Commuters: What do you do with your gear?

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I've commuted a few times to work in full gear: helmet, gloves, overpants, leather motorcycle jacket, boots. It's been a complete PITA.

I carry a lunch to work, a change of shoes, and a motorcycle cover in a backpack. It is TIGHT in that backpack right now with those 3 items.

Between my office and the parking lot is a good 5 minute walk outside and inside the building.

I really dont want to walk around with my gear on while everyone's dressed professionally inside.

Here's what I do:
IN THE parking lot where everyone can see me, I

1. Take helmet off - lock it to the bike
2. Take motorcycle cover out of backpack, cover bike.
3. Gloves go into the backpack
4. Change shoes - work shoes come out of backpack, onto feet. Boots go into a plastic bag I have to carry around because the backpack can't fit them.
5. Overpants come off and into another plastic bag I have to carry around because I have no room in the backpack.
6. Jacket- sometimes I wear it inside, sometimes i take it off and have to carry it by hand.

So at times, I end up carrying 2 plastic bags, a backpack and a jacket. It's a lot of crap to haul around and has made commuting a real PITA.

What do you commuters do? Any suggestions?

I dont' have a tail bag or saddle bag. Not sure if those items would solve my problem...

ryanFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
besides getting a tail bag/trunk, I would at least bring a duffle bag with you so that you dont have to carry your stuff in plastic bags in a professional environment. sling that over your shoulder and you're good to go

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Givi E52 top case which, for me is a must have for commuting.

I leave a pair of pants and shoes at work.

When I get to work I remove my lunch and MC cover from the top case. If I'm wearing Draggin jeans, then the Helmet, gloves and jacket goes in the top case. If I'm wearing overpants, the Helmet, gloves and overpants goes in the top case. I then cover the bike.

When I get to my office I change into my work pants (if I came with Draggin Jeans) and shoes.

Fortunately I have my own office at work so storing some clothes and changing is easy, but I don't see why this wouldn't work if you don't have and office, as long as you can store a pair of pants and shoes at work.

By far the best thing for commuting is to get a top case, or a couple of side cases. The E52 can hold a large helmet, overpants and a lightweight jacket, an extra visor, earplugs, tire gauge, etc. Usually when I'm wearing my overpants in cooler weather I'm also wearing my heavy leather jacket. So I just wear the leather jacket into the building.

At most I have to carry my lunch and jacket into the office. In warmer weather its just my lunch.

John

Last edited:

fred4theday

Reaction score
Visit site
I use CL-900 saddle bags and a backpack. The saddle bags carry all my stuff including the backpack. When I get to an account I stuff the overpants in the backpack and hook the helmet to the backpack. I keep a pair of shoes in my desk when I'm lucky enough to get by the office, otherwise I just wear the riding boots. Most people don't notice the shoes since the jacket and helmet stand out. Still a pain but I save enough money on gas that its worth the trouble.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a cabinet at work I can stuff my backpack with all my books and a laptop, helmet w/gloves in it, and jacket into. I keep my work boots in there and exchange them for my riding boots. I wear riding pants at work, they're black and look like slacks from a distance. I couldn't even begin to figure out where to put a bike cover at heh.

No real advice for you, except maybe stop carrying the bike cover that's a bit excessive imho.

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't even begin to figure out where to put a bike cover at heh.

No real advice for you, except maybe stop carrying the bike cover that's a bit excessive imho.

I like covering my bike at work too. I think it keeps kids from messing with the bike, and maybe potential thieves as well. Also keeps the bird cr*p and sap from nearby trees off the bike. And if a rain storms passes by during the day, its nice and dry when I get on it.

I use a very lightweight Goldwing half-cover that came with a stuff-sak. With the top case, it fits perfectly on the FZ6. It packs to the size of a softball.

John

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto on getting a trunk....that should give you plenty of room for everything (minus helmet).

Other than that I keep a pair of shoes at the office so that I don't have to worry about packing those around with me. What's the big deal with wearing your gear into the office before changing? Is it really that big of a deal or are you just a making it a big deal because you are slightly embarrassed? I know I can get a little flushed sometimes when I'm walking around in full gear and my pants are making that swishing sound and my boots are squeaking like a rusty door hinge. It's not exactly inconspicuous, but I get over it pretty quick. Which is worse, distracting a few people for the 30 seconds it takes to walk through the lobby in gear or stripping down in the parking lot and potentially mooning your boss?

