Clutch Cover Conundrum

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my clutch recently, and everything mostly went smooth except for reinstalling the cover.

I've wasted 3 hours so far trying to get it installed and i think I marred up my new gasket too.

Has anyone else reinstalled/replaced the clutch cover? I can't figure out how to get the puller and the shaft to line up and work together.
Any help appreciated!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my clutch recently, and everything mostly went smooth except for reinstalling the cover.

I've wasted 3 hours so far trying to get it installed and i think I marred up my new gasket too.

Has anyone else reinstalled/replaced the clutch cover? I can't figure out how to get the puller and the shaft to line up and work together.
Any help appreciated!

Got the PM Cliff, thanks!

The manual isn't much help but looking at the diagram and my own cover, I believe this is how its done:

There are marks (punch mark on the arm, arrow on the case) on both the arm and cover that MUST ALIGN once the cover is FULLY ON. Looking inside my own clutch cover, it appears you have to either start with the arm in some, or out some (DON'T ALIGNE YET) on the arm (that moves) while assembling. (You'll either have to put some tension on the return spring, or let it have some slack.)

If the rod coming out of the clutch has some in and out play, pull it out fully (as that's what the clutch arm is going to do)

As stated above the marks must line up once on, NOT WHILE ASSEMBLING.

As the cover/arm engauges with the clutch rod (as you put the cover on) , it'll move (either in or out, I don't know). If the marks don't align when the cover is fully seated, pull it back off slightly, move the arm in the direction you need it to be and push the cover on again. Repeat until they line up. The spring should pull the arm outwards if properly assembled (again, see pic's).

Make sure you have plenty of slack in the cable (I'd disconnect at the clutch purch) when re-attaching the lower end to the lower clutch arm.

That should do it

See below pic's:

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I got it put together and it works!
I also had the pressure plate installed wrong(punch marks not aligned) so I think that had something to do with it.

I'd have it running but I ran into a few other problems, like losing a rubber grommet on the valve cover, not having a tensioner gasket, and having to pull the cams again because the chain had too much slack.