Clear coat over tank decals?

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought some vinyl decals from Immortalgraphix.com, love them but concerned about wear. Anybody done a home clearcoating job on their tank?
Thought about taping off around decals and spraying a few layers...would spare the rest of the tank if I screwed it up. Your thoughts?

Will post pics when done.

Daryldaddy

Elite Member
Reaction score
central BC / Canada...on beautifull Quesnel lake
Visit site
Be very carefull here ...some clearcoats will react with the vinyl... It's happened to me in the past . If you have a spare decal apply your selected clear onto it and check for compatibility...Most vinyl decals now a days hold up very well to wear and fadeing...just to note most lacquer based clears will have a negative effect... Good Luck...Daryl

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't it be cheaper (and less likely to be screwed up) to just buy a few spare stickers? then if one fades or peels off you can just put on a new one........

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't it be cheaper (and less likely to be screwed up) to just buy a few spare stickers? then if one fades or peels off you can just put on a new one........

you are the winner here.
Much cheaper unless you plan on using a spraybomb or really crappy clearcoat. Which will peel off and lose gloss resulting in a respray anyways.

I would leave the decals, that stuff is extremely durable

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
The simplest answers are usually best. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
7 dollar sticker vs. tank repainting?? It's a no brainer. I used to be smart when I was younger. What happened?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
The tank takes a special clear impervious to gasoline. If you used a regular clear it would probably end up discolored, etc. But, I guess you're not even going to use a clear coat now---even better!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The simplest answers are usually best. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
7 dollar sticker vs. tank repainting?? It's a no brainer. I used to be smart when I was younger. What happened?

I'm sorry I have to say it, your from louisiana..... Only state I have ever been in that I saw a car going down the interstate that didn't have a windshield or a hood.....:spank:

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Easy there New York, there are idiots all over. I'm just busy trying not to bring Louisiana's average down!

Last edited: