Couple newbie questions

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally picked up my FZ after running into some headaches with the dealership. Registered it and drove it home today. I am an ex cruiser rider so I was a little hesitant to only have about 3/4 of a mile under my belt before I hit the highway with the FZ, but I did fine.

Anyways, I rode for as much time as I could this afternoon. I had a couple questions I thought I'd ask since my old bike was drastically different.

Mostly I am wondering what speed and gear everyone is cruising around in? I was on mostly secondary roads this afternoon, between 25-45mph. 3rd seemed to be perfect. Only reason I ask is that I read so often that the motor likes the higher revs. I think I was beteen 5-10k rpm in 3rd gear. Is it better to keep it in a lower gear at a higher rpm or move up a gear and drop the rpm down? Does it really matter or just preference? I figure if the tach goes to 16k rpm, 10k for an extended period of time sure isn't going to hurt it any.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally picked up my FZ after running into some headaches with the dealership. Registered it and drove it home today. I am an ex cruiser rider so I was a little hesitant to only have about 3/4 of a mile under my belt before I hit the highway with the FZ, but I did fine.

Anyways, I rode for as much time as I could this afternoon. I had a couple questions I thought I'd ask since my old bike was drastically different.

Mostly I am wondering what speed and gear everyone is cruising around in? I was on mostly secondary roads this afternoon, between 25-45mph. 3rd seemed to be perfect. Only reason I ask is that I read so often that the motor likes the higher revs. I think I was beteen 5-10k rpm in 3rd gear. Is it better to keep it in a lower gear at a higher rpm or move up a gear and drop the rpm down? Does it really matter or just preference? I figure if the tach goes to 16k rpm, 10k for an extended period of time sure isn't going to hurt it any.

It redlines at 14K, which indicates that this is what the motor can stand for å prolonged period of time. The motor also has it's peak power at 12K rpm.

In other words, you shouldn't worry about revving it at all. I do it as often as I can, allthough I keep it in 6th gear when cruising. When ovetaking cars, I tend to gear down to 3rd, and let the engine scream all the way up to the redline. Just for the fun of it:D It sure helps with a set of Devil cans, especially in tunnels... Sounds like an F1 race car:thumbup:

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is something about the battery not charging until hitting a certain RPM, I wanna say its 8k? Someone help me out on this one :confused:

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
Above 40 in 6th in the twisties 3rd or 4th depending on how fast I need to slow down in between turns, it's what works best for you, FZ. Is a forgiving bike.

sjk625

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow you're in 6th at any speed over 40 that seems very low. I'm around 3rd at 40 maybe 4th if its a prolonged period of time.

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow you're in 6th at any speed over 40 that seems very low. I'm around 3rd at 40 maybe 4th if its a prolonged period of time.

I'll run up 1st and 2nd up to speed of traffic then if I'm going to be at speed for a while I'll shift into 6th keeps the rpms down and good gas milage if I need power it's only a few down shifts away.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
What clr 2 Ind, (and others), have said. This bike is very torq'y and it likes to rev as well. Whatever makes you both happy is probably fine. You will find a happy spot as you get more used to one another.

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
What clr 2 Ind, (and others), have said. This bike is very torq'y and it likes to rev as well. Whatever makes you both happy is probably fine. You will find a happy spot as you get more used to one another.

Exactly, this is such a great all around bike you can ride anyway you feel like riding it.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
5K is a happy place for this motor. Around town I typically would run 5-7K and shift. Plenty enough gumption without bogging. Lots more on tap, when you wring it out to 8+