find the answer... I'm used to riding a Suzuki quad, 5 up, easy as pie.

I'm assuming the FZ6 will have a 1-down, 5-up pattern with neutral being in between 1st and 2nd gears. Is this correct?

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, major, major confusion over here...

First of all, I got home safely. Yay!

However... I never shifted. I started out and got up to 45... RPMs very low. Strange. I try to shift up. Doesn't seem to do anything. I hit 60. RPMs still around 4k, still "couldn't" shift up.

Please explain!!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, major, major confusion over here...

First of all, I got home safely. Yay!

However... I never shifted. I started out and got up to 45... RPMs very low. Strange. I try to shift up. Doesn't seem to do anything. I hit 60. RPMs still around 4k, still "couldn't" shift up.

Please explain!!!

You should be able to shift without even using the clutch. Just poke it into gear.

When you go into 1st you will see you neutral light flash as you pass through. If the bike will not down shift, like when coasting to a stop light, just cycle the clutch once or twice and you'll get there.

The FZ gearbox is a bit balky as times.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it an automatic??? :Im With Stupid:

Sorry - cycle the clutch and poke it into gear.

Once you are comfortable you can up shift the bike w/o the clutch. Just poke it up a gear once you are over 5000 rpm or so.

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm, I'm still not understanding... let me see if I can clarify.

When I'm riding at 45 mph, the tach is at like, ohh, 2k rpms. I engage the clutch and lift up on the shifter. It doesn't go up. Without moving the shift lever, I can slow down to a stop. Then I can take off and go 55 with the tach at 4k RPMs or so... Is that normal?

ANd have I won the noob award yet? Of all the problems I expected to run in to, understanding the trasmission was NOT one of them :(

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
does the bike sound like it is going to stall when taking off, it sounds like your already in a much too high a gear. Have you tried down shifting, have you ever had it in neutral???

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, disregard everything I (the FNG) said about the transmission. Apparently I was high as **** on the way home... I don't know if maybe I was just so nervous I didn't notice I was shifting, or what... but I just went out again and it functioned exactly like I thought it should... you know, shifting and all. :rolleyes:

Also, I went ahead and laid it down once just to get it out of the way lol
I was practicing low speed turns. Left turns? Flawless. Right turns? Not so much! :D
No damage that I could see.

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you just messin with us? How did you get it to 60 without shifting?
If it will not shift take it back........ If you are messin with us that is too funny.

I'm not messing with you, and I honestly have no ****ing clue what happened... I was very aware of the tach and the sound of the engine. I'm positive it wasn't reving too high. Best guess I have is that I was unaware of what my feet were doing (maybe conditioning from riding my suzuki quad for so many years?). But, seriously, I'm at a loss on this one... Please just ignore the thread. lol ;)