Cool weather riding tip

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finnally tried a tip I was given recently. When riding to work on the interstate at roughly 4am, with temperatures in the mid 40s, my fingers would be numb by the time I got to work, even with my insulated gloves. After talking to a guy who rides a Harley, he said I should try rubber latex surgical gloves under my riding gloves. Well with temperatures in the upper 40s this morning, I decided to give it a shot. It works pretty good! Got to work today and my fingers werent cold in the slightest. Figured I would pass this along to anybody else who might not know.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I did that for a few rides but the lack of breathable material led to cold, sewaty hands after a while. I went for some silk glove liners (like $12) and I was much happier. But latex gloves do work in a pinch.

oregonative56

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear latex gloves occasionally at work, and they are full of sweat when I take them off. I recently installed grip heaters and love em. Rode 175 miles yesterday in 45-50 degree weather and was perfectly comfortable. Well worth 45 bucks and a couple hours install time.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
does anyone ever use the radiator hose to warm your hand?

All the time. You can easily grab the left radiator hose while riding to warm up your left hand. If I'm riding more than 30 minutes in cooler weather I stop before my hands get numb and warm them up on the engine block.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
does anyone ever use the radiator hose to warm your hand?

I often reach down and grab the sides of the engine to warm my hands at stops. Once I pulled off to the side of the road to do so, I guess I looked a little funny leaning over the bike because a car pulled over to see if I was OK.

Has anybody else ever wondered why no one has figured out a way to harvest heat from the cooling system to provide heat to the rider? You know, the ways cars do it? We struggle with inadequate electrical output, yet there is a veritable ocean of heat in the cooling system, if only it could be tapped.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I often reach down and grab the sides of the engine to warm my hands at stops. Once I pulled off to the side of the road to do so, I guess I looked a little funny leaning over the bike because a car pulled over to see if I was OK.

Has anybody else ever wondered why no one has figured out a way to harvest heat from the cooling system to provide heat to the rider? You know, the ways cars do it? We struggle with inadequate electrical output, yet there is a veritable ocean of heat in the cooling system, if only it could be tapped.

I'm sure there's a way! Perhaps flexible hoses that route engine coolant straight from the block through the hand grips, with a simple shut off valve to send it all through the radiator instead, for warm weather use.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
(stuff snipped) Has anybody else ever wondered why no one has figured out a way to harvest heat from the cooling system to provide heat to the rider? You know, the ways cars do it? We struggle with inadequate electrical output, yet there is a veritable ocean of heat in the cooling system, if only it could be tapped.

I've wondered that myself!

Back on topic: I've found Gortex outer shell mittens with the index finger over my riding gloves (down to around high 40s) or liners (40 - mid 50s) work wonders.