Another option, depending on the work environment is to get kevlar lined pants so that you don't have to worry about changing when you get to work. My office is cool with jeans so thats great for me, but I know some manufacturers also make kevlar khakis (for the more professional office environment). Or, if that doesn't fly you could invest in kevlar underpants (not kidding) and just wear those under you normal clothes.

There are actually a lot of ways to reduce/multi-purpose your riding apparel, do some looking around and you'll be surprised at what you find. Good luck.

Last edited:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I drive 20 miles to the train then have to get on the train to get to work (parkign is a hassel at work). The good news is I get covered parking at the train station.

I fold my pants and put them on the seat and run a cable lock through them, then take the lock and run it through the jacket sleeve and place that on top of the pants, run the lock through the helmet (no helmet lock on 06) and place that on top of jacket. Take bungie net and place it all on top. I carry my work shoes in my backpack and change into those after I get to work.

People ALWAYS say aren't you scared someone will cut the cable? Sure... but they could also just tip the bike over???!!!

4 foot cable is enought to lock it to a grab bar. Another option is to get a longer cable and run it through wheels.

Last edited:

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Joe Rocket Manta Tank bag, and an Axio tail bag. Neither one holds much, but they work for me. I wear my work boots when i ride, they are composite toe so I'm not too worried about getting my toes scraped off (already tried to lol), I keep my half cover in the tank bag, thats all it has room for. I usually only wear overpants when I'm on my way home at night. So those are strapped to the top of the tailbag. Here's what I do.

Get off bike and take helmet off. Put my helmet on passenger footpeg. Put sunglasses and gloves in my tail bag, put the cover on, grab my helmet and go inside. I have a place to hang my jacket and helmet in my booth.

So If you need some more storage, I don't recommend my tail bag or tank bag, they are very small and don't hold much, but they work for me. Givi makes some good bags that have a lot of storage. This would be your best bet, do some measurements of the things you want to leave on the bike and try to find a tail bag and or saddle bags that will work.

You should also consider getting a half cover instead of a full cover, if you don't have one already, they are small and effective, easy to put on and take off. Also take up a lot less room. Since you have a cover, you should be able to strap your overpants to the seat.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Right.

First off - It's my personal opinion that you should revel in wearing all your kit and do it proudly. Waltz into your office like you have a huge pair and don't give a toss about anyone else. Drop your stuff off and then go change. Sod them. I reckon you'd get more respect for going in that way instead of cowering in the parking lot before going in. (I know it isn't that bad but you get the point, I hope.) In my experience, chicks dig the biker (no matter what kind of bike) and swanning around in your gear to make a point won't hurt. By the way, I work in a professional environment as well (suits every day) and don't have a problem.

Second - At my last job I was fortunate enough to have guarded, underground parking so covering and locking the bike wasn't an issue. The only time I ever changed anything in the garage was when it was pissing down with rain and I left my rain gear hanging off the bike to dry out a bit. In our office (business casual) we had a couple of wardrobes (closets) where we kept our suits and dress shoes, so I just kept a load of shirts and trousers in there. When they got dirty, they went to the cleaners along with everyone else's stuff. It worked great. We even had showers for those who cycled to work.

I don't know about the facilities at my new job, but I will always change once in the office, that's for sure. And I will probably 'encourage' them to get a wardrobe as well. Everyone will end up using it.

One more thing - I have the rear box on mine that will hold 2 full-face helmets. It does come in handy when trying to carry all my crap back and forth to work. If you intend on commuting a lot it is a necessity.

I hope that helps.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I use CL-900 saddle bags and a backpack. The saddle bags carry all my stuff including the backpack.

I have the same saddlebags. Cheap to buy, and don't know what I did without them! I ride to work in jeans, leather jacket, helmet, gloves, boots. I carry my lunch in a plastic bag with me inside, while wearing jeans, jacket, and boots to my cube. I keep dress shoes in a drawer in my desk, AND my dress pants neatly folded in a drawer as well. I change everyday, keep my jacket under my desk, and helmet on the desk.

nobody makes comments or questions. I change in the bathroom. I leave work carrying only my helmet and empty lunch containers.

