Cold Gear

AdventAvalon

Reaction score
Visit site
So what do you guys suggest for cold gear? As a new rider I don't know what I should be looking for and what brands are best. What do you recommend? And what about snowmobile jackets? Would those work well due to their low temps. I just don't know about wind proofing on those.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wind is your enemy. Ive found one piece suits to be the best. Snowmobile suit would work well, but offer no protection in the event of a fall. Would recommend wearing a motorcycle jacket above or under the suit. Balaclava is priceless for keeping the neck and head warm. Good gloves, too. Heated is great if you can afford it. My fingers are the first to get cold so I bit the bullet and havent looked back.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Snowmobile jackets protect from the wind just fine, but they lack the shoulder/elbow padding that a proper MC jacket will have (crashing a snowmobile is usually much softer 'cept for them damn oak trees...) :D

I have a FirstGear "Kilimanjaro III" winter coat that I really like (it replaced my Kilimanjaro II). I'm also fond of my Held winter gloves. My new beemer has heated grips but the Held actually insulates me from the heat! (they're great for my summer gloves right now, in the autumn: heat on in the mornings and off coming home from work).
In cold weather I just wear cotton longjohns under my kevlar jeans; if its really cold or even slightly damp, I'll throw on my FroggToggs. My beemer has outlets for electrically-heated gear (vests, pants, etc) but I only commute when its really cold and don't feel they're worth it; once I retire and start touring then I'll start shopping.
I have no specific boot recommendations, but take this away: THORLO SOCKS!! Yes, they're worth $20/pair! :rockon:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a lot of people in NYC and a few by me that use these:

MSR Hand Deflectors - Handguards - Covers & Guards - Off-Road Parts - SoloMotoParts.com - Motorcycle Parts, Accessories and Gear

My best suggestion is layers upon layers. A top and bottom set of underarmor, jeans, 2 pairs of socks, leather riding pants, thick boots, a hoodie, leather jacket, riding jacket over all that, 2, if not 3 pairs of gloves if possible, scarf, riding mask, and some fog-x for your visor and glasses.

Definitely a lot of gear but it makes a huge difference.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a heated vest, heated gauntlet gloves and a variable rotating temperature switch.

The gloves plug into the vest via a two line wire. The controller plugs into the vest.

I have velcro on the back of the controller and the opposite stlye velcro sewed to my heavy, leather jacket for easy access (left side of the jacket, plugs into the left side BMW outlet I installed)

The vest is supposed to go over your t-shirt ONLY (you want it close to your skin), your regular winter riding jacket over that.

That set up keeps you VERY TOASTY. For the FZ, I just turn it off if slowing/stopped for traffic/light, etc. With the stock FZ windshield (not much wind protection), I never have to turn it up over 1/2 to 2/3's...

For super cold days, I have a nylon "mask" that goes over my head/face as well as leather chaps. Those also help alot on the legs too..

The BMW style outlet just ahead of the pillion peg:

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
My best suggestion is layers upon layers. .

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

From the skin up, in order, I wear:

Boxers
Sports socks
Thermal leggings
Marino wool base layer top
Thin cotton cargo trousers
Boot socks
Gortex armoured and insulated textile bike trousers
Then the basic leather boots go on.
Neck buff
Soft shell training jacket
Thin woollen gloves
Basic armoured and insulated textile jacket
Then the helmet goes on
And finally a pair of Spada Enforcer winter gloves

The key is to get everything to overlap at the joints between items of clothing. The two pairs of socks are layered between the two pairs of under trousers, and the boots layer between the under trousers/socks and the bike trousers at the ankle. The base layer top and boxers layer between the under trousers, with the soft shell jacket going over the top of the bike trousers at the waist. The woollen gloves layer under the soft shell jacket, with the main gloves going between soft shell and motorcycle jackets at the wrist. The neck buff goes under the soft shell jacket collar, with the top tucked up around my chin and held in place by the helmet strap.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This need not be to taxing on your budget or if money is no object Rukka can sort you out for $2000.00

Base layers are really worth the investment and improve the performance of the outer layer considerably. I use a sports thermal underwear layer (T-Shirt & long johns) purchased from Aldi €20.00 a set.
Then I have a regular fleece layer for my torso (again from Aldi €15.00).
My jacket is a low-mid (price range, from Australian ) and made of textile which is also lined. Currently on sale at €64.00. It is warm waterproof withstanding Irish summers and winters.

