Cooling temperature correct or defect 100 degrees

richardv

Reaction score
Visit site
Gents and ladies,

Need to check something. Having a couple of months a S2 from 2007 with about 14000 miles. First;

The temperature goes slowly up about 100 degrees Celsius (oC). (degrees Fahrenheit (oF) 212).

Is that normal. I think it is but need to be sure!)

I owned a 2005 FZ6 and if I was not mistaking the fan kept on running while the ignation was of but the engine was still hot and not to 100 ! . In other words... If I park my FZ6 S2 from 2007 very hot and turn of the engine and remove the key the fan stops..(STILL AT 100 degrees Celsius (oC). )Is that normal.

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds normal to me. My 2007 will go up to 212F (100C) routinely on hot days. I don't recall exactly, but my cooling fan starts around 200F, give or take. Also, yes the fan should shut off when you turn off the bike and remove the key.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike the dealer's advice during the break in period was to be careful of excess heat.

My bike is usually around 185 when moving, but hits around 200 when stopped. When I stop the bike I stop it with the kill switch, but leave the ignition on. You can see the temperature then continue to rise and then the fan kicks in. I let the fan run for a couple of mins and then restart the bike and watch until the temp drops to around 185 or so. This is a habit that I got into during break in and never got out of.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike the dealer's advice during the break in period was to be careful of excess heat.

My bike is usually around 185 when moving, but hits around 200 when stopped. When I stop the bike I stop it with the kill switch, but leave the ignition on. You can see the temperature then continue to rise and then the fan kicks in. I let the fan run for a couple of mins and then restart the bike and watch until the temp drops to around 185 or so. This is a habit that I got into during break in and never got out of.

Is the water pump also going, to circulate the cooled water through the engine water jackets? Or is your fan just cooling the water in the radiator?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Gents and ladies,

Need to check something. Having a couple of months a S2 from 2007 with about 14000 miles. First;

The temperature goes slowly up about 100 degrees Celsius (oC). (degrees Fahrenheit (oF) 212).

Is that normal. I think it is but need to be sure!)

I owned a 2005 FZ6 and if I was not mistaking the fan kept on running while the ignation was of but the engine was still hot and not to 100 ! . In other words... If I park my FZ6 S2 from 2007 very hot and turn of the engine and remove the key the fan stops..(STILL AT 100 degrees Celsius (oC). )Is that normal.

Nearly ANY internal combustion engine gets hotter after you cut it off. (This is why it is good to let air-cooled engines "idle down" for a moment before you kill them, after zipping down the road/trail. It lets the heat from different areas of the engine sort of "generalize")
I don't worry about it on a water-cooled engine. The fan on my Fazer cuts off whenever you kill the ignition but the fan on my son's Ninja runs sometimes, even if the key is out of the switch. (It's just all in the way the manufacturer wires them up)
I can see it either way but at least this way, on a very hot summer day after a long hard ride, (or lots of stop and go city traffic), our battery will stand a better chance of having a full charge when we come back to them hours later! (Just my opinion)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My standard 2007 rarely goes over 185' F in SW Florida in heavy traffic during the summer. Right now, with cooler temps, 165-175'F. It also warms up fairly quickly.

If your anti-freeze hasn't been changed in 2 years, its due. Fresh anti-freeze will help with keeping temps down (as long as everything else is working properly). It made a big difference in my 04 FJR, cools off quicker, stays cooler while running as well. The FZ, didn't make as much a difference (perhaps because the engine isn't covered in fairings) but I did see a change.. Fresh anti-freeze also helps lubricate the water pump mechanical seal...

When the engine is cold, you can start up the bike, with the radiator cap off and let the bike idle. As it warms up, you'll eventually see water moving in the top of the radiator as the thermostat opens.

Its pretty easy to change out, I used the premixed Prestone and am very happy with the results...