Cooking / baking thread!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw a video on my barbeque forum wherein the guy separated a chicken's skin from the meat, and then filling the pockets with mexican chorizo sausage. That sounded really good, so I tried it this morning. I brined the clucker yesterday, then let it air-dry in the fridge overnight, then pushed some fresh chorizo under the skin and onto the smoker with pecan wood.
I screwed up somehow on the temp, took it off way too early and the breasts were still undercooked, as was the chorizo. Tossed everything in a pan in the oven until the breast meat was cooked.
Whoa! It was a bit dried out from being cooked twice, but dayam that was tasty! I'm gonna have to experiment with this recipe, there's some fantastic potential.
For my European friends, mexican chorizo is a bit different than spanish chorizo. The mexican variety falls apart into a really fine grind and is hard to degrease; but stuffing it over chicken breasts allowed the meat to absorb some of it and the rest drain out. Yum!
That sounds really good!

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I made some 'kabobs this last week...they were really good. Marinated the meat with a olive oil/spice mixture, then brushed it on everything after putting it on the grill.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Country-style Ribs:

CountryRibs.jpg

I've never tried the "3-2-1" method of making ribs before, so I gave it a shot today. Basically you smoke the ribs at 250 indirect for 3 hours, then wrap them in foil with a liquid, seal tightly, put back on the indirect heat for 2 more hours, then unwrap, drain, and put back on the grill (this time direct heat) to firm up the bark. The liquid can be barbeque sauce, honey, broth, citrus juice, beer, etc.
I wrote up a list for the grocery store to make my own barbeque sauce, but I went to the farmer's market first in downtown Ogden and found a lady who canned her own barbeque sauce, so I bought a pint from her instead. Very tasty, and she wasn't afraid to use a few chipotles! Also picked up local tomatoes, peaches, and peppers; ended up only buying apple juice and a foil pan at the grocery store.
Smoked the ribs until they hit 160. Put them in the foil pan and covered with 1 part of that barbeque sauce, 3 parts apple juice, covered with foil, and placed it back in the Egg.
The ribs hit 200 after only an hour, so I took them out and let them rest in the liquid while I heated the Egg up to grilling temperature. I spread half the ribs with the barbeque sauce, left half plain, and grilled them (they were done in 15 minutes). So, my "3-2-1" was actually a "3-1-0.25", but I cook to temperature and not time.
They were very tasty, and moist (I did forget to brine the ribs, which I usually do, but the foil cooking probably replaced it). I don't usually foil my ribs, and I'm not sure it was worth the trouble, but had to try it once. I do think next Saturday I'll find that lady and buy a few more pints of her sauce, good stuff! :thumbup:

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I made some 'kabobs this last week...they were really good. Marinated the meat with a olive oil/spice mixture, then brushed it on everything after putting it on the grill.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I did some myself, last weekend. Chicken thighs, baby 'bellas, cherry tomatoes, red onion, red bell pepper, and summer squash. Marinade was olive oil, white wine vinegar, and Montreal Chicken Seasoning (sea salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, I think). Marinated the chicken overnight and served it over basmati. Forgot to take a photo, though... :banghead: :D

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
This, has me intrigued! Recipe/pics? :)

+1! Big fan of pierogies!

since im at school, i just buy the bagged pierogies (potato and cheese)

boil them

get the skillet hot and add in:

Butter
creole seasoning (just enough to be sprinkled over all of the skillet, but dont cover the bottom)
cholula chipotle sauce (to taste)
squeeze a little lime/lemon in there
and a dash of blackoned seasoning

i like to season the pan, not the food

toss in the pierogies and smother them in the sauce simmering in the pan

cook on medium heat until they start to get a little crispy.

Note of caution: sometimes when i make these i get a lot of smoke and steam, and it will set the fire detector off. im not sure why but it only does this 20-30% of the time, i just have to open the kitchen window.

ill post pics the next time i make them, maybe even a video...

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
When I had land, I love to BBQ Turkey! Clean it, no stuffing, poke holes in and shove some fresh Rosemary into it.

