Could use some advice!

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
So i am doing a test drive on a 2004 FZ6 today and was planing to get it for my first bike. So i was wondering if you guys think it would be ok for me but let me explain why.

-I have been riding mountain bikes for a long time so after getting a feel for the clutch (gears were nth new to me) i really flew thru the class. I got the figure 8 the first time and i only got points for lower my throttle on the swerve (after doing it flawlessly every single time before that...)

-I was told by my mom's friend and by my safety class instructor that i should get a 600cc bike. Iam 5'11'' and about 190lbs but i will be on the highway a lot after i am ready for it so my instructor said a 250 is really not safe when i was originally looking to get a KLX250sf

-Insurance for me is cheaper for me for the '04 FZ6 then it is for a new ninja 250... 4 times cheaper.... i have no idea why...

-So at the end of the first day my instructor said it would be ok if i tried out one of the bikes (im pretty sure it was a fz6) it was a 600cc yamaha and i only did a few rounds on the lot with it but, the power that you could just feel it was capable of scared the crap out of me but i knew to respect the bike and i really felt comfortable on it. Sure i still need a lot of practice but i feel like i have a lot of experience on two wheels.

-I know i will drop it eventually but the plan is to get sliders(i know it wount save much) and its a used bike so im will only cry for a few days when i drop it for the first time.. also im planing to pay around 2500-2800 for it so its not like im going out and buys a bike i could lose a few grand on...

Any input would be great so let me know if u have the time.. also dont feel like u are being harsh just let me have it as it is... ill post soon about how the test goes and try to figure out for sure what bike it was that i tried out...
thxs guys!!!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you remember this question in MSF (paraphrased): "How can you tell if someone might be a dangerous motorcyclist?"

What was your answer?

If you're mature and plan to ride your bike in a respectable manner and (mostly) obey traffic laws, used FZ6 should make for a very good first bike in your case.

You're relatively big, and while you absolutely can ride a Ninja 250 on the highway, it's definitely going to feel a bit small and underpowered.

FZ6 will be less forgiving (vs a 250) if you're jerky with the throttle; if you make a mistake during a slow speed maneuver (something like squeezing the clutch fully in when the bike is leaned over at very slow speed.. or grabbing front brake in same situation).. it's a lot heavier than a 250, so you'll be more likely to tip it over. It will also get to speed a hell of a lot quicker when you start to feel brave.. and this is where you'll have to exercise your maturity and make sure to not go beyond the limit of your abilities.

I'm going to predict the future by summing up the next ~15 replies :D :

* Few will say that this is A LOT of bike to start on. It has a LOT of power and the clutch is not very forgiving.

* Many will say that they started on this bike and had no problems at all (and many did drop them at one point or another).

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you remember this question in MSF (paraphrased): "How can you tell if someone might be a dangerous motorcyclist?"

What was your answer?

If you're mature and plan to ride your bike in a respectable manner and (mostly) obey traffic laws, used FZ6 should make for a very good first bike in your case.

You're relatively big, and while you absolutely can ride a Ninja 250 on the highway, it's definitely going to feel a bit small and underpowered.

FZ6 will be less forgiving (vs a 250) if you're jerky with the throttle; if you make a mistake during a slow speed maneuver (something like squeezing the clutch fully in when the bike is leaned over at very slow speed.. or grabbing front brake in same situation).. it's a lot heavier than a 250, so you'll be more likely to tip it over. It will also get to speed a hell of a lot quicker when you start to feel brave.. and this is where you'll have to exercise your maturity and make sure to not go beyond the limit of your abilities.

I'm going to predict the future by summing up the next ~15 replies :D :

* Few will say that this is A LOT of bike to start on. It has a LOT of power and the clutch is not very forgiving.

* Many will say that they started on this bike and had no problems at all (and many did drop them at one point or another).

to be honest with you i have gotten one big ticket ever... and i used to drive like a total dickhead (as most teenagers do) and now i really feel like, first of all i kind of got scared straight, but ive gotten over it lol even on wide open roads i just kind of coast to everywhere... at most i go like 10 mph above the speed limit... and usually dont even get in the fast lane anymore... i have been recently since the class talked about where the safest lane positions are.. and even tho i dont have a bike yet i try to act like i am on one and will always try to be in good spaceing, avoid being blocked in... i try to ride the line and try to watch what the traffic ahead is doing... and also pretend im on a bike at intersections... i know that sounds lame but i was told to do it so i get in practice of having that mind set.. that way by the time i start riding it will start to be a habit.. but about the clutch i know this bike has a very short friction zone but other then that what do you mean the clutch is unforgiving?
i felt like i was pretty good about clutch control but the bikes we were useing werent anything crazy... i felt like after you get a feel for the bike and practice just about any bike can be managed... but i understand what u mean... i honestly wouldnt trust myself with a bike if it was a few years ago.. but i feel like ill be ok now... i really dont want a bike to go fast.. i want one for the feeling and i would love to just go cruising up to the mountains!!1 oh and one more reason im thinking i shouldnt get the 250cc is because i live in high altitude and we get the full range of temps. my instructor told me to avoid carbs as they are too much to deal with for where we live... im pretty handy around a car but with bikes i am still learning how everything works...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may find some controversial answers on this. There are many factors and the one big factor is you. You will have to gain experience as a rider. Some riders do it faster than others. Learning to live in traffic is a very critical experience and some thing that has to be learned. You must be almost psychic, reading drivers and then temper your skills and emotional response. There are the other survival reactions that get riders in trouble. A great book to read as you're gaining experience "Twist of the Wrist"

