Considering FZ6/FZ6R as 2nd bike

k6gad

Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking about buying a second bike to use as a daily commuter. I used to have an FZ1 and have ridden an FZ6. They both are great bikes but want something a little more relaxing than the FZ1. Wondering if anyone has had experience with both the FZ6 and FZ6R. Is there a big difference in these two bikes? Just going to hang out here for a while and read as much as I can.
Thanks
Gary

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I've sat on both, but I've only 'ridden' my FZ6.
The seating position and ergonomics are the same. The "R" model might be 1" shorter at most.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
welcome to the forum. What is your current ride? I have coveted the FZ6 for years and im almost 100% sure on getting a new FZ6 over the Bandit 1250 within the next few months. Gonna be a bog change from a big old vulcan. I might cry when someone takes her home after all the work ive done.

:welcome:

so, yeah my post doesn't help you out im sure but just wanted to say hey. ;)

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I just sat on the FZ6R last week at the local dealer, and I find the FZ6 to be more comfortable. Not sure why, but I found the riding position on the FZ6R to be a bit cramped (I'm 6'-0'' tall). If you're coming from an FZ1, I think you might get bored quickly with the FZ6R as it puts out roughly 76 hp instead of upper 90's like the FZ6 does.

I'm not hatin' on the FZ6R... just stating the facts.

mib7289

Reaction score
Visit site
i think there wasa little nicer ride in the FZ6 than the fz6r.... i was a fan of both but i am 6'5" and i have hit 92mph (still breaking it in and dont want to hit much higher yet, but it will go higher) on my fz6 with minimal wind resistance. that sold me to the fz6. the R was still nice tho I had a cbr 600before nd to be honest bro i could not be happier with the transition. the fz6 had all the power the cbr had and it was a way more smooth and relaxing ride.

Fishmac

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my FZ6 late last summer and got around 5k miles on her before I had to put her down for the winter. Late last fall when I saw the 'R I was a little disappointed that I didn't wait. Then I commenced to doin' my homework.

The 'R has a different (cheaper) frame and I think slightly different ergo's. It's much more of an entry bike with a motor that's missing quite a bit of punch. I like the full fairing look, but for all around riding, I just can't get over how easy it is and how much all around fun I can have on the regular old Z.

I'm not sayin' the 'R is a bad bike, I'm sure it's a blast too. But spend the extra bucks and get yourself the FZ6. You won't regret it.

... then again, this isn't the FZ6R forum now, is it.

OOOH, late add. I just referenced the website and did a comparo of the two bikes. The 'R is a little shorter, a little longer wheel base, 1 more degree of rake on the forks, and 3mpg better. But if you're gettin' mileage, I think you're givin' somewhere else.

Last edited:

k6gad

Reaction score
Visit site
My current bike has plenty of punch. It's a 2006 Triumph Rocket III. It's a great motorcycle, lots of power, handles well, fun on long rides, comfortable. The thing is it's a pain to drive around town. A bit too wide to lane-share safely. With a full tank it's about 700+ pounds. That's why I am looking at a smaller "standard" type bike. I have sat on both the FZ6 and the FZ6R and there is not much difference in riding position. The seat on the R was not a comfortable for me but that's easy to change. I think one of my local dealers has an FZ6 listed for a few hundred LESS than the FZ6R, so that may help make up my mind. Thanks for your input.
Gary

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 | FZ6R
Power +20 bhp
Torque +6 ft/lb
Frame No Weld CFD Aluminum | Primitive Tubular Steel, Heavy
Looks YMMV I love naked more, Farings available which are great, better looking | Fairings cover that beauty of an engine
Swingarm Aluminum, Modern | Steel, primitive, heavy
Headlight YMMV | Good candidate for naked conversion
Tail Banana seat is OK | Two piece FZ1 style is HOT
Seat height Non-adjustable, Tall | Adjustable
Handlebars Same | Adjustable
Gauge Cluster Better | Same but some compromises
Colors Limited choice | Super collection
Future Probably discontinued, but you will have a unique bike | Bright
Brakes 4-piston | 2-piston

VERDICT:

FZ6 Wins!

Last edited:

Ooter

Reaction score
Visit site
Full disclosure: I just bought an FZ6R and have not ridden the FZ6 :) I also came from a Ninja250 so a riding lawnmower would probably feel powerful to me ;)

From my one experience riding the bike (I got it yesterday!), I find the bike to have plenty of power for my purposes - commuting, around town riding, and the occasional trip up to the mountains. The acceleration is enough to make me feel like i'm going to fall off the back if I don't lean forwards a bit when I get on the throttle. That's to say, I think its plenty :)

The seating position is great, I rode for 45 minutes without the slightest bit of fatigue. I'm sure the seating position is similar to the FZ6 given that it has similar geometry.

It is true however that the FZ6 has more horsepower, better suspension, a better frame etc. For those reasons I intended on buying a new FZ6 this year, but I couldn't find one at my dealer. The dealer had every color of FZ6R in stock but not a single FZ6 and said they didn't expect to get anymore.

I'd imagine you'd be happy with both bikes, but given that you're coming from an FZ1 and FZ6 might be more your style due to its decidedly higher-tech components. No gripes about the FZ6R from me though! :thumbup:

Fishmac

Reaction score
Visit site
Cycle World has conducted a web review of the FZ6R. It reads like they really enjoyed the bike. Of course, they totally failed to mention the FZ6, almost writing the review as if the FZ6 doesn't exist.

Try this link: http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=1064

Bottom line is like I said before. The 'R is probably fun too. I'm sure you'll enjoy either!!