Clutchless Upshift

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
The fz6 ('06) is new to me and it seems like the clutch engaging can be harsh if your not very smooth with it(Anyone else notice this?). So I figured I'd give clutch-less up shifting a try and I LOVE IT! :cheer:

Seems like the fazer just wants to be shifted without the clutch. :D

rickthefix

Reaction score
Visit site
i recently went to upshifting w/o using the clutch & it does indeed shift smoother (for me). i also have 04 ZX6R that is much smoother shifting w/o clutch. this is what practically all road racers do. if have also been downshifting some w/o too. it is a little harder to be smooth downshifting, but guess with practice, could be accomplished.

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just started trying this as well. I find that if you hit it just right it is really smooth but I've "missed" it a few times and it ended up being kinda jerky and clunked into gear, but I'm sure that's just my lack of experience. It also seems that it works best when you're accelerating pretty fast and then roll off quick to shift, it doesn't like to do it at lower speeds. Maybe that's just me screwing it up again tho...

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just started trying this as well. I find that if you hit it just right it is really smooth but I've "missed" it a few times and it ended up being kinda jerky and clunked into gear, but I'm sure that's just my lack of experience. It also seems that it works best when you're accelerating pretty fast and then roll off quick to shift, it doesn't like to do it at lower speeds. Maybe that's just me screwing it up again tho...

When you are on the gas just put a bit of pressure up on the shifter, when you're ready to shift close the throttle to about 75% and get back on the gas ASAP for the next gear... (Very quick wrist movement!)

I'm not saying it can't be done on downshift, but it is a little harsh on the dog ring! Also, it can lock up the rear wheel if you're going "hot" into a corner. Using the clutch and releasing slowly can give you a better control on the rear wheel lock up while braking hard and down shifting into a corner....just saying.

Drive safe...