Clicking when Braking Hard

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Last summer I had my steering bearing replaced together with a set of Racetech fork suspension. The fork seal and oil were replaced at the same time.

A few weeks after, it started getting a click sound when braking hard to a stop.

It clicks right before a full stop / or at the point of doing a stoppie. It doesn't click if I don't brake to a full stop or if I brake softly. So basically, it clicks on emergency braking to a full stop.

I had the steering checked by a shop. The first time they had to tighten the bearing/triple. The click got softer but still present. The second time they inspected the whole bearing and alignment and says it's fine but tighten it some more but say they can't tighten more than that, but the click remains.

Any idea? Any experienced this? Should I even bother hunting down this click?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Q? Is the click a rotating sound or from forks compressing?

Any dings in your stanchion tubes?
As the forks collapse, the spring may be dragging over something.

You might pull the caps and slowly drag each spring out. Examine the spacers, springs, tubes for anything the springs may catch on...

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Q? Is the click a rotating sound or from forks compressing?

Any dings in your stanchion tubes?
As the forks collapse, the spring may be dragging over something.

You might pull the caps and slowly drag each spring out. Examine the spacers, springs, tubes for anything the springs may catch on...

I am not sure what you mean by rotating sound. If you mean by steering left or right, then that does not cause any click. The click comes from the front end and I suspected a loose bearing. I forgot to mention that before I had my bearing tighten up - on a steep uphill, if I let the motorcycle go backwards some then use the front brake hard, it would also click. Notice there is no fork compression in this case but the opposite. It doesn't do that anymore since it has been tightened. That was one reason why the bearing was my #1 suspect. The shop also inspected my brakes and I had my rotor, pads replaced recently and that didn't affect the clicking sound.

The stanchion tubes are good, no dings. I could double check the inside of the fork just to be sure but it seems unlikely. Anything else I might have missed? The shop didn't seem to worry about the click.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just trying to clarify that its not a sound related to wheel rotation... Clicking....

Did it get tappered rollers or ball bearings? Ball bearings are far more likely to click if not preloaded properly. Rollers can be ran with greater preload while living with firmer or higher resistance to steer while BB go from one extreme to the other. i.e. harder to hit happy spot and some end up too tight others too loose.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Just trying to clarify that its not a sound related to wheel rotation... Clicking....

Did it get tappered rollers or ball bearings? Ball bearings are far more likely to click if not preloaded properly. Rollers can be ran with greater preload while living with firmer or higher resistance to steer while BB go from one extreme to the other. i.e. harder to hit happy spot and some end up too tight others too loose.

It has tapered rollers on. Even though I suspect the bearings, it may not be the culprit since the click has persisted through two separate sessions of removing the triple, inspecting the bearings and tightening them again.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a weird click/creak when I would rock the bike forwards and backwards intermittantly putting the brakes on when I muscle it out of an uphill parking spot or something. Found I had a loose frame bolt. Might be worth checking them out/making sure they're all torqued correctly

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's clicking at the beginning as you squeeze the lever, It could just be the brake pads floating on the caliper pins.
If it's clicking as the suspension compresses, it could be the fork internals, which isn't uncommon, I have a set of r6 fork legs kicking around and one of them clicks if I conpress it.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's clicking at the beginning as you squeeze the lever, It could just be the brake pads floating on the caliper pins.
If it's clicking as the suspension compresses, it could be the fork internals, which isn't uncommon, I have a set of r6 fork legs kicking around and one of them clicks if I conpress it.

Mine is clicking when fully compressed, I did much thing and discussed with Scott (Townsendsfjr1300) I didn't found anything.

I'm thinking fork internals getting noisy when they wear and tear, maybe bushings. I don't care the clicking, if fork is fine just loosen the fork stem bearings and use as it is.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I had tighten the frame's bolts recently, so that shouldn't be it.

The click occurs on compression (braking to the point of stoppie) so it could be the fork.

From your replies here, this might not be something worth spending time to find. Guess I am just going to have to ignore it. Thanks for all your replies. I miss the thanks button.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I had tighten the frame's bolts recently, so that shouldn't be it.

The click occurs on compression (braking to the point of stoppie) so it could be the fork.

From your replies here, this might not be something worth spending time to find. Guess I am just going to have to ignore it. Thanks for all your replies. I miss the thanks button.

Thank for this post is left at the bottom left corner of posts. :) hard to find on first time.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take one spring out, throw the bars back on it and pump the nose up and down. It will move easier and you can isolate it. Well maybe.

I would want to know as crack in something could be detrimental to your well being.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
[video=youtube;KeN11wW3bTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeN11wW3bTE[/video]

my bike's sound is this, sometimes I can not stand the noise coming from front end.

The posts in the video's page is "noise is coming from brake caliper" but my bike is doing this sound when I ride over potholes.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have someone push on the nose with the brake on and feel the parts. You may find the source of the click.

Keep in mind that as you push forward, the pads may shift forward in the calipers (drug ahead) and as the bike rebounds ((WHILE STOPPED)), it may in fact rotate the pads backwards a very small amount which could be audible.

While riding; if you keep forward momentum I would think it is NOT possible for the pads (wheel) to rotate backwards. But the still the pads may shift. If you have an S2 4piston caliper, pull the antirattle spring out and go for a ride (YOU MUST INSTALL THE PIN AND KEEPERS) and see if it changes it.

Last edited: