Considering the FZ6

JW2911

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I am new to the site. I am in the market for a new bike and I am seriously considering a 2006 FZ6. I have always liked the looks of them and they seem to be a solid bike. I am also considering a Gen 1 FZ1 as well. I have spent time on a GSXR600, and 2000 VFR800 as well so this is what I am used to.

Living in Colorado I will be commuting, doing canyon runs, heading up to the mountains, eventually doing some track time and sometimes be bringing my wife along on trips (not the track). So I want the best do it all bike I can get. Between the two bikes what are your thoughts and opinions for the type of riding I will be doing in Colorado.

Thanks guys

Reaction score
www.advancedplatingtech.com
I bought a 2009 FZ6 as my first bike and I couldn't be more satisfied with it. My friend bought a 2004 FZ6 as his first bike and shares similar sentiments. I have had mine for almost a year now, and I still have plenty to grow into. I am always thinking of what my next bike will be, but I don't ever want to get rid of this one.

If you're looking for a versatile "do-it-all" bike, this is a great candidate.

There are a good amount of mods available. The bike is both fast and comfortable. It's sharp-looking (dual undertail exhaust, my favorite feature). It is well-built and reliable. It can be both docile and aggressive.

Good luck with your purchase. Gear up, ride safely, and HAVE FUN!!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Starting 4th season on a 6! Great bike. Not sure how the suspension compares to Gen 1 1, but for basic riding and certainly for 2up, the front of the Fizzer needs a couple extra bucks thrown at it. SO keep that in mind!

Figure 125 to make fair and 250 to make what you think it should be. I can't tolerate the mushy nose but everyone has different experiences and performance expectations.

I've only ridden maybe 250 miles 2up but mainly just rip on it. It does the later part well with a few minor tweaks and as stated, you can putt about on it easy too! Insurance will likely be cheaper also!

Good luck what ever you decide!

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
What's to consider?? the most forgiving ride you can get with some decent pace :)

I would however air on the side of caution personally for passengers and touring - My missus last 120 miles on the back, that wasn't very comfortable, plus the high revving engine on high speed routes isn't very comfortable. Other than that I can't fault the bike.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had FZ6 for few years and GenII FZ1 for a couple of years. Not exactly what you're asking about (since you're considering GenI), but here are some thoughts:

1. FZ1 is much better, low-end and power-wise for 2up (no surprise there).
2. GenI FZ1 is carburated, right? That would be a turn-off for me (nothing wrong with carbs, but having had many vehicles with carbs and FI.. I know I prefer FI).
3. Fuel consumption will be very similar.. GenI's typically report mid 40's.
4. I would rather have FZ6 on the track (well.. vs GenII FZ1.. I've never ridden GenI). FZ6 has a much lighter, more flickable feel and unlike FZ1, actually requires shifting on the track :thumbup:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
My gf and I have done a fair amount of 2upping this last summer. Its not bad, though not great. We probably logged 2,500 miles this summer together, and a total log of 12,000 total on the bike for the summer. The most miles in a day we did together was about 300 and thats the max we wanted to go. If we had plans on doing alot more 2upping, I'd be considering an FJR1300 or something that accomidates a passenger a little better. Otherwise I had no problem logging 600+ in a day by my self.
Yeah the nose is a little spongey, and no its not a supersport, it never will be.
But, for the touring I do each year, Its almost perfect!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't get a carbed bike, I prefer to just start it and forget on cold days lol. It's just less problems, my 00 gsxr 750 was the first year FI (600 & 1000 still carbed) but it had a fast idle switch which was nifty as opposed to the computer doing it for you.

You will really like the six, there isn't much that can take it on the street, but the power is either there or it isn't, so if your just put putting around town power is a gear drop or two away. (Caution--- wheelies will happen when you choose this method :D )

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the nose is a little spongey, and no its not a supersport.

I Tell that to the squids on their fancy bikes as I'm walking it lol.

My brothers face when he was looking at my fz9.

"So why did you buy a 600?"

Me: "try 850 bro." :)

Him: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the best forum on the Interweb! :rockon:

I've worked on a few of these bikes over the years (mostly mods and maint.) and can tell you this bike is very reliable and does a bit of everything. I don't know where you'll find a bike that does what this bike does for the dollar. :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2006 FZ6 brand new! I still have it, still love it. That tells you a thing or two!

It's not bad for 2-up if your combined weight is 300lbs or less (My wife and I combined are only 260 lbs) but larger people will find the suspension and power borderline for 2-up.

