Quick and Easy Matte Black Re-spray

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So, like most owners I really didn't like a few of the colors that came standard on my 06 - namely the exhaust cover, radiator covers, inner farings and front fender - I thought that the silver doesn't fit the black frame of the bike, and neither did the glossy black.

Quick and easy solution - which I'll probably come back to with a couple more uniform coats and more love in the winter when my bike is garaged for the cold Cleveland winter. Primer, a can of Super Matte Black (rustoleum camouflage), and a can of Matte Clear Coat (I didn't realize that they make this until I found it at home depot, also made by Rustoleum).

A few coats of the black, followed by a light coat of the Matte Clear coat

and the finish on my plastics is about as close to a perfect match to the frame as I could hope for. A couple of pictures for you - Haven't done the front fender yet, that's next, helps with comparison to the gloss.

efVuy.jpeg

awv2k.jpeg

BsZq4.jpg

Oh wow - big pictures

Also have to re-finish the rear handles, but since they're higher contact I'm going to spend a bit more time on them. I'm probably throwing the VS-2 kit on soon, if not I'l be painting the rest of the front faring (less the side accent pieces) black also.

Let me know what you guys think.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like you have a S1 model which is a 2005 FZ6, however, I like what you have done, the picture size makes it difficult to really appreciate your work though.

Neil

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having trouble seeing it. Can you post bigger pictures? :BLAA:

You can always press crtl + - to zoom out (and press ctrl + + to zoom back in ofcourse), makes it a lot easier to see.

On topic: looks pretty neat, especially the radiator cover. Good job!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll try my best cheek, but I've only got an 8MP camera so we'll see what I can do.

Nelly: I'm pretty sure it's an 06, isn't the main difference silver(04/05) vs. black(06+) frame?

But you left those hideous stickers on the swingarm! :spank:

I'm not done yet - front fender and stickers will be tackled with the week of rain we're getting here! To be honest, I never really notice the hideous stickers, but I feel like i'm going to from now on.

Also - she's going naked soon - have the VS-02 kit coming soon!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the the advice on the control zoom option. I will try it when I'm back on my PC.
NEIL

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the swing arm, instrument cluster and cat converter changed with the 2006 S2 models. My bike is also registered as a 2006 but is actually a S1 model. Still a great bike.
[Edit] actually I think your right, I have just had a brain fart, 2007 was the start if the S2 model.
Neil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: