Could use some advice!

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Olympia AirGlide overpants:

MotoGear Outlet - Olympia Airglide 3 pants

they slipped on over my jeans (or shorts depending on how hot it was) and they have armor in the knees and hips.

and I bought them here:

MotoGear Outlet - Motorcycle jackets, helmets, luggage and more...

I think she sent me an e-mail about an upcoming sale, but of course now that I want it, I can't find it! Call them and find out when it is :)

And be super careful riding in Denver....my son used to live in the Aurora area and he hated the commute, said it was very scary.

Oh and check out Performance Cycle, they have a good selection:

Street Gear PERFORMANCE CYCLE OF COLORADO DENVER, CO 303-744-2011

Well the commute never looked all that bad but i take it in the car lol but i will be careful... cant wait to take a bike up towards the rockies tho!

TheDrewFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
As a new rider like myself, frame sliders are a must!!! I dropped my bike twice already.. both within 5 minutes of eachother. Though it is kind of a funny story I dropped it twice in the same parking lot at the gas station after filling up for the first time. 5 gallons of gas is heavier then i thought.

The FZ6 is my very first bike as well and I've only been riding a month but i think its great. I mainly commute to work during the week and practice my various skills on the weekend in a controlled area. If you think you're mature enough and aren't twitchy on the throttle its a great first bike.

P.S I really didn't think the clutch engagment is all that bad, it is narrow but easily manageable. I'm far from an experience rider but hopefully my comment helps you out in some way i was in your shoes 4 weeks ago. Ride safe and ATGATT :rockon:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
* Many will say that they started on this bike and had no problems at all (and many did drop them at one point or another).
I fall into this category. The FZ6 was my first bike and it was absolutely the right decision, I love it and it's the right amount of power without being overwhelming.

Sliders will actually help a lot more than you think, especially with just the stationary drops. My bike has only been down once, the day I rode it home I forgot to put the kick stand down after pulling into the garage... talk about frustration.

Our bikes are also unique in that they have a center stand, this stand will be invaluable if you ever have to do roadside maintenance (and regular chain cleanings). As a first timer, it's not easy to get it up on the center stand by yourself, the bikes are heavy. Grab a friend and practice until you feel comfortable doing it on your own.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 05 FZ6 was my first bike also, yes I dropped it about a year after I got it because I forgot to take off the disk lock, duh. Oh well just minor scratches to the crash cage mirror and signal, and my belt put a small dent in the tank.

I don't think the friction zone is bad, but thought the throttle was touchy. Just be careful until you get used to it. Especially when in 1st or 2nd.

The bike is also much different in the 0-7k range than it is in the 7-14k range. My usual shift is 7-8k unless i'm feeling a heavy right hand. I'm 5-10 and 130lbs so that helps to.

I rode my brother's 01 bandit to go look at my bike, and I grew up on dirtbikes including a xr600r which is has more torque than the tire can handle. The bandit is about 200lbs heavier. Comparing the two the brakes on the FZ are much touchier (need less lever pressure) and throttle is much more abrupt on the FZ. Probably me feeling the difference between carbs and FI. The FI is nice as the bike has always started for me.

A hard case is worth the money but get gear first. I have the Givi rack and 46L top case and can fit my helmet (small or medium, large might be tight) and jacket in the case. The jacket does not have a hard spine protector otherwise it wouldn't fit.

You can't forget this forum is awesome!:thumbup:

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
Thxs for all the help guys im pretty confident in my decision now... i have the gear to get me started but it will be the first thing my next paycheck goes to... and the bike im getting has some soft bags that come with it... but i will look into hard cases... i would love to take my camera gear but i wouldnt put that in a soft pack.. if i drop the bike it would be bad enough, wouldnt want to lose a lens or body too.. but you guys are great! im having a mech look at the bike this friday so hopefully i can really be part of the community soon!

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a ugly pre gen 250 for $1k and 2400miles thinking that I would get ride of it in a few weeks for a fz6. That dang bike is so much fun that 14k miles later it's parked in the garage next to my fz6. :eek: I now love the ugly bike.;)

I ride it harder than I do my fz6.:spank: I can rip it up on that thing, and still pull down 55mpg.:BLAA: I run 80mph on the highway all day long.:spank:

If you Know How to ride a 250, it's the best bang for the buck on the road. You just have to know how to ride one.:thumbup:

Ride safe, and get very good gear.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a ugly pre gen 250 for $1k and 2400miles thinking that I would get ride of it in a few weeks for a fz6. That dang bike is so much fun that 14k miles later it's parked in the garage next to my fz6. :eek: I now love the ugly bike.;)

I ride it harder than I do my fz6.:spank: I can rip it up on that thing, and still pull down 55mpg.:BLAA: I run 80mph on the highway all day long.:spank:

If you Know How to ride a 250, it's the best bang for the buck on the road. You just have to know how to ride one.:thumbup:

I've been craving another 250 since I got rid of mine for my FZ6. I wish I could afford two bikes. The ONLY thing the FZ6 has on the 250 is a TON more power and better long-distance ability. The 250 handles better, gets better mileage, and is more fun to ride IMO.

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site

yeah i couldnt afford 2 bikes... not to mention i barely have room for one bike... and im trying to have this bike for at least 2 years... im only 20 man and a student first lol..

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and you may or may not start laughing hysterically inside your helmet when you do open it up for the first time. I think I shed a tear of joy :rockon:. Oh man, good times. I wish it was like that every time, but you get used to the power.

Last edited:

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
so other then a small test ride.. tonight was the first time i rode it (for about an hr) and it was dark and the back roads here are like under construction so it was kind of scary! but im loveing the bike! only thing is its kind of hard to keep a steady speed.. it just either wants to keep speeding up or engine brake but i have only really crap photos i took with my phone right after my ride but ill get better pics soon!

533836_453710108013416_169126068_n.jpg

430587_453710078013419_118730575_n.jpg

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and you may or may not start laughing hysterically inside your helmet when you do open it up for the first time. I think I shed a tear of joy :rockon:. Oh man, good times. I wish it was like that every time, but you get used to the power.

i did push it a bit... but it was too dark and im not dumb/brave enough to really rip it lol i feel like under my helmet i looked like this tho: :eek:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
406919_453909991326761_2092226033_n.jpg

So after two rides the bike is tucked away for winter... :'(

Lookin good! I like the lower cowl. Makes me wanna get one for my bike. What kind of windscreen is that? And looks like you got the bike with Scorpion exhaust already installed. That saved you hundreds of dollars if you were ever going to upgrade the stock exhaust.

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice ride! Tucked away for the Winter??? Isn't it supposed to be in high 40's/low 50's in your neck of the woods all next week?? :BLAA:

yeah but there is some snow and a lot of ice on the road... colorado will give u a sunny almost hot day even tho there is snow on the ground lol but if im lucky it might clean up in a some time this week...

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
Lookin good! I like the lower cowl. Makes me wanna get one for my bike. What kind of windscreen is that? And looks like you got the bike with Scorpion exhaust already installed. That saved you hundreds of dollars if you were ever going to upgrade the stock exhaust.

Thxs! i believe the guy told me its a OEM windscreen.. but there is A LOT done to this bike!.. the forks were redone (guy was telling me i will hate it if i ever ride a stock fz6) the engine and suspension have both been tuned for some one that weights 195 (im 185ish).. it runs a little rich so its perfect for the mountains.. and there is more i cant even remember.. i really hit a gold mine...