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Had three bikes at one time

2005 Honda xr650l with full mods and was a wheelie king :rockon:

2005 Suzuki sv650 full streetfightered out and is a badass bike, turned like it was on rails and stopped quick but after 90 minutes it was not so comfortable :thumbup:

2006 YAMAHA Fz6 most comfortable out of the three and found myself choosing this one more and more, motor pulls on the SV650 when over 7k rpm and can ride all day :cheer:

SOLD the xr650l and the sv650, gonna mod the FZ a bit and ride on :rockon: and think you will be happy for many mile on the FZ6

If you are dead set on getting a liter bike I strongly suggest checking out a Suzuki Bandit 1200. While not the prettiest bike the power delivery is full torque at 3500rpm on those versys like on the FZ1 where its around 8k rpm. The reason I don't own a bandit is I like to keep my license and will stick with the smaller displacement motos.

Last edited:

JW2911

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow guys, this is some great info and exactly what I was needing to hear. I really appreciate the input. I have to agree about the carbed verse FI, living in Colorado I will be going through a lot of elevation changes as well, not to say that the FZ1 wouldn't do well, but I really like FI and and what it offers. Now if it were the Gen II FZ1 then it would be a different story.

A lot of good stuff to consider, thank you guys.

Blackcombe

Reaction score
Visit site
Mate just my 2 cents worth also being new, I just come from a TTR250 road trail bike and my bike mechanic (family friend) was my first point of call for directions on an upgrade, Without hesitation he advised the FZ6 (not bad considering he's a Suzuki fan himself), says they are bullet proof, very forgiving, more bike than most will need therefore wont be looking to upgrade in 12 months time, easy and economical to maintain, fuel injected and with upright seating very comfortable for commuting as well as hitting the corners.
Couple months in now and not having owned any other road bikes to compare too I must say he set me on the right path, ill recommend the FZ6 to anyone in the same position.
I have the 2004 FZ6 naked.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow guys, this is some great info and exactly what I was needing to hear. I really appreciate the input. I have to agree about the carbed verse FI, living in Colorado I will be going through a lot of elevation changes as well, not to say that the FZ1 wouldn't do well, but I really like FI and and what it offers. Now if it were the Gen II FZ1 then it would be a different story.

A lot of good stuff to consider, thank you guys.

Why is Gen2 FZ1 not on your list? 07 can be had for ~4k these days. No doubt a bit more than 04 FZ6, but not crazy-expensive either.
Of course fuel eco is much worse on Gen2 (~35mpg), but on all other counts.. amazing bike! (not to say FZ6 is not amazing.. it is!)

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Why is Gen2 FZ1 not on your list? 07 can be had for ~4k these days. No doubt a bit more than 04 FZ6, but not crazy-expensive either.
Of course fuel eco is much worse on Gen2 (~35mpg), but on all other counts.. amazing bike! (not to say FZ6 is not amazing.. it is!)

Keep in mind that the FZ6 mileage will get pretty bad if you open things up!

I usually get around 30mpg on my FZ6, but then i like to keep her above 7000rpm, and she sees 13000rpm pretty much every time i take her out.

Not trying to be contradictory, just want to make sure you don't buy an FZ6 expecting amazing mpg.

Last edited:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that the FZ6 mileage will get pretty bad if you open things up!

I usually get around 30mpg on my FZ6, but then i like to keep her above 7000rpm, and she sees 13000rpm pretty much every time i take her out.

Not trying to be contradictory, just want to make sure you don't buy an FZ6 expecting amazing mpg.

My mpg is around 30 as well, but I have to admit that I have an addiction to listening to the engine wind up a bit between shifts.:steve:
I bought my 08 new in 2009 and have had very little maintenance expenses, of course mods are a different story.:spank:

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
You came to the right place to get a glowing review of this bike. We're pretty much all sold across the board!

I agree with all of the previous posters here. This bike does most everything well if not very well. I have to admit I don't know about 2up. My wife won't get near the bike at all. i figure I ride that much quicker for it.

Don't hesitate, buy the '6.

JW2911

Reaction score
Visit site

I have but my budget dictates what I can afford. I need to stay in the low 3k range.

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
I have but my budget dictates what I can afford. I need to stay in the low 3k range.

You've already heard plenty but here's another glowing review - for both!

I just got an 09 FZ6 as my first bike. I don't think I'll be looking at anything else for years! At 410 dry it's a very flickable bike, great all-around bike (cruise easily, or break our your kneepads - either way!). Leading up to my purchase I was test riding my best buds 2002/03 (I forget which..) FZ1. Carb'd bikes give me pause, outside of that I'd say a few less gear changes required for noob riders like me on the FZ1 compared to the FZ6. FZ6 is easier to launch I have to say (His FZ1 at least has a very testy clutch, and the slightest rev on the throttle sends it screaming..). It could be his bike was in need of a tune, but the stop-go touchy-ness of the clutch combined with the power of the FZ1 made it a little tougher commute-wise in my mind. The 'ride' though between the 2 is nearly the same, with the FZ1 sitting about a half inch taller in the seat from the ground (important to folks like me that always get called to put the star on the tree, or to change all the lightbulbs...)

I don't think you will regret 'either' bike honestly. Any way you can get seat time on both before deciding?