Clip-ons on FZ6 track bike?

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Been I while since I've posted here.
But I'm in the middle of buying a set of stock R6 '04 clip-ons.

The reason is to have more control/feel with the bike on track.

I know Wolf has a FZ6 cup bike and maybe some other forum members have experience with a similar setup.

I don't need full turn motion on track, but I most certainly don't want to transform my bike into a undriveable dangerous bike or break my hands on the tank.

So will flat clip-ons (stock R6) fit on a FZ6-N ( yes it's a naked bike so no problem with the front fairing ) ?
Or do you need a minimum of rise on the clip-ons like the xxx Honda one's? On if yes, how much. Wolf can you tell me which one's are fitted on the cup bikes?

Please advise me :D

And thanks in advance :D

Peter

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I too am interested in hearing what people have to say. I might do this near the end of the season.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Woodcraft clip-on's, and they mount below top triple, mine are actually mounted upside down, to reduce the reach to the bars...you would never notice unless i told you, to look at the bike!

To stop the bars from hitting theank on ful ock, you will need to bolt on a steering stop on the lower triple clamp....basically a steel bar that limits how far you can turn the bars...this does make turning at very low speed, or when you are wheeling the bike around, a bit of a chore...till you get used to the limited lock...but these days i am used to it, and would not have the bike any other way...

I also had to do a bit of tuning to my rear shock to get the bike feeling "neutral" again, as too much weight on the front wheel does have the twin effect of making low speed turning "heavier", and also the bike wants to drop into corners, with a very washed out feeling, if the bike is too high at the back, due to the difference in weight transfer with the completely different rider weight distribution...

You will also want to put some higher, and backset rearsets on the bike, as with the OEM rearset position, and the clip-on's, your body will feel like the top of you is in a racers crouch, and the bottom will still feel like your sitting on a normal FZ6!!!! I found that once i got the pegs back, and higher, my body position was much more comfortable and advantageous to sports riding...

Putting clip-on's on the bike, sets off a chain reaction of effects, that you need to sort out, like they did on the FZ6 cup bike, which i used as a base set up for my "Cafe Racer" style FZ6.

Once you get everything sorted, man is a sweet, sweet ride! :D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you would just have to do a preload re-adjustment with the new riding position after install.

That's not so bad.

I still have to do mine this Saturday actually. I took a suspension class a couple weeks ago. Can't believe I left my suspension stock. I always thought there was just a "normal" mode it was on.....man is that the furthest thing from the truth....

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Very helpful post Wolf.

For sure I will mount the clip-ons below the upper triple, I never got why some guy's mount them on top and go and lower the front by 45mm ... that's just insane geo alteration.

I have a Andreani cartridge kit with pre-load adjuster and Ohlins height adjuster, so I think I will get the bike sorted ( I hope ). Just fail to see why Andreani didn't put a rebound adjuster as wel on top???

And I have a set op type 1 Valtermoto rearsets as well.

Wolf, your clip-ons are those "flat" types or with a rise?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very helpful post Wolf.

For sure I will mount the clip-ons below the upper triple, I never got why some guy's mount them on top and go and lower the front by 45mm ... that's just insane geo alteration.

I have a Andreani cartridge kit with pre-load adjuster and Ohlins height adjuster, so I think I will get the bike sorted ( I hope ). Just fail to see why Andreani didn't put a rebound adjuster as wel on top???

Jesus.

Can I have your bike?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very helpful post Wolf.

My clip-on's have no riser, the bar's insert in front of the clamp, either on the top half, or the bottom half of the clamp's, whichalso alters the angle of the bars.

I have the type3 Valtermoto's...nice kit! Do you have the back set plates as well, to push them higher and further back still...i found that i needed to nce i got the clip-on's on the bike....

As for people who drop the forks through the clamp's to put clip-on's on top, that is certifiable in my opinion!

Sounds like your on the right track.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Jesus.

Can I have your bike?

