Completing Main Stand Job

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi People,

I am fitting the main stand myself and need a bit of help. I have fixed all the nuts and bolts and the stand itself. My problem is now how do i fit the springs because they are really toughened.

I will post the pics and the write up later of how it all went down.

Ta,

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Install the spring into one end, then pull the other end of the spring with some strong pliers. It'll take some muscle, and don't use your fingers.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Install the spring into one end, then pull the other end of the spring with some strong pliers. It'll take some muscle, and don't use your fingers.

Vice Grips are best. That way you can clamp them down and don't have to worry about your arm getting tired and letting the darn spring flying out and kill something.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Forget the vicegrips :thumbdown: go & get yourself one of these,a proper spring puller.You should be able to get one where they sell mechanic tools :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Get two rolls of pennies. Bend spring and put pennies in the open areas, bend the other way and put pennies in. Walla instant long spring.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
This is exactly my dilema right now. Same issue - I reinstalled the center stand that had been removed before I bought the bike, and ordered new springs as they were missing. Now its all together, but those springs!! The big one is super strong. I need to get me one of those pullers, the vise grips would never work on that big spring. I like the pennies idea, might be worth a shot.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We had to put a center stand on a BMW K1200S bike, similar situation. Per their instructions, put one bolt onto the center stand, hook the springs onto both pins, then pull the stand back (towards the rear of the bike) against the spring pressure. Once the stand is back you can put in the final bolt. BMW uses a fancy puller. I made up a puller that went thru the axel, wrapped around the center stand and was able to manually pull back (with a threaded bolt/ nut). Also, the penny/quarters trick in the spring would probably do it as well...

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got fed up with the &@%$:Flip:#@^$ springs and took the stand off again. I like the look better anyway. I'm gonna keep the stand handy and just put it back on without springs if I need to take a wheel off or put the bike in storage.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
any pics to show how to remove the main stand? how long does it take to do it? before i go track i got to remove it..

TIA.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
any pics to show how to remove the main stand? how long does it take to do it? before i go track i got to remove it..

TIA.

Put, then tape, several coins inbetween the coils when their spread apart. Pop the centerstand back up. Once that's done you can remove the bolts. It'll be considerably easier, with the spring stretched out, to re-assemble later...

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site

TIA.

When I removed my center stand, it was a major beeyatch. I was working in a corner in the garage so maybe that contributed.

Either way, you need two wrenches -- one to hold the nut on the inside and one to turn the bolt on the outside. There's green loctite on there and it took some effort to get things undone. Once loose, it just took time and the inside wrench kept coming off -- I used an open box wrench on the inside and socket wrench on outside.

I put the center stand back on (loosely to do a tire/spring change) and it wasn't too hard to put back on (due to not having to tighten). I do not like that center stand and will leave it off (unless I need it for a service job that I do).

Dennis

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
Put, then tape, several coins inbetween the coils when their spread apart. Pop the centerstand back up. Once that's done you can remove the bolts. It'll be considerably easier, with the spring stretched out, to re-assemble later...

When I removed my center stand, it was a major beeyatch. I was working in a corner in the garage so maybe that contributed.

Either way, you need two wrenches -- one to hold the nut on the inside and one to turn the bolt on the outside. There's green loctite on there and it took some effort to get things undone. Once loose, it just took time and the inside wrench kept coming off -- I used an open box wrench on the inside and socket wrench on outside.

I put the center stand back on (loosely to do a tire/spring change) and it wasn't too hard to put back on (due to not having to tighten). I do not like that center stand and will leave it off (unless I need it for a service job that I do).

Dennis

thanks for the advise townsend and dennis.. sounds like it isnt that easy eh.. :(

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
No worries -- it just takes time and patience and bending over (nothing a few hard drinks cannot cure:D). Don't let it stop you from a track day.

Dennis

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure what the big deal is.....

As Townsend said in his first post on the other page, put the spring on FIRST, then the 2 bolts.

I battled for half an hour to stretch the spring, then thought "hey what if I put the spring on first???" and did it in 2 minutes.:thumbup::thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure what the big deal is.....

As Townsend said in his first post on the other page, put the spring on FIRST, then the 2 bolts.

I battled for half an hour to stretch the spring, then thought "hey what if I put the spring on first???" and did it in 2 minutes.:thumbup::thumbup:

Yep, that's how BMW does theirs.