Cleaning off road salt...

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So with it being such a nice day and the wife at work, I washed the bike after riding in the rain last week. I used S100, but I could not get the salt from under the headers and front/bottom of the engine. It looks white washed and bugs the piss outta me:rant:
Any suggestions? And yes, I searched the subject:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are 2 things I'm thinking of. One is S100 shows up white if it's not rinsed off well enough. I end up rubbing it off with a rag every time I use it and I feel like I really rinse it well.
The other is salt is water soluble. Get a brush, Plain water, scrub and rinse? :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh - Joe..... Poor Guy!

Maybe its like an old Cast Iron Frying Pan and needs seasoned with motor oil!!! :spank:

Salt or S100, once heated is there till your next buffing session. So its veryy likely the salt all along. If you have any nics in the paint on the wheels be sure to clean it well. Nothing worse than corrosion (alum) and/rust on iron bits.

You should get a Suzuki for the Winter! :eek: :D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are 2 things I'm thinking of. One is S100 shows up white if it's not rinsed off well enough. I end up rubbing it off with a rag every time I use it and I feel like I really rinse it well.
The other is salt is water soluble. Get a brush, Plain water, scrub and rinse? :)

Thats what I kind of figured. I'll head over to the cheap tool store tomorrow and get a brush. I though I had rinsed it off well enough, maybe not.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh - Joe..... Poor Guy!

Maybe its like an old Cast Iron Frying Pan and needs seasoned with motor oil!!! :spank:

Salt or S100, once heated is there till your next buffing session. So its veryy likely the salt all along. If you have any nics in the paint on the wheels be sure to clean it well. Nothing worse than corrosion (alum) and/rust on iron bits.

You should get a Suzuki for the Winter! :eek: :D

Whats a suzuki:confused: LOL:D

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Off the honda website (don't ask why I was there)....but they recommend using COLD water...NEVER warm to remove salt residue.

Some of the guys over at Adv Rider forum also this stuff. Salt-Away Home Page