Crack/Hole In Engine | Part #?

no1GhostFL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys! I was hoping someone could reference me a part # from their 04FZ6 manual.

I was arranging my backpack for my ride, and as I am getting onto the bike, it begins to lean due to improper wheel direction (Yeah, I know... :spank:)

The bike fell over and the curb hit just under the frame, right onto the engine. This picture shows where the hole is.
yaaaa.jpg

Inspecting the engine, it looks as if I can just replace that cover piece for that side of the engine. The bike didn't come with a manual, and I haven't been able to find a schematic of the bike on the internet.Still new to riding, and obviously a virgin to motorcycle repairs, I'd greatly appreciate anyone's input!

This? Oil Pump Cover and Gasket.
Part # 23

8$... I can handle that! Now, is it repairable with a manual and a couple old timer automotive junkies? Or should this go to the shop?

Last edited:
It should be a crazy easy job. I took mine off when adjusting my valve clearance. It should take 15 minutes to do the whole swap. Just make sure to clean the surface where the old gasket sat. Also it will be easier if you do not take the 1-2" long dowl because it is slightly difficult to put back in because the timing chain guide (intake side) is slightly tensioned.

I'm not sure what a dowl is, or what it has to do with, but I am excited to hear that it's going to be an easy fix! To confirm so I can get this ordered tonight, its part number 23 and number 16 that I need from this site, correct?

Thanks a bunch, guys! :D

I'm not sure what a dowl is, or what it has to do with, but I am excited to hear that it's going to be an easy fix! To confirm so I can get this ordered tonight, its part number 23 and number 16 that I need from this site, correct?

You'll find the dowel when you pull the cover. It sits between the cover and engine case and pulls duty as a "locator" for the cover. Be sure you torque those screws to the proper specification... especially if you're new to wrenching. :thumbup:

To confirm so I can get this ordered tonight, its part number 23 and number 16 that I need from this site, correct?

Yup, parts 16 and 23 will get you fixed. EDIT Hmm, just looked again, and it might be a good idea to also get gasket #21 and O-Ring #19

Good luck, as said, easy job.

Take some pics and do a "How-To" thread for anyone that needs it in the future.

:rockon:

Last edited:
I have to replace mine as well. I got one of Ebay for 20 bucks for a 2009. It was not the same, some small differences that make it useless on a 2007.

So I ordered a new one from Bikebandits. On the backside of the cover is a part with the hex bolts to undo, there is also another that I had to use one of those impacts you hit with a hammer to get it loose. Use some blue locktite when putting it all back together. You will also need some yama bond for the area the wire goes in.

Wish I had known about cheapcycleparts! Way cheaper.

Last edited:
You'll also need need to swap out the ignition pick up assembly located inside the cover.

I swapped my cover out and needed to use an impact (handheld tool used with a hammer) tool to break the 2 bolts (phillips head) loose as they were installed with a bunch of locktite. I also set a small stool next to where I was working so I didn't have to disassemble the bike to get to the wiring harness. I was able to remove the 2 phillips heads bolts right there and swap the covers.

For the sensor lead that goes thru the case, you'll also need some sealant, yamaha recomends: Yamaha bond No 1215 for the rubber part that goes from the inside to the outside

Just noticed I about copied Kamloops.........:) except for the stool....

Last edited:
How strange is that! They must have changed the casting on the block as well.
Maybe there are a few subtle changes because they were getting ready to use the engine in the XJ?

As wonderfully cheap as CheapCycleParts is, I will NEVER be doing business with them again. It has been almost a month since my order was placed, and I have yet to even receive the smaller parts. When I try contacting their customer service line, it has me on hold for literally hours. I doubt they even answer the phone at this point, because after pressing 1 to "save my place in line and receive a call back from the next available representative", I still never received a call, and it has been over a week. I've called numerous times, and it finally took an email to get them to respond to me. That was about 12 days ago and after the representative told me it would only be another 3 or 4 days. Now they are still not returning my calls. Great prices. Absolutely the worst service I have ever received. :(

And it really dosen't help that it is the beginning of another college semester, I need to be traveling to find a job, and my bike is my only transportation. Terrible :(

Last edited:
Back