Clutch replacement

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
Due to my own ignorance I have ruined what I assume to be the factory clutch. I used the OEM pieces when replacing the clutch in my four wheeler but I don't see that as an option for our bikes. I have a new cable laying on the bench waiting to be installed with the new clutch.

I'm curious what yall have used and would recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't.. I know they make kits. As no one else is chiming in, I'd do a search on-line for a name brand manufacturer and go from there..

*I'm very "easy" on my bike, so "up-grading" the clutch (which works fine for most applications) is not needed for me.

I've seen a Yamaha R6 engine upside down on my local shops work station getting the blown clutch friction plates plucked out from inside the engine. After the clutch blew (much abuse), parts went everywhere in the engine locking it up.. IDK if it was a stock clutch or aftermarket but was normally abused by it's owner..

We also had a member here with a blown clutch where the frictions got between the crank and clutch and bent the crank.

In any event, good luck with the up-grade..

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't.. I know they make kits. As no one else is chiming in, I'd do a search on-line for a name brand manufacturer and go from there..

*I'm very "easy" on my bike, so "up-grading" the clutch (which works fine for most applications) is not needed for me.

I've seen a Yamaha R6 engine upside down on my local shops work station getting the blown clutch friction plates plucked out from inside the engine. After the clutch blew (much abuse), parts went everywhere in the engine locking it up.. IDK if it was a stock clutch or aftermarket but was normally abused by it's owner..

We also had a member here with a blown clutch where the frictions got between the crank and clutch and bent the crank.

In any event, good luck with the up-grade..
Well shoot. Thanks for the information. I'll try to remember to come back to this post with my results and what not.

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got around to doing this. Ended up with an ebc kit and I've have a clutch cable laying on the bench for a long time so I decided to do both today.

The hardest part about replacing the clutch was clocking the clutch slave arm properly. I even reused the old gasket knowing I'm not supposed to but I do like to live on the edge.

Unfortunately the clutch needed no replacing and it was just the cable that was stretched. Replacing that cable sucked. There's a weird clip on the inside of the frame up by the fuel tank on the shifter side that I couldn't figure out how to get the cable out of for the life of me. I ended up just prying the clip up with a screwdriver and cutting it. Had a bit of a fight getting the end of the cable through the front of the frame but after that it was smooth sailing and I was out riding.

Now I just need to wash it, sell it and get a R6 [emoji2]

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgot to mention the family of mice I've taking for rides around the country side. Poor things. I hope they all fell out and slid to their death.
0cbf5b0395c2762af3e19d9b12d66dc1.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yuck!! Me thinks someone needs to ride more!

The retainer for the clutch cable, I just cut mine off years ago. There's really no place for the cable to go..

And yep, the curved end of the clutch cable is a pain sneaking thru the upper part of the frame...

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd willingly do a clutch again even though it's nearly ten times the cost. The clutch cable gave me PTSD