Cortech Sport Tail Bag

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I tried your way today and still ran into the same problem. I think the problem is that little foam-pad that goes between the bag and the bike. At the front of my right bag, the pad slowly wiggles its way out from under that leading edge of the bag, leaving the textile material directly in contact with the blue plastic pod. As the bag wiggles a little during riding, the textile material is rubbing down the paint. I'll try to get a picture later for some suggestions on how to fix this problem. I am contemplating getting a new plastic for their, and the just putting this worn one on for when I use the bags.:confused:

I'm going to check to see if there's any way to move those pads around a bit or make them stay put somehow. Maybe it's just not quite tight enough? Try snugging them up a bit more even?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the nice pictures and everything, I am considering some luggage and actually your pictures help me lots with the desicion, I think I'll be doing long trips with my wife so I need that space, did you check the hard sidecase??? I think one of the brands is givi.

thanks

YW! I had given thought about the topcase but it isn't my style. Be sure to check with people who have other bags too. Mine is a biased opinion because I've used nothing but these Cortech bags. :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to check to see if there's any way to move those pads around a bit or make them stay put somehow. Maybe it's just not quite tight enough? Try snugging them up a bit more even?

I think what I am going to do is add another section of velcro between the bag and the pad. The bag comes with two pieces of it otherwise that are really the only thing holding the pad in place. I'll add a new one near the front of the bag to keep it from moving around. If that doens't work, I'll have to think of something else. I know I am strapping them down pretty tight, so I don't think that's the problem. No matter how tight you get them, they are going to move a little bit.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think what I am going to do is add another section of velcro between the bag and the pad. The bag comes with two pieces of it otherwise that are really the only thing holding the pad in place. I'll add a new one near the front of the bag to keep it from moving around. If that doens't work, I'll have to think of something else. I know I am strapping them down pretty tight, so I don't think that's the problem. No matter how tight you get them, they are going to move a little bit.

Sounds like a great idea! Let me know how you attach them and how well they hold. Pics too!

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
What's it like for you to get on and off the bike.

I'm not very flexible and as of now, my leg has to swing over the rear passenger seat. If the tail bag is there, I imagine my foot would hit the tailbag and prevent me from completing my leg sweep to mount/dismount the bike.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
What's it like for you to get on and off the bike.

I'm not very flexible and as of now, my leg has to swing over the rear passenger seat. If the tail bag is there, I imagine my foot would hit the tailbag and prevent me from completing my leg sweep to mount/dismount the bike.

Not sure about the others, but I do hit the tailbag when I mount/dismount. I stopped swinging my leg over the seat. Now i just kinda fold my leg so that the knee touches the seat first and then extend the leg over. i mount the tail bag a bit more rearward so that I dont hit so many times.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the largest topcase from Givi and I like it for my city commuting because it locks. I lock my backpack in it and when i get off I lock my jacket etc... in it. Also, it is waterproof. I does look big and detracts from the sporty look. Together with the Puig screen it is not so bad - gives is a touring look. I thought about the soft cases, but for my purpose of ccommuting this is better for me.

Todd08

Molly and Jacks Dad
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice step by step pics. If you wanted to hook you bungies together you can cut them to what ever length you want then re-tie the ends and burn the cut end with a lighter. :thumbup: I also bought the micro tank bag from New enough and I really llike it. Its very compact and looks good on the bike. Its big enough for my wallet, gloves, glasses, house keys. Its perfect for the daily trips. I plan on getting the saddle bags to go with tail bag this winter. If you get the saddle bags post the install please:D

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
bag5.jpg

bag18.jpg

Do you simply take the bag off leaving the foam with the Velcro on the bike?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I stand up next to the handlebar and swing my leg over the lowest part of the rider seat then pivot myself back over and on to the seat. If you stand that far forward and watch as you lead with the foot over the rider seat, you're all set!

Gemini77

Reaction score
Visit site
still trying to find a good way to mount them, I have after market exhaust and don't wont the bungee to get burned from the pipe or scratch the paint on the rear hand bars.....any suggestions with more pic's????

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
1. Great writeup. I have used my identical tailbag for 6 months (also on one of those BEAUTIFUL RED FZ6's), and love it. It typically houses my rain gear, laptop, planner, and jeans (to wear at work when I change from my riding pants). I still hope to pack it with stuff for a weekend getaway of riding, but that hasn't happened.... After seeing mine, a buddy bought one for his SV650.

2. Thanks for the photos of the saddlebags- I have considered buying them, but wondered how they looked on our bikes.

3. As for straps, I attach the rear hooks to the underside of the back grabrail (thread through & then hook underneath). I have not seen any scratches on that piece, yet. For that matter, I do not have any scratches on the bezel above the taillight, either.

4. As for getting on/off the bike, I am have fairly long legs, and just kick over the top of the bag- it take some getting used to, and, yes, I have embarrased myself a few times.

5. Finally, bag removal: I am lucky enough to leave the bag on the bike at work & home, but when I need to remove it, I take it entirely off the bike. Not as quick an exercise as removing a tank bag, but it works.

Have fun, be safe.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got one of these a couple of weeks ago from another member. I had been wanting one ever since seeing this thread and finally one was available for the right price.

I had been using my First Gear tank bag as a tailbag to get me by and loved it. The only problem is that since it was made as a tank bag it didn't have bungee cords so I had to ziptie it in place. It worked fine but I couldn't take the bag with me. Another thing is that bag is not expandable. Now that fall is here, I need to carry my raingear at all times, plus have room for lunch, notebook, etc.

The Cortech Sport bag is perfect! First of all it is very well built. The zippers are easy to operate even with gloves on and work smoothly. Second, the dimensions are PERFECT for the FZ6. It sits so nicely on the back; almost like it was made for this bike.

Coolest and unexpected thing is that it looks just like a nylon briefcase when carrying it around. I work with surgeons, venture capitalists, and other executive type folks so image is important. I have no problem carrying this bag into a meeting as it looks just like my actual briefcase.

Final good point; it is made to connect with cortech saddle bags so I have that option when I need even more room.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: