Clutch Spring Stiffness

...and such linear power delivery.

I never played with hairdryers much but I had two cages for the street with them. I found it interesting when they went to dual turbo units to address lag issues. While it does take horsepower to make horsepower with a huffer once its going it's gone your output is there all the way to the redline.

I never played with hairdryers much but I had two cages for the street with them. I found it interesting when they went to dual turbo units to address lag issues. While it does take horsepower to make horsepower with a huffer once its going it's gone your output is there all the way to the redline.

If you haven't already look at porche's and acura's variable scroll turbo (i think thats what they are called) It makes it smaller to spool up boost and then open up for big power. Pretty cool.

If you haven't already look at porche's and acura's variable scroll turbo (i think thats what they are called) It makes it smaller to spool up boost and then open up for big power. Pretty cool.

They are a really cool technology. Another cool super charger that was similar was the G-Ladder that VW used in the old Coraddo.

I had a '96 Audi A4 Quattro Turbo and a '03 Passat Turbo. Both were great cars, but there was a fair amount of lag in a very hot day with the A/C on full. I chipped both cars and there was much, much less lag. The Passat was putting out about 205hp up from 180hp. The Audi bumped from 150 to 180.

The battles over which is best, a supercharger or turbocharger are no less interesting than the age old Ford versus Chevy conversations. In this case, we're talking about two different methods of achieving the same goal. In the most technical of terms the turbocharger is a supercharger however, its methods for achieving the same end result are much more difficult to tune and install. The turbocharger also has reliability issues not found in the common blower (note that a roots type blower will likely need an intercooler too). In either case they are both designed to compress air and force more air molecules into the engine's combustion chambers than would normally be allowed at atmospheric pressure here on Earth (14.7 psi at sea level).

Typical peak operating speeds for a supercharger (blower) are around 15,000 rpm for the screw and roots style blowers and 40,000 rpm for the centrifugal style blowers. Now this is where things get interesting for the turbo lovers because the turbo units typical operating speeds are between 75,000 and 150,000 rpm. So what does this mean? The turbo is capable of producing more peak power than the blower because it can easily reach boost levels of 25psi providing the internal parts of an engine build can put up with it. Typical street boost for a blower is between 6 and 12psi although they are capable of way more for the likes of an AA/FD. In either case the limiting factor is operating rpm.

The blower is often considered to be the easier method of forced induction for most street and race vehicle applications where the turbo will always be the more difficult mod considering the added work required to install them and get them dialed in. The turbo does however have its place in a more specialized market. Blowers generally provide a much broader powerband that most drivers are looking for with no "lag" at all. In addition, they are more practical for a home or novice do it yourselfer. In either case be it your choice for the blower or turbo, we get to go faster and have way more fun with a twist of the throttle or a stomp on the gas.....

I probably should've been clearer.

I don't really care about the plenum moving because of boost we were just worrying about the back fires.

As it is were blew the plenum off again this time and the inlet of one of the cylinders was on fire. The clutch spring thing doesn't work.
The guy who designed the plenum needs to fix it. As one of the sides of it was flexing but it popped outwards after the blow off.

I admit you're right about the boost and plenum popping off but we need to weld the pipe or something because it has to handle that much boost. Too much boost isn't a problem as we've designed the supercharger gear ratio to match a certain amount of power.
We're not going to develop much more than 100hp because of the restrictor we have to use. We use a supercharger because the event is more autocross and we get a wide torque band which means we can use more of the lower revs.

We should get new cams but the guy who was responsible for that quit and we're running out of time.

I was too busy looking at the water temps since we have a cooling problem - probably because we're not using our water system but one from another years vehicle.

As it stands we should probably use something more like a proper BOV as the clutch spring crap has too small a diameter to make it effective. Even though we've used it two times before.

As for turbos etc...... big power but lag and you have to rebuild them for our application as the adverse pressures cause the seals to go in them. bleh.

I don't really care about the plenum moving because of boost we were just worrying about the back fires.

Back fires and blowers don't generally mix hence the reason we now strap them down by rule. Yes. the backfiring must be eliminated but this should be no problem once you get the run profile adjusted. Why the mandate for a restrictor plate and is it tapered on the inlet side?

Back