clutch problem.

bobdigi88

Reaction score
Visit site
I only bought my 2004 fz6 3 days ago and i love it. However today i noticed a strange noise. When i engage the clutch, change gear and then accelerate, just as the bike speeds up there is a clunky noise.

Can anyone shed any light on what the noise is?

It's coming from the left hand side. But i can't locate exactly where it is as when i put the bike on centre stand and go through the gears there is no problem.

The noise only appears to happen when speeding up or slowing down. Basickly after a gear change.

Any advise? Also the seconnd gear is clunky. But that seems to be a common feature with the FZ6.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on it?

Have you cleaned and lubed the chain? If its filthy and not been lubed it will make lots of racket and you will feel it. If its worn out, same thing.

Rotate the rear wheel, while on the center stand (ENGINE NOT RUNNING) and
look for any binding of the chain links and any that don't straighten out. Under load (accelerating) the force is making any kinks straighten out....

If you have the owners manual or shop manual, you can check for wear on the chain and sprockets. You shouldn't be able to pull the chain away from the rear sprocket. If you can, and see the chain tighten up, you have some worn parts...

It wouldn't be a bad idea to clean under the front sprocket cover (3 allen head bolts). Old chain lube/ crap tends to build up there...

There is a TPS re-call on your bike but it shouldn't have anything to do with your problem. I'd make sure the TPS was replaced (free from yamaha):

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

bobdigi88

Reaction score
Visit site
The bikes done 25,000 miles.

Thanks for quick reply. I've just done what you suggested and you were right, there was a load of crud around the front sprocket. Not on the sprocket itself, but around it and on the panel i took off (3 allen bolts).

The chain was cleaned and lubed yesterday and after examining the chain again just then, the chain is in good condition with no stiff points etc.

I've tried moving the chain from rear sprocket and there is some movement but not much. maybe a few mm.

I'll pop to my local mechanic tomorrow and see if the chain needs tightening.

I've just cleaned and lubed the front sprocket. I'll find out tomorrow morning if this has sorted out my problem. If it hasn't, then it's still a good job done.

The TPS problem? I'm not sure what you mean. ive just googled TPS. Do you mean throttle position sensor? And if it does need doing would yamaha still do it for free being a 2004 model? I doubt it.

Thanks again, Bob.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bikes done 25,000 miles.

Thanks for quick reply. I've just done what you suggested and you were right, there was a load of crud around the front sprocket. Not on the sprocket itself, but around it and on the panel i took off (3 allen bolts).

The chain was cleaned and lubed yesterday and after examining the chain again just then, the chain is in good condition with no stiff points etc.

I've tried moving the chain from rear sprocket and there is some movement but not much. maybe a few mm.

I'll pop to my local mechanic tomorrow and see if the chain needs tightening.

I've just cleaned and lubed the front sprocket. I'll find out tomorrow morning if this has sorted out my problem. If it hasn't, then it's still a good job done.

The TPS problem? I'm not sure what you mean. ive just googled TPS. Do you mean throttle position sensor? And if it does need doing would yamaha still do it for free being a 2004 model? I doubt it.

Thanks again, Bob.

Yes Bob, TPS is Throttle Position Sensor..

Its still covered under warranty, no matter the age of the bike(safety issue). A Yamaha shop has to replace it if it hasn't been done yet(maybe 45 minutes). Click on the link I sent you, theres a phone # you can call Yamaha directly and check to see if its been done already to your bike(it affects low RPM performance/stalling, etc, there's a sticky, I think in the tech section).

****The FZ calls for a looser chain than most, at the taughtest spot of the chain, 1.75" to almost 2.25". I keep mine between 1.75 and 2.00". DO NOT GO TIGHTER than 1.75"... ****

If you can pull that chain several MM's from the sprocket, its toast as is the chain.

If you need a Genuine Yamaha FZ6 manual, PM me with an e-mail address, I have it as a PDF file, mention 2004 FZ as the two manuals are slightly different.. I can get it out later tonight or tomorrow...

bobdigi88

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, but i have the manual. appreciate the offer though.
I'll definitely look into that (TPS) and see if it's been done.

I'll see tomorrow if i have sorted the problem, and let you know.
Thanks, Bob.

bobdigi88

Reaction score
Visit site
The noise is still there. It cant be the chain and sprocket because i have realized the noise only happens after a gear change.

If it was the chain, then the noise would happen while accelerating regardless of gear change.

Perhaps it's nothing to worry about. The bike is 8 years old. I'm glad i've cleaned the front sprocket anyway.

As i say the noise happens after the gear change, just as i accelerate. If anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate it.