:eek::eek: No way I love my FZ more then the girlfriend ...

ps: Please don't tell her, she'll kill me :D .

@ Wolf: I don't have the setback plates, do you have a part number for those? I just lost my toe sliders on track yesterday ... need more ground clearance :D . And thanks for all the info :thumbup: .

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ LOL!

For what it's worth, I just ordered these a couple days ago: Apex Adjustable Riser Clip Ons from SportbikeTrackGear.com

They seem to offer a nice range of adjustments, and the possibility to fit them to the side of the forks is a requirement for me as my (naked) headlight is right against the forks.

I hope to have them fitted before my next trackday and will post a writeup on them.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek::eek: No way I love my FZ more then the girlfriend ...

ps: Please don't tell her, she'll kill me :D .

@ Wolf: I don't have the setback plates, do you have a part number for those? I just lost my toe sliders on track yesterday ... need more ground clearance :D . And thanks for all the info :thumbup: .

Get the back setr plates, and set the rearsets at their highest level, and you wont have anymore boot crushing issues! Been there, have the trashed boots to prove it! :eek:

Am sorry, i dont know the part number, but can find out, am going to the shop today to pick up some nice new sticky as, Pirrelll Supercorsa tyres....SC1 for the front, SC2 for the rear! :rockon:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Get the back setr plates, and set the rearsets at their highest level, and you wont have anymore boot crushing issues! Been there, have the trashed boots to prove it! :eek:

Am sorry, i dont know the part number, but can find out, am going to the shop today to pick up some nice new sticky as, Pirrelll Supercorsa tyres....SC1 for the front, SC2 for the rear! :rockon:

If you could find out that would be awsome :thumbup: .

And I'm thinking to go full slick, but then I have to get tire warmers and ... a set of wheels or I'll have to change the tires after every trackday.

In an Ideal world I would have a track bike and a street bike, but don't have the place nor the money to maintain 2 bikes ...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you could find out that would be awsome :thumbup: .

And I'm thinking to go full slick, but then I have to get tire warmers and ... a set of wheels or I'll have to change the tires after every trackday.

In an Ideal world I would have a track bike and a street bike, but don't have the place nor the money to maintain 2 bikes ...

I have 2 sets of wheels for that very reason....one set with Sticky track tyres that need tyre warmers, and the other with soft road biased tryes on them...

My only issue now is getting to the track! It always seem to cost more than you think, everytime you organise a day, and getting someone to come with you, and join in, is hard work sometimes too.

Tyre Warmers is something that is very high on my "WANT" list! Even if it's just to get the tyres nice and warm on cold winter's morning's, before that sports ride through the local twisties! :D

I dids'nt end up getting to the shop today either...too busy talking at another shop, then ran out of time! :spank:

I will pop into the shop tomorrow, as i need to get my Tyres i didnt get today!

They are not expensive, i think they cost about $120 AU, and they are decent...billet aluminium, about 15mm thick, 3 different mounting points for rearsets...

Actually, i have a spare set here....little bit secondhand, but nearly new!

If you want, i could sell you those, postage wouldnt cost much....(small & light), could save you a few dollars, and a bit of hassle....unless you can get them new off the shelf, and not on back order???

:thumbup:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
They are not expensive, i think they cost about $120 AU, and they are decent...billet aluminium, about 15mm thick, 3 different mounting points for rearsets...

Actually, i have a spare set here....little bit secondhand, but nearly new!

If you want, i could sell you those, postage wouldnt cost much....(small & light), could save you a few dollars, and a bit of hassle....unless you can get them new off the shelf, and not on back order???

:thumbup:

Sounds interesting, I will be the only one in the paddock rocking Aussi performance parts :D .

How much would you ask for them? The shipping should go to Europe, Belgium, Ghent (East Flanders).

And I know the guy who imports Valtermoto a bid, if I know the part number I can easily find out how much they are new here and if he has em.

Thx