I think you'll be okay with the FZ6 but you must respect this machine. Once you hit 8000 rpm she gets very serious and what you're doing with the right hand has a larger effect on what's happening at the rear wheel. This is where people will want to say the FZ6 is not for the beginner and rightfully so.

In other countries they have restrictions for new riders in the form of CC's or restrictor plates. In the US you can buy and ride a rocket as long as you pass the test and pay your money.
In the end you can hit a turn with a Ninja 250 or a Hyabusa and do the same damage to your body.

Make sure you get good protective gear and use it!

If I haven't done it before...:welcome:to the best forum on the WWW!!!

Last edited:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Like others have said, it's more about you than the bike. If you can keep your right hand in check while you learn the basics, you'll be fine. I started on a 650 single and the FZ6 is about the same up until 7000 rpm albeit with less torque. I've seen guys wad up 250's and the same amount start on SS 600's and be fine so there's no right answer for everyone. On the plus side, the FZ6 is really easy to work on (especially with all the info on this site) and parts are pretty cheap so when you drop it or crash, it's easier to fix.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
as long as you can be responsible there is no reason for you not to get what you want and feel is right for you. It's not the size of the motor, as you can easily get hurt on a 250 as bad as on a 600 or 1000. Good luck with you decision and ATGATT

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
to be honest with you i have gotten one big ticket ever... and i used to drive like a total dickhead (as most teenagers do) and now i really feel like, first of all i kind of got scared straight, but ive gotten over it lol even on wide open roads i just kind of coast to everywhere... at most i go like 10 mph above the speed limit... and usually dont even get in the fast lane anymore... i have been recently since the class talked about where the safest lane positions are.. and even tho i dont have a bike yet i try to act like i am on one and will always try to be in good spaceing, avoid being blocked in... i try to ride the line and try to watch what the traffic ahead is doing... and also pretend im on a bike at intersections... i know that sounds lame but i was told to do it so i get in practice of having that mind set.. that way by the time i start riding it will start to be a habit.. but about the clutch i know this bike has a very short friction zone but other then that what do you mean the clutch is unforgiving?
i felt like i was pretty good about clutch control but the bikes we were useing werent anything crazy... i felt like after you get a feel for the bike and practice just about any bike can be managed... but i understand what u mean... i honestly wouldnt trust myself with a bike if it was a few years ago.. but i feel like ill be ok now... i really dont want a bike to go fast.. i want one for the feeling and i would love to just go cruising up to the mountains!!1 oh and one more reason im thinking i shouldnt get the 250cc is because i live in high altitude and we get the full range of temps. my instructor told me to avoid carbs as they are too much to deal with for where we live... im pretty handy around a car but with bikes i am still learning how everything works...

I think you have the right attitude (at least for now :BLAA:) to successfully begin your riding career on FZ6.

Unforgiving clutch = short friction zone.. nothing more to it than that. It's very easy to shoot past the friction zone when it's that short. So you'll either stall or take off too abruptly (depending on throttle position at the moment). It's just something you have to get used to.. same practice as exercise 2 in BRC (part 1.. rocking) and it'll be second nature in a day or 2.

Absolutely nothing lame about driving your car like you would ride your bike! I suggest that to all our students and it's great to know that some listen :thumbup:

No reason NOT to practice setting entry speed, knowing what's around you 360, and always asking "what if" when you drive your car.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is a lot of bike for a beginner. It is heavy and powerful. I started on a Ninja 250 and it was plenty of bike for me for a few months. I put about 6K miles on it before I sold it for only $100 less than I bought it for.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If you feel you are mature enough to take it easy there is no reason why an FZ6 isn't a great beginner bike and still a great experienced rider bike. This makes it a great bike to grow into. I've had mine since 2007 and still have no desire or need to "upgrade" to something more powerful. Do you really need a bike faster than a 600 that will do 0-60 in like 4.5 seconds? Really? If you think that is too slow than you need to spend some time in a country where a 500cc is considered a "large" bike.

