Coldest ride yet... 26F..

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Thursday night (my Friday) I went into work in my cage... knowing i had just enough gas to get to work and back home (I live about 15 mins away). Anyways, come to find out, i didn't have to be in til' 12:15am. Here were my options:
1)Sit in the parking lot for 2 hrs with no heat.
2)Have a nice warm drive home, eat something warm, then bundle up and ride to work on the bike.

The choice was pretty obvious (to me anyways), I went with option 2 :D

So anyways i bundled up:
Top half:
T-shirt
Thermal long sleeve
A sweatshirt
A hoodie
Windbreaker jacket
Leather jacket

Bottom:
Thermal
Wind pants
Jeans
Riding pants

Feet-decided to wear my work boots home, soooo glad i did, mesh breathable shoes aren't nice in sub 40F temps :eek:

Wore some winter gloves over my normal riding gloves, and grabbed a "neckie" before heading out.

I thought i'd bundled up enough, and for the most part i did...

But boy do those cold (26F) temps show where the weaknesses in your clothing are :spank:

Ride was fine, minus the cold chin (mind you i had the neckie plus the chin curtain on my HJC. Also where my zipper is for my leather jacket (it's rather old) my chest started to get cold right as i got to work.

Overall, not a bad ride... Ride home wasn't as pleasant as i had those mesh shoes on :eek: ---cold toes.

Walking out after work to frost on the bike was a new experience, as was scraping ice off my helmet visor from my breath from the ride in lol

That being said i think snow is the only thing that is going to keep me off the bike... unless... maybe some old school ice racing tires.... hmm:rolleyes:

Future investments for winter will be:
1) Riding boots/shoes-because i should be wearing them anyways not sneakers :spank:
2) maybe a heated liner, although quick glances at prices for vest plus hookups=:eek::eek::eek:
3)Hand guards as a wind breaker, my Ohio trip coupled with this recent outing are compelling me to move that higher on the priority list.
4) Taller windscreen-IDK how many of you have looked at the windscreen on a Versys, but it is not very accommodating for wind+cold+rain lol

Anyways hoping to get a few more rides in before i settle in for another crappy NY winter...
Walking out after work to frost on the bike was a new experience, as was scraping ice off my helmet visor from my breath from the ride in lol

Oh BTW if anybody has any recommendations for effective and/or affordable heated gear (gloves jacket pants etc) feel free to drop me a line :D

ZaGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
A buddy of mine sent me this link a while ago

Heated Clothing Outlet - Huge Discounts on Heated Clothing!

selection changes, may have to wait for your size to come up.

For cold weather I use s fleece sweatshirt ( high neck ) or warm sweater and a neckie... and then my textile jacket with the thermal liner... keeps me warm down to 32F ( Canadian , but old enough to remember my F temps :) )
Pants.. Jeans under my Mesh and a thermal windbreaker pant over...
JR boots keep the wind off the feet, and a pair of lined gloves with a set of bike muffs over the controls (they make a HUGE difference)
I have 1 15-20 min commute, about hall-n-half highway/city

Last edited: