Clutch Not Releasing in Neutral

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,

So I rolled the bike out of storage this morning, figured I'd get it all ready for the upcoming season.

I changed the oil, putting Motul 10w-40 in it. After running it, checking the oil level and all that good stuff, I went to roll it out of the garage so I had room to tidy up.

This is when I noticed that the clutch doesn't seem to release when in gear. What I mean to say, is I left the bike in gear and clutched in to roll the bike out, but it wouldn't roll. Shifting into neutral is no problem, so this would lead be to believe the issue is with the clutch cable/release as opposed to a gear issue. Could it be the cable has perhaps stretched in the off season and is not releasing fully?

I did a quick search for similar problems, but everyone seems to be talking about having issues stuck in gear.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Simply remove the oil filler cap and pull the clutch lever in while looking in the hole.

You should see about 1/8" of movement of the pressure plate OUTWARD. * If you do, it's working fine.*
The cable would not have stretched sitting there, that's fine..

I strongly suspect the clutch plates are simply stuck together from sitting.

If you have a downhill grade nearby, start the engine, roll down the hill, clutch IN, then shift into gear and release the lever. That should pop your plates loose.

If no grade, same thing, start/warm the engine, hold in clutch maybe 30 seconds, Then with both brakes on, drop into 2nd or first gear. It should let loose and be back to normal..

You can also prop the front wheel up against a wall to steady it and work the clutch/shifter...

Last edited:

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reply. What you're saying would make sense. I gave it a go, what you suggested and it definitely has improved. It's still not a free as when the bike is in neutral. I can now turn the wheel by hand when clutched, but still feel some resistance. I have put any miles on it yet this season, so I'm hoping it'll work itself in and get better one I take it out for a good ride.

Matt

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a downhill grade nearby, start the engine, roll down the hill, clutch IN, then shift into gear and release the lever. That should pop your plates loose.

Just speaking out loud, had the plates not separated after downhill roll, this could have ended up badly (think tip or spill) when coming to a stop if unable to disengage the clutch.

IMO a safer bet is to hold the brakes on and with the bike in gear, clutch pulled in; Do a Single Short Tap of the Starter Button. The bike may hunch up a bit but there is no danger of dumping bike especially if on side or center stand.

For your sake, I am glad it freed up.

FWIW I use Amsoil and even after sitting for months its never stuck the plates.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very off topic, but can someone on this thread check something for me...

Go to "EDIT POST". See if you have an option to BOLD anything NOW in your post.

My BOLD option (and underline, etc) is GONE. I used to be able to bolt on a thread response and can't anymore.

Please verify you have the BOLD option.... Thanks...

[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]

[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very off topic, but can someone on this thread check something for me...

Go to "EDIT POST". See if you have an option to BOLD anything NOW in your post.

My BOLD option (and underline, etc) is GONE. I used to be able to bolt on a thread response and can't anymore.

Please verify you have the BOLD option.... Thanks...

[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]

[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Yes, I can edit your post and bold text... Try downloading Firefox from Mozilla, install it, log on to the forum and see if it works for you. I do get the feeling the problem is on your end and not the forum regarding this issue. Have no idea about the mail notifications. Are you now getting the mail notifications?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a known, GOOD link Cliff for Fire fox?

And I am getting notifications.. Dennis fixed that last week..

Currently going thru IE and AOL, neither allows me to bold..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you should start a new thread?... what is AOL???

Chrome, Firefox, & I.E. 11 all work as does Android 7.0. Maybe you just need some fresh cookies? :Flash:

FWIW FF is a PITA as keeping it completely safe means not allowing it to auto-update everything which means a million nag screens for permision to update flash, Adobe, browser ect. It does have some nice popup blockers and mouse gesture add-ons tho! :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you should start a new thread?... what is AOL???

Chrome, Firefox, & I.E. 11 all work as does Android 7.0. Maybe you just need some fresh cookies? :Flash:

FWIW FF is a PITA as keeping it completely safe means not allowing it to auto-update everything which means a million nag screens for permision to update flash, Adobe, browser ect. It does have some nice popup blockers and mouse gesture add-ons tho! :thumbup:

Just did chrome update to already installed Google AND Firefox. Neither made a difference.... Still doesn't work.

You never heard of AOL??? Seriously??

The Op's issue is fixed.

Been working with admin, one issue WAS fixed on admin's side. WAS no e-mail notifications.

And yes, everything is updated, adobe, caches, etc..

Just NO more bolding for me...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, I'll try to call you today. I have a busy schedule. There may be something wrong with your​ OS or through what the browser is connecting to the Internet. I don't let my browser to connect thought the LAN in IE.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this what you're talking about??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170410-091124.jpg
    Screenshot_20170410-091124.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 34