Comparing two bikes. Tall rider....

cvxsuck1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 fz6 and im looking at a 2009 suzuki sv650 abs. Do any riders have any experience with this bike? i am just trying to get a comparision on how well they perform compared to each other. i love my fz6, but i want the sportier look, but i dont want to lose a ton of performance. any ideas or advice will help.

also im 6'5 so im thinking i fit better on the longer bike.

thanks again.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I have a 2007 fz6 and im looking at a 2009 suzuki sv650 abs. Do any riders have any experience with this bike? i am just trying to get a comparision on how well they perform compared to each other. i love my fz6, but i want the sportier look, but i dont want to lose a ton of performance. any ideas or advice will help.

also im 6'5 so im thinking i fit better on the longer bike.

thanks again.

sv650's are small and slow. at 6'5" i don't know how well you'd fit.

they do sound cool with aftermarket exhaust, but make 20hp less than the FZ6

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are looking at buying the 650S for the look, don't bother. I had one and the FZ6 is far more powerful and even accelerates quicker. Sure the 650 has a bit more torque, but the riding position is attrocious and the suspension worse then ours. I loved my SV, but I wouldn't trade the FZ6 for anything. And at 6'5, the SV will kill your knees and make you cramped.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
also you can get a full fairing for an fz6. you are mad to want an sv650....especially for the reasons you have mentioned.

user962_pic2269_1231868136.jpg

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
The SV was one of the bikes I considered before buying the FZ. One of the reasons I chose the FZ was it fit me better. I'm 6'3 - not many bikes fit me. Only bikes I've found that fit me better are AT bikes like the vstrom, tiger, and BMW GSs. If you ask me, they're not as sporty as the FZ6 (or FZ1). That said, I met a guy once who was popping wheelies on a vstrom 1000 through third gear. . . .with luggage. I guess bikes are only as capable as their riders.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get full fairings for the SV as well. I've seen them, and they actually look pretty sharp.

Or you can have that sweet both worlds look of naked and bellypan

IMG_1025.jpg

Im a fan of this look now, its sticks out from all the other bikes.

Also I am 6'4" If you feel you must have more of an aggressive look; try changing the handlebar style such as the drag bars, I love it now. They're cheap and easy to install.

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'1" and have owned an SV650 (and two SV1000s), and just bought an FZ6. The FZ6 is certainly roomier, but there was nothing wrong for me with the SVs. If you're after something different, and thinking something with a different power delivery, the SV650 certainly isn't slow. In fact it's a hell of a lot easier to ride fast, especially with all that engine braking.

But I suspect you'll miss the top end the FZ has........

To compare (as you asked) I'd say that the SV has gobs of torque and a very flat power delivery, but you get extremely budget suspension (you can feel the forks bottom under heavy braking), and it signs off early. The FZ is more roomy, has enough torque down low but plenty up top as you know, and handles far far better imo.

Don't make a decision from here though, worth a test ride imo. Whilst you're at it, why not sus out the Shiver (same hp as my old SV1000 had!!) if you can live with a potentially unreliable ride?

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
For a big guy like yourself, looking for comfort, consider the V-Strom 1000.
You will have power and comfort.

Slug

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'7" and 245lbs and the FZ6 was the only sport bike I could comfortably ride. I don't regret my decision for a second. I have not ridden an SV650 but I have sat on one. It seemed too small for me.

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
Geoff,

You and Wolfman have the sickest looking naked's out there. I am setup for touring simply so that I can commute with my bike but if it weren't for having to drag a pile of crap with me everywhere I'd be down with this conversion. That bike you got makes "me so hawneee".

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Geoff,

You and Wolfman have the sickest looking naked's out there. I am setup for touring simply so that I can commute with my bike but if it weren't for having to drag a pile of crap with me everywhere I'd be down with this conversion. That bike you got makes "me so hawneee".

That is pretty funny because my fiance calls it Sex on Wheels. I understand the situation with the commute with the bike problem. I commute about an hour back and forth on mine the way it is, but I just book bag what I use. Thanks for the complement!