Cleaning wheels

flyer34

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 350 miles on the bike now. I washed it for the first time the other day and I noticed that I have chain lube all over the wheels. The lube is whatever the dealership used when they assembled it. I don't know what it is, but it's thick and doesn't come off very easy. What's the best way to clean it off? All of the wheel cleaners in the auto parts stores say 'not safe for motorcycle wheels'. Any suggestions?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Pig Snot. Its a motorcycle cleaner that my Dad carries, and it has worked well for me. We have used S100 for years, and it works very good, just do not let it sit long. Also after you clean it, get some Mother's Aluminum polish and a Mini Powerball and go to town.

-bryan

Last edited:

au.FZ6N

destroyer of worlds
Reaction score
Visit site
degreaser here as well then soap + water then fine grade cut then polish with mothers clear coat crap i have in the garage

to clean my wheels properly i would ideally every 6 months take them off and clean them on the bench

and just soap + water once a month

the degreaser i use is called "koalacare" unfortunately has no koalas in it :(

this thread now will sit in the forefront of my mind as i have managed to neglect cleaning my ride for 6 months... and jesus it needs it :(

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i use the waterless bike cleaner (Hondapolish to be exact, but they make several different spray cleaners) and it works great on the whole bike and then if you spray it on and let it sit for a few mins it does a great job on the wheels too.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Soap and water. My sponge is designed to remove bugs and tar from the car and works fine on the wheels as well. Has a very open plastic net around it.

I have also found micro-fibre cloths work really well on cars and bikes. I got some from the motorcycle show last year.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
WD-40 works exceptionally well as a rim cleaner. It really isn't much of a lubricant, anyway. I have been using it for years to clean grease and chain lube of of the rims and undercarriage of my bikes.

J

jsteinb95

Turtle wax bug and tar remover.
It doesn't say anything about motorcycles, but it removes "bugs, tar, oil, grime, road film, tree sap, paint spots, stubborn stains and asphalt."
It works pretty good. :thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Turtle wax bug and tar remover.
It doesn't say anything about motorcycles, but it removes "bugs, tar, oil, grime, road film, tree sap, paint spots, stubborn stains and asphalt."
It works pretty good. :thumbup:

did you go out and read the bottle of that stuff?