On a round Weber BBQ get the coals going and fan them out to the perimiter. Place an aluminum pan in the middle to catch the dripping and keep it hydrated. Add briqquets around the edge every 20 minutes. Its not rocket science and figure a 15lb bird will take about 2.5 hours. Its Yummy! Also - you can season and/or beer the pan too.

WEBER, round black thing that you stick charcoal and meat into...

if you aren't grilling with charcoal you're doin it wrong.

singe-smoke-juice-kiss:

- put the meat over the fire to firm it up (mainly just for ground meats)

- move to the side and close the vents about half way

- re-open the vents and baste

- put back over the heat and let the flame kiss the meat, caramelizing the baste/glaze

easy, always works, and makes it really hard to torch whatever it is you are cooking

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Yasko, I'm doing pork ribs on my BBQ tomorrow night, do you weber them or slow cook over a low grill, oven bake?
and what marinade if any?

I can taste them already yuuummm

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Yasko, I'm doing pork ribs on my BBQ tomorrow night, do you weber them or slow cook over a low grill, oven bake?
and what marinade if any?

I can taste them already yuuummm

Indirect on a gas grill.:spank:

1/4 cup Brown sugar, 1tbsp salt, 1tpsb pepper, 1tpsp onion powder, 1tbsb cayenne, 1/4 cup paprika, 1tbsb chili powder, and 1tbsb garlic powder.:sinister:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
he he he sounds good I'll report back tomorrow nite thx mate

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Indirect on a gas grill.:spank:

1/4 cup Brown sugar, 1tbsp salt, 1tpsb pepper, 1tpsp onion powder, 1tbsb cayenne, 1/4 cup paprika, 1tbsb chili powder, and 1tbsb garlic powder.:sinister:

You're from Texas. That's cheating! Low and slow on the smoker is the only way to do ribs.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
and Im from Australia, we too, have a reputation for barbies, but I'm, gonna do these ribs after work so,while Id love to fire up the weber and smoke 'em over a long slow heat, I will do the indirect gas grill in the covered bbq otherwise I wont be eating til 10 o'clock ---- I'll be starving ha ha

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I put beer, and soy sauce on them every time I checked the cooking.:cheer:

I didn't use a smoker because I wanted to taste the meat, and not the smoke this time.:spank:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the things I love about late summer/early fall are the farmers markets! Got a nice haul again this morning:

Market.jpg

There was an older Japanese couple that had orient-oriented (har!) vegetables, I got a bunch of baby bok choy for $1! The pan on the left is a "salsa assortment", which I thought was a pretty clever idea (it was actually a clever way to sell produce with minor blemishes, but only the onion had to be tossed, everything else was fine, just some things not "pretty").

I used half the tomatoes fresh, and grilled the other half, along with another onion, and four different chiles (serrano, jalapeno, anaheim and what looked like a skinny Anaheim).

Roasting.jpg

I took the tomatoes off first, let the chiles get their skins blackened, then let them steam to loosen their skins:

Steaming.jpg

Zipped everything up in the food processor along with three cloves of fresh garlic (included) and some salt. I'm gonna need more chips!

Finished-1.jpg

Ogden's Farmer's Market keeps getting better. There's always a huge, delicious-looking selection of fresh-baked breads and pastries, different cooked-food vendors, home-made jams, salsas and barbeque sauces (had to buy another jar of that). There's also a lot of artists booths set up, along with a band and many street musicians (saw a country duo, a mandolinist, and a blues saxophonist who I'm glad was pretty good, you could hear him everywhere). There was also a lady pushing a baby buggy with a full-grown goose in it; the kids all enjoyed petting it and I didn't ask any questions... :rolleyes:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry i didnt report in

the ribs were fantastic i had them in marinade for 12 hours and baking in the bbq for an hour
def going to do this again

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry i didnt report in

the ribs were fantastic i had them in marinade for 12 hours and baking in the bbq for an hour
def going to do this again

No photos?:confused:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
you are right

ill do it again

i consider myself 'told'
lol