clutch out??

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the 2006 FZ6 I bought needs a clutch. It grabs way at the top or when the clutch handle is almost all the way out and the there is not really any play area. Just grabs, abruptly. and up and down shifting is affected. :banghead:

Thoughts??? Has anyone on here swapped in a new clutch. Is it a nightmare...should a just cough-up the money for a shop to do it?? :eek:

Thanks,
Audible

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the 2006 FZ6 I bought needs a clutch. It grabs way at the top or when the clutch handle is almost all the way out and the there is not really any play area. Just grabs, abruptly. and up and down shifting is affected. :banghead:

Thoughts??? Has anyone on here swapped in a new clutch. Is it a nightmare...should a just cough-up the money for a shop to do it?? :eek:

Thanks,
Audible

have you tried adjusting your cable. you can let some line out and see if it helps or if there is the same problem. as for replacing a clutch, it is like anything else. take your time and double check your work and you can do it in a day (3-5 hours doing it for the first time) and make sure you flush the engine with a fresh oil and filter change.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
That's normal for the FZ6. The friction zone is very limited and way out there.
The only real way to change that is to extend the lever where the clutch cable connects to the actual clutch on the right side of the engine.

A wider engagement range isn't neccessarily better. You'll get used to it soon and it won't even be an issue.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
It might just be the normal friction zone of the FZ6. I know when I go between the dirt bike and the FZ I have a bit of an issue adjusting to the small friction zone, but that goes away by the time I'm out of the neighborhood.

Do you have any other signs that would lead you to think clutch problems? I'd check the slack in your clutch cable, adjust it, and be smooth near the clutch engagement. I know there's not much there, but once you're used to it, it won't feel like you're just dumping the clutch.

Anyone else near you with an FZ6? Might let them ride it, or see if they'll let you ride theirs.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless its slipping upon acceleration it should be fine. As noted above, the friction "zone" is very, very short, much shorter than most bikes. It's normal... You'll get used to it...

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine in for it's 600 mile service and they adjusted the clutch and mine is now exactly like you describe.

If there is 2" of space between the hand grip and the lever when fully out, I only need to pull it in 1/2" to disengage the clutch to shift. Or from the other perspective if I have the lever pulled tight to the grip ( like starting out at a stop in first gear) I have to let out 1 1/2" before it will start to grab.

What I find myself doing if I'm not careful is to wind up the throttle too fast and be upwards of 4-5K rpm's when it finally grabs, makes for a not smooth take away. I have to work on keeping the throttle roll on smoother as I let out the clutch so it's probably closer to 3K rpm's as it grabs and then roll on more throttle up to the first upshift.

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
Do any of you feel a "clunk" when come to a stop, into first, and start to accelerate and feel a "clunk"?????? Engine does not spin like clutch is gone, but wondering if this is the clutch slipping and then it grabs...like partially worn out. I know previous owner liked hard starts as he told me he put in a lower gear front sprocket for better take offs?????????:confused: He gave me factory sprocket (looks new or was not used long). I plan to put back in. Aside from exhaust...I like a stock bike, plus he said the speedo is off by ~6mph due to aftermarket sprocket!!!!!!!

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
You might be hearing the chain/sprockets clunking.
Check the chain tension/alignment first and foremost.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If he replaced the ft sprocket I would immediatly check the torque of the nut securing the sprocket on as it should be very tight... Also check inside the rear wheel sprocket hub and make sure ALL the rubber cushions are there.....