Crashed (again)

Are you partly responsible if you stalled and someone hit you from behind?

• Yes, you share some of the blame.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • No, totally the other guys' fault

Votes: 160 86.5%

• Total voters
Going to try to readjust the exhaust, but do you guys think I need to order new clamps?

I've decided I'm going to get rid of the stock rear fender. So far all the ideas I got is to get those integrated taillight w signals. Also I'm going to attached the license plate via picture below, but it will be on a hinge system so I can hide the plate while parked.

Only problem is I anticipate is not having a license plate light....This should keep me busy in the winter.

Don't think you need new clamps. They're meant to bend quite a few times before they give.

Got a solution for you for the plate light: Chopper Motorcycle LED License Plate Light Bolt BLACK - eBay (item 300492456321 end time Nov-19-10 10:45:33 PST)

What a mess. Hope it works out for you.

I think you are doing the right thing fixing the bike yourself. Take a close look and make sure nothing major seems to broken, cracked or out of alignment.

Get a replacement exhaust and sell your damaged Leo's to a fellow member on this board. At a discounted price of course. Not me, I have mine installed. :D

Your bike will look great with the mods/fixes you're doing to it. Be careful when riding!

Had some free time today (I'm on sick leave from work) and despite the back pain, I decided to work on my bike. I can't bare to see my Leo Vince all jacked up like that. I was able to disassemble then reassemble the LV and manage to realigned it. I think I did a very good job, maybe even better than the first time. Upon closer inspection of the exhaust, my suspicion was right. They are flattened up on the top due to the accident.

I also notice that my mudguard was cracked. How the hell did they miss that in the estimate? They did missed the damages to my Leos too. Maybe the insurance and them are in cohoot?

I figured I'll do an oil change too, since I'm going to put it up soon. This was my first attempt at oil change. It was extremely easy!!! It was also the first time I get to use the torque wrench ($60) I bought at newenough. I got the 3/8" version (5-80 ft-lb) which I think is perfect.

Had some free time today (I'm on sick leave from work) and despite the back pain, I decided to work on my bike. I can't bare to see my Leo Vince all jacked up like that. I was able to disassemble then reassemble the LV and manage to realigned it. I think I did a very good job, maybe even better than the first time. Upon closer inspection of the exhaust, my suspicion was right. They are flattened up on the top due to the accident.

I also notice that my mudguard was cracked. How the hell did they miss that in the estimate? They did missed the damages to my Leos too. Maybe the insurance and them are in cohoot?

I figured I'll do an oil change too, since I'm going to put it up soon. This was my first attempt at oil change. It was extremely easy!!! It was also the first time I get to use the torque wrench ($60) I bought at newenough. I got the 3/8" version (5-80 ft-lb) which I think is perfect.

Nice to see your getting started on getting the bike sorted! :thumbup:

Can you call back the insurance adjuster and have them redo the estimate or did you already sign something/get/cash a check?

UPDATE:

The douchbag who hit me went to court today, late. The guy didn't speak a lick of English. For some reason the judge said to me, "You're excused, if we need you we'll contact you. You're welcome to witness the trial if you wish." The trial was continued (did it even started??) for next month.

Now I'm wondering why they don't need me. I'm the fricking star witness. They don't know anything about the video that I have (because I didn't tell them). Then I remember, this is Cook County, IL. People here just get slap on the hand, if that. Well, guess what. I AM going to attend the next court hearing and I WILL raise hell if they're going to drop the ball on this one.

I don't want the insurance to say I didn't fulfill my end of the bargain.

UPDATE:

The douchbag who hit me went to court today, late. The guy didn't speak a lick of English. For some reason the judge said to me, "You're excused, if we need you we'll contact you. You're welcome to witness the trial if you wish." The trial was continued (did it even started??) for next month.

Now I'm wondering why they don't need me. I'm the fricking star witness. They don't know anything about the video that I have (because I didn't tell them). Then I remember, this is Cook County, IL. People here just get slap on the hand, if that. Well, guess what. I AM going to attend the next court hearing and I WILL raise hell if they're going to drop the ball on this one.

I don't want the insurance to say I didn't fulfill my end of the bargain.
I was hit by a drunk in the City a few years ago. Court at Daley Center. I had the same rap from the prosecuting attny. Didn't need me at all, but I stayed in court just to see the guy.