Ditch the backpack...best thing I ever did!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I stopped caring what the perception was around my workplace (a professional environment.) I walk in with riding pants swishing and boots squeaking. It's good to be first. Maybe others will decide that they should ride to work. Maybe people that allready ride will start to wear gear..? It worked for me at my last job. Again it was a professional environment. The president of the company and several high level individuals rode every day and walked in wearing (audibly and visually) loud Aerostitch suits.

I am fortunate in that I have an office in which to change. Before that, I had no problem popping into a broom closet to change back into Clark Kent.

Whatever it takes, it's worth it.

+ a brazillion on top/side cases for commuting. That's my next big ticket item.

Reaction score
Visit site
besides getting a tail bag/trunk, I would at least bring a duffle bag with you so that you dont have to carry your stuff in plastic bags in a professional environment. sling that over your shoulder and you're good to go

Go to your local outdoor supply and get a duffel that has backpack straps on it. Costs about $30 until you work out a system for your gear. They have them that expand to different volumes to carry gear. At least it will be a load that you can easily handle, GRUMPY

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
buy a gold wing :rof: .. no but i would get a duffle bag like a couple of people have mentioned... they make some with shoe compartments and i can fit my boots in some of them... i think that is one of your only options... good luck

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate the stripping down part - it's plain embarassing. The motorcycle parking area (concrete parking instead of asphalt in the rest of the parking area), is next to the front entrance. So as people are walking by, I'm stripping down as quickly as I can.

As soon as I get inside the building, it takes me a good 5 minutes of walking to get to my cube. So if I wear my gear inside the building, I'm walking a pretty good distance with a lot of people staring at me. People stare because you're out of place (dress wise) and people are vigilant these days (looking for unusual things/events/persons).

Don't even get me started on the hair pointing in all directions (I've learned to put on a hat until I can get to a restroom).

I think what it all boils down to is the overpants are damn annoying. I can deal with the leather jacket and switching shoes. It's the damn overpants!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I totally agree with Doorag, I too have the 45L Givi top case, I can easily fit my boots, helmet (with gloves inside) and overtrousers in it. (I have a clothes locker at my work, but I don't always use it (as it's in a different part of the building).
Changing shoes can be a bit of a pain so I sometimes pull my trousers over my boot until I'm at my desk, then change into a spare pair of shoes that are in my bottom drawer.

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right.

First off - It's my personal opinion that you should revel in wearing all your kit and do it proudly. Waltz into your office like you have a huge pair and don't give a toss about anyone else.

Ha ha...I could care less about what I look like going into the office. However, I really like to be in stealth mode when I leave the office. Sometimes its nice to sneak out, which is pretty hard to do in with full gear on, or even carrying gear. :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I've commuted a few times to work in full gear: helmet, gloves, overpants, leather motorcycle jacket, boots. It's been a complete PITA.

I carry a lunch to work, a change of shoes, and a motorcycle cover in a backpack. It is TIGHT in that backpack right now with those 3 items.

Between my office and the parking lot is a good 5 minute walk outside and inside the building.

I really dont want to walk around with my gear on while everyone's dressed professionally inside.

Here's what I do:
IN THE parking lot where everyone can see me, I

1. Take helmet off - lock it to the bike
2. Take motorcycle cover out of backpack, cover bike.
3. Gloves go into the backpack
4. Change shoes - work shoes come out of backpack, onto feet. Boots go into a plastic bag I have to carry around because the backpack can't fit them.
5. Overpants come off and into another plastic bag I have to carry around because I have no room in the backpack.
6. Jacket- sometimes I wear it inside, sometimes i take it off and have to carry it by hand.

So at times, I end up carrying 2 plastic bags, a backpack and a jacket. It's a lot of crap to haul around and has made commuting a real PITA.

What do you commuters do? Any suggestions?

I dont' have a tail bag or saddle bag. Not sure if those items would solve my problem...
Is there any gate security / building maintanence / facilites people you could get friendly with. I used to leave my bike gear in facilities building.

I am lucky now, I have room to change and I have to wear a uniform that needs to only be worn in the hospital; so it dosn't matter what I wear to work.

Nelly