I started on a 250 but it was my brother's bike and I only rode it about 2,500 miles before I bought my FZ6 and never looked back. I never had a problem with it being "too much bike" for me and I'm only 140 lbs!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO, a 600 is a lot of bike for a beginner. I would suggest the 250 Ninja (which will be a 300 for 2013!), a 400, or a 500. Bigger singles work well also. There's lots of them out there and many are very inexpensive. In the beginning you are wanting to focus on the fundamentals, not be intimidated by the size, and a smaller bike is going to do just that plus inspire confidence. Can you hurt yourself on a 250? Yes you can hurt yourself on a bicycle as well. Is the 250 Ninja more expensive to insure? Check with another insurance company. I think we pay around $30\yr for liability for my wife and I on our EX250. Once you say Ninja to some insurance companies it puts you into a different category.

I maybe overly cautious, but I wouldn't have put my son on an FZ6 for his first bike. He's 25 and having a ball on an FZR400 and not looking for anything bigger anytime soon.

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
Thxs for all the replies guys!!! So first to respond to some of the things you guys said... The ninja isnt even an option for me.. i was quoted for 4000 a year for full coverage... that is waaaaaaay too much for me when i would try to pay that much for the bike it self.. and as far as driveing my car like it is a bike, i have been trying to read people how ever i guess i havent been working on entry speed but imho its really already second nature.. like i said i have a lot of time on two wheels just not two wheels and a motor... but it will definitely be something i will try to keep in mind form now on...

So like i said i went to check out a bike today and fortunately i had my msf instructor look at it.. basicly the bike looked a little rough but that was expected but everything else looked great and looked to be a great reliable ride... untill my instructor came back from a test drive... something with the forks was crooked.. and just hearing that scared me. my instructor told me either to walk away unless i can get it for like 1500 and send it straight to the shop... altho the idea kind of worried me.. i offered him 1700 and he declined... which im ok with lol.. but now im talking to a guy with a 2005 fz6... wish me luck!!!!

Last edited:

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
Also!!!! i found out the bike that i tried after my first day of class was a fz6r.. is the clutch on this not as rough as the fz6? when i tried the fz6r i started really slow however i had shifted gears on the bike and it didnt seem rough... also after i was told the it was crooked i didnt even bother do a test drive on the fz6 however i did sit on it and moved the weight around a bit and it felt pretty good.. i wasnt flat footed but my heel was like an inch off the ground...

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
You want my advice? Don't get a bike.

You get one and all of a sudden you have no time for anyone bc you're out riding, you have no money for anything because you can't stop modding, and chicks wont stop asking you for a ride.

Just spare yourself the trouble.

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
You want my advice? Don't get a bike.

You get one and all of a sudden you have no time for anyone bc you're out riding, you have no money for anything because you can't stop modding, and chicks wont stop asking you for a ride.

Just spare yourself the trouble.

lol dont worry i already dont have a life...

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, speaking from my personal experience, my FZ6 was, and is still, pretty much my starter (about 1100 miles in). I can understand why it might not be the best starter for everyone.

That being said, if you decide to go that route I'd be to pass on my friend's advice. Mind the throttle, keep it under 5000-6000rpm for a little while, take your time getting used to the clutch in 1st gear, and be safe. And enjoy the hell out of it. It's a great bike.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thxs for all the replies guys!!! So first to respond to some of the things you guys said... The ninja isnt even an option for me.. i was quoted for 4000 a year for full coverage... that is waaaaaaay too much for me when i would try to pay that much for the bike it self.. and as far as driveing my car like it is a bike, i have been trying to read people how ever i guess i havent been working on entry speed but imho its really already second nature.. like i said i have a lot of time on two wheels just not two wheels and a motor... but it will definitely be something i will try to keep in mind form now on...

So like i said i went to check out a bike today and fortunately i had my msf instructor look at it.. basicly the bike looked a little rough but that was expected but everything else looked great and looked to be a great reliable ride... untill my instructor came back from a test drive... something with the forks was crooked.. and just hearing that scared me. my instructor told me either to walk away unless i can get it for like 1500 and send it straight to the shop... altho the idea kind of worried me.. i offered him 1700 and he declined... which im ok with lol.. but now im talking to a guy with a 2005 fz6... wish me luck!!!!

I'm sure you already looked this up, but FZ6R puts out 65hp to rear wheel, whereas FZ6 puts out 85, in stock form. Weight is nearly identical (FZ6R is ~10 pounds heavier).

I've no idea how the clutch is on FZ6R though.

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure you already looked this up, but FZ6R puts out 65hp to rear wheel, whereas FZ6 puts out 85, in stock form. Weight is nearly identical (FZ6R is ~10 pounds heavier).

I've no idea how the clutch is on FZ6R though.

yeah i read that.. anyone try both bikes???

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
like others have said its more about the rider than the bike. the problem is you wont know if its too fast for your maturity level until after you have owned it for awhile. if you got a ninja 500 or gs500 now you may be able to sell it for more than you paid for it april i bet