Cleaning a Jacket

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It started sprinkling lightly as I was finishing up at the Farmer's Market this morning, and by the time I got home I was completely soaked. :rockon: My Firstgear "Rush" mesh jacket had been getting a little funky anyway, so I threw it, my riding jeans, gloves and helmet liner into the washer. My Hi-Viz yellow jacket had also been looking really dingy up by the collar/upper chest (I don't think I drool when I eat...) was hoping that'd get cleaned too.
Well, it didn't, still dark, and then I noticed the fronts of my sleeves are stained too. The windshield must be protecting my lower chest/stomach from road grime while the rest of the coat gets blasted.
Anyhoo, does anyone have a special detergent or trick to getting mesh jackets clean? Or do I just wear it like a badge of honor? (I won't try WD-40 this time)
Thanks!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Botch, try this stuff:

Nikwax Tech Wash - 10 oz. at REI.com
(this stuff is made for waterproof textiles)

For really tough spots, you might need to pre-treat. Sometimes bug guts get a little hard to get off, but a little tech wash and an old toothbrush usually do the job.

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Brenda! Fortunately Amazon had that too so I was able to order it with free (Prime) shipping! :thumbup:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/McNett-MiraZyme-Enzyme-Based-Odor-Eliminator/dp/B0009RRTO4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1379201694&sr=8-3&keywords=mirazyme]Amazon.com: McNett MiraZyme Enzyme-Based Odor Eliminator: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

And MiraZyme works well for getting the funk out. I've used it on my summer jacket and pants, and helmet liner with success. Spray it or dunk it. Has a mild soapy smell -- much better than ineffective, retch-inducing Febreze.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I found the secret to be a good "soaking". I bought a used First Racing mesh jacket at the beginning of the summer. It had years of accumulated dust and dirt, but was cheap. Found a big plastic box in the basement about 2 feet by 4 feet by 10 inches high, designed to store sweaters, etc. under the bed. Filled it just about full with water, threw in the jacket and soaked it overnight. That loosened up all the crud. Added a very little bit of some cheap laundry liquid detergent I use in the garage. Then just agitated the jacket and water with my hands, at regular intervals over several hours (every time there was a commercial on the program(s) I was watching). Ultimately dumped out the dirty water, and rinsed the jacket with two more changes of fresh clear water, while I kneaded and squeezed the jacket to flush out/remove any remaining crud. Worked like a champ. I'm an old guy, in an old jacket, but it's clean!
- - - Jim

Last edited:

Don't Panic

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a white and red Icon compound that has a mesh chest and back, but leather arms. Soaking would probably be a bad idea, yeah?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My Revit Tarmac Mesh Jacket is predominately white, so I just spray on some stain remover that I buy off the shelf at the supermarket, let it soak a bit on the areas that are really dirty and then just wash it with the rest of my clothes. I use to take the time to take the armour out of the jacket, but lately I've been kind of lazy and have left it in.

I actually tried to wash my bike through the brushless car wash with my gear on one time, that didn't turn out too well.