cooling fan question

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
I already know this is a stupid question but I just wanted to run it by you guys. I rode my bike to work this morning (about 20 mins.) it was cool this morning. Probably about 60 degrees F. When I shut the bike off at work I heard a fan still running. I was parked next to a few other bikes and thought it must be someone else's bike that had just got there. I have never had my bike do that and most of the time I ride it is a LOT warmer than it was this morning. I can't believe that I have never by chance shut the bike off at the same time the fan was running and needed to keep cooling the bike until today. I guess my real question is: will the fan continue to run even after the key is shut off? Again I know it is a dumb question it just was something out of the ordinary for me.

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, mine won't work after the key is turned to off.

By my experience, over here we have very hot days in summer, when the engine temperature reaches the 100 degrees Celsius, the fan kicks in and drops only after the thermometer shows less than 95. Such thing only happens when I'm riding in the city though, never on open highways where it stays between 83-87 degrees Celsius, depending on the intensity I'm riding and weather.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Same.
Riding around town in stop start traffic,the fan usually kicks in,but on a long run the wind cools down the block and it stays off.
And it will stop soon as you remove the key.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
It must have been the bike next to me. I didn't think it could be a coincidence. I also didn't think anything was powered when the key was in the off position. I guess this confirms it huh? Thanks guys!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It must have been the bike next to me. I didn't think it could be a coincidence. I also didn't think anything was powered when the key was in the off position. I guess this confirms it huh? Thanks guys!

That's correct. On the FZ6 the fan will not run with the key off. However, if you had hit the kill switch with the key in the on position then the headlamp and fan can still be on. You can always check the fan by looking at it. Doesn't hurt to spin your fan by hand to check that it's free because FZ6 fans have been known to get a pebble stuck between it and the radiator and fail...