Clutch

+1 on this big time^^^^

To not /service/lubricate a cable is ridiculous...

As Randy noted, its in the manual as a scheduled service...

I hope you don't believe everything you read on the internet...

TO ALL: Sorry for posting the results of some quick research on the Innertube, which led to some false conclusions. I went a good bit further in my subsequent research, and found - via DuPont, the original discoverer and producer of Teflon - that Teflon isn't affected whatsoever by oils and lubricants. In fact, it can only be dissolved by some very esoteric/rare chemicals, and/or adversely affected by some pretty high temperatures.

So nothing we typically use to lube the cables should adversely affect the Teflon lining of my clutch cable.

And I appreciate the consensus opinion that my clutch cable's Teflon lining is probably "stuck" to the outer jacket. I'll be able to confirm that right after the holiday, when I'll be replacing the existing clutch cable. Thanks for all the good advice.
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

Its not a problem, just some mis-information. I believe your current cable is likely toast as the inner cable is now froze to the teflon.

Once the new cable is in, lube every once in awhile and it'll last a long time..

NOTE: There is a plastic retainer for the clutch cable, attached to the inner left side of the frame. It IS a PIA to get to. I removed mine years ago (the cable isn't going anywhere, there's not enough room) but makes servicing/ replacing the cable MUCH easier..

I was able to remove the holder without pulling the gas tank, air box, etc(basically cut and ripped it out)...If your pulling the cable anyway, should be even easier..

TO ALL: Sorry for posting the results of some quick research on the Innertube, which led to some false conclusions. I went a good bit further in my subsequent research, and found - via DuPont, the original discoverer and producer of Teflon - that Teflon isn't affected whatsoever by oils and lubricants. In fact, it can only be dissolved by some very esoteric/rare chemicals, and/or adversely affected by some pretty high temperatures.

So nothing we typically use to lube the cables should adversely affect the Teflon lining of my clutch cable.

And I appreciate the consensus opinion that my clutch cable's Teflon lining is probably "stuck" to the outer jacket. I'll be able to confirm that right after the holiday, when I'll be replacing the existing clutch cable. Thanks for all the good advice.
- - - Jim

Teflon does break down with high temperature and also exposure to metal. The coating begins to become reactive to metals when heated in the 300 plus degree range. Think Teflon pan/non stick give the warning to not use metal on them and if you do, you notice all the gouges.

Ideally you're cable is not getting over 300 degrees. If I were you I'd blow through a whole can of lube just to see if you can get the gunk out. When I was servicing my bike, my friend borrowed the cable clamp and lube. At first his was all gunked up, then it finally busted loose and all this crud came out of the bottom of the cable. This was on a BMW g650GS

If I were you I'd blow through a whole can of lube just to see if you can get the gunk out. When I was servicing my bike, my friend borrowed the cable clamp and lube. At first his was all gunked up, then it finally busted loose and all this crud came out of the bottom of the cable. This was on a BMW g650GS

Good advice, and I appreciate it. I do have a cable clamp luber and aerosol cable lube, and have already gotten the cable lube all through the cable from one end to another (took 3 days to filter out the far end). But the inner Teflon liner's still stuck, and now moves with the cable. I have no good way to refasten the liner to the outer sheath.

Anyway, a new cable is only about $32.00, and mine's already on order. Since my bike was used when I acquired it, I'd rather get things properly squared away once, and then just keep up with the necessary maintenance. If my experience with previous bikes holds true, I'll probably be good with the new cable for many years. Nice thing is - having done the Killernoodle clutch mod, and added a new, properly lubricated clutch cable - I should have eliminated about 50% of the previous effort necessary to pull the clutch in! Will really be nice in traffic.
- - - Jim

Back