Clutch Sticking

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

Twice this week, i have come to a stop and flicked it up into neutral and rolled to stop. After doing this, i couldn't knock it down or up into 1st or 2nd. The clutch was making a crunching noise and not allowing me to switch. I let the clutch out, and tried again and after a couple of time it was fine.

Any ides what this could be?

+1

It sounds like the clutch is\was not completely disengaging. Where does it normally start to engage? Right off the handle bar or out a little ways?

I'm pretty sure out a little bit. I'm unsure now you mention it ha. I will check on my way home and let you know tomorrow, but i'm almost certain it's not right off the handle bar.

Sounds normal for the FZ6: balky to shift from N into 1st when stopped, or 1st gear not engaging after downshifting at too high of a speed.

Fix is to pull and release the clutch, like you did, or to roll the bike a few inches.

Lots of threads on this:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/sear...9&q=can't+shift+into+first+when+stopped&sa=Go

Thanks Oaks, I'l' have a read through these. I don't think it's too much to worry about by the sounds of it. Just worried me as i'm not knowledgeable on mechanics.

+1

It sounds like the clutch is\was not completely disengaging. Where does it normally start to engage? Right off the handle bar or out a little ways?

Hi MG242,

The clutch doesn't start to release until it's out a little ways, can't feel any problems there. Went through some bits last night with some WD-40 too.

When was the last time you lubed the clutch cable? Also adjust the cable.

The Fz6 does have a cranky shifter. Also consider an oil change or the quailty of oil you use. When I had my Fz6 it was always smoother with new oil.

When was the last time you lubed the clutch cable? Also adjust the cable.

The Fz6 does have a cranky shifter. Also consider an oil change or the quailty of oil you use. When I had my Fz6 it was always smoother with new oil.

The oil was changed less than 1000 miles ago with a Service. Checked it yesterday and it was fine.

I'm assuming there's a tutorial on here for how to lube the clutch cable, or in the Haynes Manual?

The oil was changed less than 1000 miles ago with a Service. Checked it yesterday and it was fine.

I'm assuming there's a tutorial on here for how to lube the clutch cable, or in the Haynes Manual?

somebody here designed a tool to help lube the clutch cable, maybe one of the vets of the site remember the thread name. It really sucks trying to use the kit from the store. The Fz6 is easier than the Fz1 though to lube the clutch cable.

Back