Crashed (again)

Are you partly responsible if you stalled and someone hit you from behind?

• Yes, you share some of the blame.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • No, totally the other guys' fault

Votes: 160 86.5%

• Total voters

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I was a little embarassed to say this in the beginning, I left out one small detail. But here's the real truth, the whole truth:

Like I said I was stopped at the light. When the light turn green I started to move. But not even a second into it I stalled (this is the embarassing part). As I push the starter button I got hit from behind.

Is this somehow partly my fault because I stalled the bike? Again, truely embarassed. The weather was cold in Chicago that morning! My hands were freezing.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my book we should be aware of vehicles suddenly stopping for any reason. Vehicles stall and that doesn't make hitting you fair in any sense of the word. Then to run! UhUh! :shakehead: :disapprove:

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
All drivers/riders must not proceed into the stalled vehicle in front of them! Green light doesn't mean GO when the vehicle in front of you isn't moving or stalled. I'd be surprised if you were to blame at all. IMHO. Glad you are relatively okay. Get yourself checked out by your Dr.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely see a doctor and a lawyer. Glad that you are more or less OK. Rest up and see a doctor immediately.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I was a little embarassed to say this in the beginning, I left out one small detail. But here's the real truth, the whole truth:

Like I said I was stopped at the light. When the light turn green I started to move. But not even a second into it I stalled (this is the embarassing part). As I push the starter button I got hit from behind.

Is this somehow partly my fault because I stalled the bike? Again, truely embarassed. The weather was cold in Chicago that morning! My hands were freezing.

NOT YOUR FAULT!!!
If everyone got rear-ended every time they stalled, no one would ever make it past beginner stage!
100% driver's fault in this case!

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site

Is it embarrassing? Yes
Do we want to avoid it? Yes
Does it happen? Yes

Either way, that is not a reason for a crash (hit and run on top of that) at an intersection with a traffic light, it is not a race (even on a race, everybody behind will pay attention not to hit you).

People, in general, are doing too many things while "driving" and are indeed taking it for granted.

Get it off your head and recover from the hit.

Good luck,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think any of us can say we have never stalled at a stop light. It is totally not your fault. The moron behind you should have been paying attention and was obviously following too close! I hope you got checked out by your doctor. Glad you are ok, stay safe, heal soon and don't quit riding (but maybe you can ask for a transfer somewhere with less traffic and better riding? ;) )

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Pfffft. You're allowed to be embarrassed and think you're bad for stalling, but the accident is by no means your fault.

I actually just stalled yesterday because I forgot to downshift to first.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Accident was captured on video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKD_GqxU9o"]YouTube - Motorcycle accident with a surprise.[/ame]
This is the exact reason why I bought this camera, I recommend everyone get one for their protection.

Last edited:

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Contour >> hit & run accident by tcmalker

This is the exact reason why I bought this camera, I recommend everyone get one for their protection.

That guy was backin up more than that woman in the backin up song (autotune the news.) I actually cringed at the impact.

Do you just use the flat surface mount that comes with the camera on your helmet?

Also, how long does the battery actually last?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Contour >> hit & run accident by tcmalker

Wow.. that was painful to watch. That guy should be arrested!!

Gotta tell ya though.. your other vids show very risky riding (the bus and the red light vid). Be careful out there, man!

Last edited:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope everything works out for you. Because you were on your way to Drill you should be able to get some help from your unit as well because you would be considered to be on duty when it happened. As long as your unit is willing to do the paperwork. It is what happened with me and my accident. If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to help you out with any information with this.

Oh and don't let your Command take your bike. (joking) Mine wanted to lock it up because we were getting ready to deploy and they didn't want to lose me before we left. :p

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
That guy was backin up more than that woman in the backin up song (autotune the news.) I actually cringed at the impact.

Do you just use the flat surface mount that comes with the camera on your helmet?

Also, how long does the battery actually last?

I used the flat surface mount that came with the camera. It works perfectly, but I'm thinking of getting the rotating kind in case I have my modular helmet in the up position and want to get good video.

The battery life has been a little disappointing. They advertised 2 hrs but I get just a little over an hour. But I record in 1080p mode so I think it use more juice. It's good enough for my daily commute to work and back (30 mins each way). I have to charge it everyday....I'm always worrying about the battery running out and something like this happens and i don't catch it on tape!

Wow.. that was painful to watch. That guy should be arrested!!

Gotta tell ya though.. your other vids show very risky riding (the bus and the red light vid). Be careful out there, man!

I agree. I'm a little more less risky now. You weren't supposed to be watching my other videos!!!:spank:

I hope everything works out for you. Because you were on your way to Drill you should be able to get some help from your unit as well because you would be considered to be on duty when it happened. As long as your unit is willing to do the paperwork. It is what happened with me and my accident. If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to help you out with any information with this.

Oh and don't let your Command take your bike. (joking) Mine wanted to lock it up because we were getting ready to deploy and they didn't want to lose me before we left. :p

Thanks for offering to help. I thought about that too, but I don't know if I can benefit from it. I have a good insurance through my work and don't need anything else. Funny thing is I called my platoon sergeant and he asked me if I wanted an excused absense. I said yes, but the commander insisted I come and make up for that day...so this Thursday I have to go back. I'm a SGT btw, deployed 08-09 OEF.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, good thing you tracked him down! Even if one has uninsured motorist, unless the offender is identified, your insurance company doesn't pay (unless maybe you have full coverage?). Of course it's his fault! Doesn't matter if you stalled, slammed on the brakes for a kitty cat, or even just decided to stop for no good reason. Don't tell me---he was tailgating you (or not paying attention), huh?

vhiran

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK! I ride to drill and get nervous as hell every time.

New Orleans traffic is insane, basically ride like a complete jackass or get run over.

Definetly sue this guy. Pain and suffering. Maybe next time he won't hit and run? Ahh who am I kidding, he probably will.

Good ol FZ6, pretty durable bike. Youtube videos where a guy hits a deer going 65 and then turns around and inspects said Deer's corpse can attest.

And never the fault of the staller. Pretty much everyone these days drives an automatic, or have no idea what a stall is. That said, the ME ME ME IM IN A HURRY mentality is what causes accidents and injuries, and damn if someone rear-ending you doesn't have it.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK and certainly go after this guy but I would take down your risky riding videos. Take them down until you get everything resolved with the insurance/lawsuit just to be sure they don't somehow bite you in the ass.

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
I was thinking more along the lines of one of these. :p

attachment.php

And then he could do this... :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Gqmfa7qog]YouTube - A Day out in Devon[/ame]

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't get it.. 6 people in the poll said that tcmalker was partially responsible, but no one chimed in with actual comment?

HOW in the world is he responsible for this crash?!

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As soon as you set a vehicle on the road, you are partly to blame for an accident, sounds rough, but if you weren't on the road it wouldn't have happened.

That said, I voted that TC was in the right, no blame there. As was said, doesn't matter if you stall (come on, we've all done it), stop for a stray pet or just stop for the fun of it... People behind you need to give way.

:rockon: