Clutch lever almost out of reach.

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my FZ6 back from it’s first servicing and the clutch lever is now almost out of reach. Can I call the dealer and have this readjusted or is this clutch setting it? It does shift a little better now.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i may be incorrect, but for cheaper $ than the pazzo's can you use another brake lever and mount it upsidedown on the clutch perch? My buddies Tuono has adjustable brake and clutch levers and they look identical on both sides...

Probably wouldn't work, but it would be cheap and sweet if it did.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
i may be incorrect, but for cheaper $ than the pazzo's can you use another brake lever and mount it upsidedown on the clutch perch? My buddies Tuono has adjustable brake and clutch levers and they look identical on both sides...

Probably wouldn't work, but it would be cheap and sweet if it did.

never thought of that! what about from another bike? R6? is the FZ1 clutch adjustable? hmmm seems like it should be any lever that fits the bars... damn I need a motorcycle junkyard.

edit: fits the bars and clutch cable...duh

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems odd that the clutch lever would actually change in distance from the bar; that distance should be fixed. Did they just reduce the amount of free play? That is, as mentioned, easily adjustable at the base of the lever.

Longer shot - has the perch been rotated downwards? That would it harder to reach, making it seem farther away.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems odd that the clutch lever would actually change in distance from the bar; that distance should be fixed. Did they just reduce the amount of free play? That is, as mentioned, easily adjustable at the base of the lever.

Longer shot - has the perch been rotated downwards? That would it harder to reach, making it seem farther away.

damn! I always miss the easy stuff. definatly check the perch first.

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
They did take the free play out, now the clutch engages when the lever is just about all the way out. I stoped back by the dealer and they said this is the correct setting for the clutch. Before the servicing it had alot of play in it. I'll check the perch too and see if that's it. And it may just be someting I'll have to get more time on to get a feel for it.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
They did take the free play out, now the clutch engages when the lever is just about all the way out. I stoped back by the dealer and they said this is the correct setting for the clutch. Before the servicing it had alot of play in it. I'll check the perch too and see if that's it. And it may just be someting I'll have to get more time on to get a feel for it.

there is no "correct" setting except what fits for you! that is why it is adjustable. if you don't like where it is, adjust it. if it was meant to be in one place and one place alone, why is it adjustable? the techs at the dealership didnt want to spend the time to show you how to adjust it to fit you.

heres my cliff notes on that subject... play with the adjuster until you like where it engages/disengages. that is where it is supposed to be! :thumbup:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I'm replying to a couple people at once.

You can't use a brake lever upside down on the clutch side. The brake lever is made to push a piston, and the clutch lever is made to pull a cable. They won't swap.

The dealership set the lever correctly. The adjustment is there only to adjust for cable stretch and clutch wear. It's not a "lever position adjuster". If you're going to alter the free play, you need to understand exactly what you are doing or else you can potentially damage your clutch (seen it done).

If you loosen it too much, then pulling the lever in all the way to the bars won't fully release the clutch. So every time you shift or sit at a light, the clutch plates will be lightly dragging because you haven't fully disengaged them. This will wear out the clutch.

If you go the other way and tighten the adjuster to the point that there is no free play, then it's as though you're riding around with the lever pulled partway in all the time. The result? A clutch that isn't fully engaged and will slip at times, causing it to wear out quickly.

As a sidenote, it's possible to take a new clutch and kill it in less than a minute, if you do everything exactly wrong.

If you want adjustability, go with the Pazzo's.

Fred

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
I just came from the dealer and talked to the mechanic. He said that I could change the clutch lever adj. knob and now effect the clutch it's self. Which I dont see how that's possible. Maybe Pazzo levers are the answer, I just hate they went up on the price.

CoOlSlY

Reaction score
Visit site
Well... I have a 08 FZ1 wich I love (other than the dealer scratching the exhaut and saying "It was like that")... My girlfriend have a 08 FZ6. The problem is, I took her bike yesterday and the clutch completly engage in about less (Just checked) than 1/4 of a inch wich I find very very short. I'm not sure if i'm understood so I will explain... I release her clutch half way and it doesn't engage (that is ok), I then release just a little little bit and as soon as the bike moves, the clutch is completly "released", is it normal that there is such a little amount that the clutch is "operative"? The dealer say it's normal, never got any bikes that had such little gap and "move". (Tried about 15-17 bikes and the FZ6 has for sure the shortest clutch "range"). I am not talking about the adjustement (wich would just adjust if the clutch engage closer or not)...

Ah yeah, if we drive 1 hour in traffic and then stop, the bike won't start back wich IMO is not normal so we have to take the bike back aggaiiiinnn... Anybody had this problem also?

Thanx for helping, sorry for my english, it is not my primary language.

Sylvain

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

The friction zone on my 2004 is very narrow and at the end of the lever range. It has been this way from day one. I can bring it back toward the bar using the adjustment wheel but this generally screws things up in terms of shifting.