The police record was all they needed for me, along with other witnesses. It was the guy's third DUI. So they gave him 7 years in prison, the max. Didn't help that he ran and blew almost a .3 when caught.

It was strange to not have to testify or anything and to just be called "The Victim", but I was satisfied with the help from the police and prosecution.

Glad you're getting back to the bike. Hopefully, you can get the insurance back out on this.

Scorp

That's ridiculous! There was no chance for you to mention that you had the crash on video?

I was hit by a drunk in the City a few years ago. Court at Daley Center. I had the same rap from the prosecuting attny. Didn't need me at all, but I stayed in court just to see the guy.

The police record was all they needed for me, along with other witnesses. It was the guy's third DUI. So they gave him 7 years in prison, the max. Didn't help that he ran and blew almost a .3 when caught.

It was strange to not have to testify or anything and to just be called "The Victim", but I was satisfied with the help from the police and prosecution.

Glad you're getting back to the bike. Hopefully, you can get the insurance back out on this.

Scorp

Daley Center too...Now that i hear your story, I do feel a little better. Since I didnt' get a chance to show them my video (I had to use my camera to video tape the vido from the computer), I am at least going to go to the next hearing. When they see the video, they will see how he acted and hopefully sentence him accordingly.

BTW, 7 years in prison in Cook County probably means 2 years then parole. Also, I'm wondering because the guy was DUI did his insurance company tried to denied your claim?

Daley Center too...Now that i hear your story, I do feel a little better. Since I didnt' get a chance to show them my video (I had to use my camera to video tape the vido from the computer), I am at least going to go to the next hearing. When they see the video, they will see how he acted and hopefully sentence him accordingly.

BTW, 7 years in prison in Cook County probably means 2 years then parole. Also, I'm wondering because the guy was DUI did his insurance company tried to denied your claim?
That video is crazy. Shows everything they need. I hope it goes smoothly for you and isn't too much of a pain.

And, sadly, you're right on the length...last I heard was that he served four. But you know it going in.

Guy had no insurance. So I was really covered under my insurance as I opted for that coverage as well. Otherwise, who knows...

Keep us posted.

Ok I was a little embarassed to say this in the beginning, I left out one small detail. But here's the real truth, the whole truth:

Like I said I was stopped at the light. When the light turn green I started to move. But not even a second into it I stalled (this is the embarassing part). As I push the starter button I got hit from behind.

Is this somehow partly my fault because I stalled the bike? Again, truely embarassed. The weather was cold in Chicago that morning! My hands were freezing.

looking at the video, If you had taken off the short amount of time you were stalled, I think he would have hit you anyway, would have just been faster and you would have most likely not been able to hold your bike up and it would have have been much worse....:spank:

Wow, glad your're ok! It looked like he launched late, then gunned it right into you. Maybe he'll get hit on a bicycle sometime in the future. ;)

Find out who the prosecutor is in the case. Probably a DA? Tell him you have video of the event. Whoever the prosecutor is will eat it up like candy. This makes their job easier, and makes it much tougher for the douche to get off lightly. Hope it all works out for you!

I was involved in another accident this morning on my way to drill. Stopped at the light, light turned green. Move forward a little then BAM! Got thrown, got up. Driver reverse, about 200ft. Made a Y-turn, drove away opposite direction as I chased him down with full uniform on foot. :eek:

Driver left behind his front bumber with his license plate. Police tracked him down at his address. (Good job po-po!).

Back pain, soreness all over...Man I'm so pissed off. This is my second accident in 2 months! I was about to put the bike up in a few days too. Should I just give up motorcycling all together? Don't answer that. Answer is 'Hell NO!'. Tcmalker shall return.

** poll added **

YouTube - Motorcycle accident with a surprise.

Sorry to hear, but hell yeah to getting it on tape! There's no denying the evidence.

They don't need you in court because it's a foregone conclusion. He rear-ended you, which leaves no room for you to be at fault (despite the stall). Then he ran, which the police officer witnessed and documented. Those are the facts and they're not in dispute. All that's left is his plea, a trial if necessary (unlikely) and a sentencing.

Back