I wear lined textile riding pants which also do a good job off keeping me warm and waterproof made by SPADA €75.00.
I personally don't mind cold fingers as much as cold feet so I have spent a bit more money on my waterproof leather boots from Hein Gericke €130. . I just wear normal socks sometimes two pairs if it's really cold.
Hand guards are brilliant, and the quality ones are comparable in cost to decent heated grips which are also brilliant. I have used both but currently have neither. I would opt for hand guards if I had the money.
For my hands I use a decent thermal liner glove which is thin and does not restrict movement. My winter riding gloves fit nicely over them and are a mid price range item from SPADA $40.00. If you cant afford heated grips or guards I highly recommend using a glove liner. I also use a neck tube or a Snood depending on how cold it is. I have used this set up for -10C / 14F riding for a 30 minute commute.
Good luck and tell us what you get and why?

Nelly:thumbup:

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Freeze-out thermals from Cycle Gear. They work great and highly recommend them.

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Forgot about this. I only have a neck gaitor, my helmet fits too tight for a full balaclava; but yeah, your neck needs something, even for commuting.

I have this open face one. It's very thin and should fit even under a tight helmet.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Alpinestars-Touring-Open-Face-Balaclava/dp/B003BI4ZM2"]Amazon.com: Alpinestars Touring Open Face Balaclava - One size fits most/Black: Automotive[/ame]

21afOpW7i5L.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, after last winter, I consider myself an expert on the subject of winter riding.

My advice, heated gear! This will prevent you from layering up to a poInt you are so bulky you would have a difficult time controllig the bike. Yes, no thermals needed.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, after last winter, I consider myself an expert on the subject of winter riding.

My advice, heated gear! This will prevent you from layering up to a poInt you are so bulky you would have a difficult time controllig the bike. Yes, no thermals needed.

+1 on the above.

Yes, you may spend $300+ on it but its considerably easier and the best $300 I ever spent, period... Did the layering for years and it worked, certainly not as well as heated gear, especially if your not a fair weather rider...

Its also considerably easier suiting up to ride and if you get hot, you simply turn the controller down or off... :thumbup:

My Widder heated vest, gauntlet gloves and adjustable controller with coiled BMW style male electrical end:

Last edited:

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride all year in Seattle and sometime it drops into the 20's and 30's. On those days I rock this gear and stay toasty.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055DN4GE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]KATAHDIN GEAR KG GAUNTLETS W/WIRE OPENING - BLACK KG01134 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

This Road Toad jacket lets no wind through. None. No water ever even in torrential down pours I stay dry. It is also what I toss over my jacket when it gets to cold. Not the coolest looking but boy do they keep me warm and dry.

Frogg Toggs Road Toad Rain Jacket - RevZilla

I also uses this excellent balaclava.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Schampa-Pharaoh-Deluxe-Balaclava-Black/dp/B001650XEG/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1383511150&sr=8-25&keywords=balaclava]Schampa Pharaoh Deluxe Balaclava, Black, Size: OSFM BLCLV012 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I have this open face one. It's very thin and should fit even under a tight helmet.

Amazon.com: Alpinestars Touring Open Face Balaclava - One size fits most/Black: Automotive

21afOpW7i5L.jpg

Check this one out instead, unless you have a neck guard the wind can shoot down your backside and front if there is room. This adds a flap on the back and front.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Schampa-Pharaoh-Deluxe-Balaclava-Black/dp/B001650XEG/?tag=5336337973-20]Schampa Pharaoh Deluxe Balaclava, Black, Size: OSFM BLCLV012 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]