Clutch cable broke

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
So, as I went to shift into first to come home from the store, I felt the clutch cable go all weird. When I looked down, there was just one small wire left out of the cable, the rest had frayed and split.

So, how do I go about changing the cable? Is it a matter of just buying the new cable and feeding it through the plastic housing?

Thanks.

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about not seeing the sticky.

No, the knob didn't break off. The cable itself became frayed and mostly broke. There are still a couple of threads left, but it doesn't give enough leverage to engage the clutch.

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Follow up question; I went to remove the clutch cable as per the pictorial walk through in the link given and I got to thinking. It seems like a pain to remove the entire thing.

Is there such a thing as just the inner cable portion where you can feed it through the holder, and then solder or in some other way attach the ends on to it? That seems like it would be much easier than having to remove the entire cable and housing.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Follow up question; I went to remove the clutch cable as per the pictorial walk through in the link given and I got to thinking. It seems like a pain to remove the entire thing.

Is there such a thing as just the inner cable portion where you can feed it through the holder, and then solder or in some other way attach the ends on to it? That seems like it would be much easier than having to remove the entire cable and housing.

Nope, it comes as a sealed cable.. (complete set-up) I doubt you can get just the inner cable. It is a pain to change, did mine earlier in the year, have to dismantle half the bike just to get the freaking cable threaded through the frame etc.

Good luck with it dude, let us know how you go.

:thumbup:

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I took the portion of the fairing off so I could move the gas tank. I mostly had the cable out, I just didn't want to remove it completely just on the off chance that it could be done with just the inner wire.

I am serious, that can't be that hard. There has to be a way to just push the wire through and then attach either end.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I will let you all know how it goes.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I took the portion of the fairing off so I could move the gas tank. I mostly had the cable out, I just didn't want to remove it completely just on the off chance that it could be done with just the inner wire.

I am serious, that can't be that hard. There has to be a way to just push the wire through and then attach either end.

It would be so much easier, it was a real pain threading the cable through the frame. I ended up removing the air-box as well. Was a good experience, but don't wanna do it again soon.

:)

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, one last question. I called two shops, and for some reason neither was able to find the FZ6 in their parts catalog (and one is an authorized Yamaha dealer). They found something they thought would work, but I don't really trust a shop that can't find the FZ6 in their catalogs.

So, where online can I order a clutch cable? Anyone have a part number?

Thanks again.

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/default.asp

I use these guys for yamaha oem parts. Great deals. But they do take like 1.5 weeks to get you your stuff. They have to get all the pieces together then send the order. But for the prices I use them as saving money is the most important to me.

You'll find the FZ6 in their stuff according to year and you can order anything from them it seems for our bikes.