Commuters: What do you do with your gear?

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Doorag (David). I wear full gear and my steel toe boots on my commute to work. I work in a Engineering Building. I did wonder some if I would get a call into the office for wearing gear in. But I just decided it didn't matter. I would hope the place you work would applaud safety before stupidity. Anyhow I carry a back pack and inside is my liner for my gear if its cold or rains. I wear my dress pants and shirt under my gear. When I get to work I walk in and take the jacket and riding pants off. I hang my coat on the desk chair fold the pants and store away the helment. Don't let ppl man control what you do just because you think someone may say something. Walk your own path. I am not fussing at you just I did use to care and worried myself to death to realize I will not be able to make everyone happy. So now I walk my own path even if others don't follow. Most pple that may even say something to themselves or someone else more than likely don't understand what it takes to ride a bike and do it safely. :):thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have my own office, but I take off my overpants and gear once I'm inside.

I also use a bike cover, but I store it at work.

Also have a stash of spare clothes, socks and shoes stored someplace just in case you get drenched on the way to work.

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
I commute to work in full gear just like you, with the addition of padded shorts and shin guards under the overpants. I work in an open office environment and I leave a pair of pants and shoes at work. Since it’s chilli in the morning, I wear the shirt I need to wear on the way to work and put it in my backpack on the way home. I also pack a rain jacket, lunch, maps and a headlamp in my backpack.

I use the Kriega - R25. Unlike the conventional backpacks I’ve owned for hiking & MTBing, you really forget you’re wearing a backpack since the load is transferred onto the chest and not the shoulders.

Since I can’t keep my helmet on while pumping gas, I walk into work fully dressed with helmet on , drop half my gear at my desk and go change in the stock room. I keep all my stuff under my desk and my helmet on the shelf. I walk out of work for the trip home fully dressed, and as others have put it....I do it with pride.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I commuted today and walked the halls with my gear on (helmet off though). Not too many people saw me. The experience was great - no more undressing in the parking lot like an idiot and trying to figure out how to bring all my gear inside. I undressed in my cube and that was that. If anyone gives me the evil eye when I walk the hallway with my gear on.. I'm giving them the bird :Flip: and a whack to the head with my helmet.

B

bluenova

Lots of people have said they take their pants/trousers off at their bike, I assume you're wearing other trousers underneath? I tried this when I first started commuting and found it very uncomfortable so now I just get changed at work and carry shoes and trousers in my tank bag. I get changed in my office which I share with some co-workers, they don't seem to mind :D

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I arrive, get off the bike and put it on the center stand. I take off my gloves and helmet, stow the gloves in the helmet, then remove the tailbag. I walk in and up the stairs to the third floor to my cube. I rest the helmet on my desk, place the tailbag under the desk. Hang my jacket on the chair, remove the boots and overpants, then pull my shoes out from under the desk.

So, ALL gear is at my desk. The tailbag is my tools, raingear and other small needs. Nothing is left at the bike.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Christ what a mess about you have.

Why take a motorbike cover??
When I ride to work lunch and shoes go in a sidebox. I wear my work gear under my leathers.
Helmet gets locked to bike. Leathers and boots go in top box and side boxes. Job done.

Steve

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear my helmet/gloves/jacket/boots, lock helmet to bike (as long as weather looks decent), go inside and change into the work shoes I leave under my desk. I tried the pants thing and its just too much of a pain for me - I'm lazy and don't get up / get into work early enough to go to the bathroom and change my pants....if I had my own office or something I would since I'm sure it looks pretty weird when I fly by someone in full gear except for dress slacks :rockon:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I commuted today and walked the halls with my gear on (helmet off though). Not too many people saw me. The experience was great - no more undressing in the parking lot like an idiot and trying to figure out how to bring all my gear inside. I undressed in my cube and that was that. If anyone gives me the evil eye when I walk the hallway with my gear on.. I'm giving them the bird :Flip: and a whack to the head with my helmet.
:thumbup:....

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org

:welcome: to the world of riding! They'll probably respect you more for doing it! hehe, anytime someone asks, I say "YOU should get an FZ6 too!"

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the \\"screw em if they look at you funny\\"...I roll in proudly wearing my gear and usually get asked about my bike or a question about riding in general. It's great

Ditto. I PROUDLY roll in with all my gear on. If I get weird looks, I look back and ask "What's up?". As I leave a change of boots at my work, my riding gear consist of my lunch and clear helmet shield (I work 2nd shift and drive home at night) in a plastic bag bunged to my tail, leather jacket, riding boots, helmet, and gloves. So all I walk in with is the plastic bag in one hand and my helmet in the other.

Oldtimer why do you use a cover? Show your hot sexy FZ off :D

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gotten many weird looks as well as comments. My boss's boss, the CIO calls me Batman. Says he feels better and the company is safer whem Batman arrives. I told him, after pointing out the various armor, that I was "Protecting the company's assets!" He loved it!

oscarg85

Reaction score
Visit site
i just take the back pack and the jacket followed by what ever im wearing that day! i've seen it most people jus ride with they are wearing that day. plus you'll get use to it, also it will benefit you by saving time and money.

good luck man!