Check your fan!

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:hijack:

Water Cooling of computers is quite common, and really looks quite cool :)disapprove:) with some nice LEDs etc...

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, CPU fans are generally 12 volts DC, so they'd work on a bike's electrical system.

They're much smaller, you'd need a lot of them.

And the big problem is that they're not designed to get wet. They'd not appreciate it when you rode in the rain.

I find myself wondering how the rock got into the fan. My best guess is that it was thrown up by the front tire, bounced off of the engine or header, and then wound up inside the fan. It's a bankshot.

If that's the case, it might be possible to make some sort of shield. Maybe something mounted to the back of the radiator, or possibly just an extension to the front fender.

I think the fault is the combination of the shrouded fan design and a lack of a mesh screen behind the fan motor. In my incident the rock was lodged between the shroud and the radiator. Look at the fan design of the naked SV650 and you will see that not only is there a mesh guard behind the motor, but the shroud and the fan are seperate units with plenty of clearance between them. Though it is true that these rock/pebble incidents are rare, I agree that the FZ6's fan design could be better.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the fault is the combination of the shrouded fan design and a lack of a mesh screen behind the fan motor. In my incident the rock was lodged between the shroud and the radiator. Look at the fan design of the naked SV650 and you will see that not only is there a mesh guard behind the motor, but the shroud and the fan are seperate units with plenty of clearance between them. Though it is true that these rock/pebble incidents are rare, I agree that the FZ6's fan design could be better.

My rock was also lodged between the fan and radiator. I'm guessing if they simply increase the distance between the two as they did on the earlier years we wouldn't have problems.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Let's check you math here. Of those 4,000 members how many are active and actually post on a regular basis? My guess if far less than half! Of those half how many own the 2007 model? I'm guessing far less than that!

Like it or not is IS a real problem on the FZ6.

Who in there right mind would put a car fan on a bike? You do realize that we have a VERY limited number of watts to play with right?

dude even at 1000 members thats 1%
LOW LOW LOW minor problem

i said a FWD car fan numbnuts they are SMALL and will fit
it is not the watts we have to worry about it is the AMP drawn by the fan

you guys are whinging about something so small
go get a life and let me know when something like the rad actually falls off or the mounts break dude to vibration

S

soul2coal

" whining about something so small" I tell ya what, get caught on the interstate behind a wreck or really slow moving traffic for any length of time, and then we will see how insignificant that fan is. I think we all know that the fan is there for a reason. I think the fan burning up could be solved if only the fuse would have blown. I think maybe a lower amperage fuse should be used, anyone else? MATT

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
So now we resort to name calling? First off I'm no "numbnuts"!!! I would never think of installing a auto fan on a bike. It is plane silly to even thing on those lines.

You're saying that 1 out of every 100 bikes with a problem is acceptiable? I think NOT! Yamaha is responsiable for this and should fix it as far as I see.

It's odvious we don't see eye to eye on this. I can debate without name calling. I would suggest that you do the same.

dude even at 1000 members thats 1%
LOW LOW LOW minor problem

i said a FWD car fan numbnuts they are SMALL and will fit
it is not the watts we have to worry about it is the AMP drawn by the fan

go get a life and let me know when something like the rad actually falls off or the mounts break dude to vibration

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

Something so small!!! I was on a 750 mile one way trip when my fan took a **** dive! I wound up doing a little over 2,200 miles in 5 days without a fan. Have you done that NUMBNUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

You consider us talking about a know problem whining? What should we discuss on a FZ6 forum? I feel free to discuss problems, strengths, and whatever esle I see fit. I'm sorry you don't see this as a problem, but I and others do. Don't get in the way of a free discussion with your one way thinking.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
"Thank you for deducting reputation from this user."

That's the first time I've seen that message pop up!

For the record, Volts times Amps equals Watts.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I think maybe a lower amperage fuse should be used, anyone else? MATT

It's worth a shot. The trick is to find a fuse that will blow when the motor stalls (high current draw), but won't blow when the motor is starting from a stop (momentary high current draw).

Downsizing the fuse might well work, but you'd have to experiment with various amperages. You may want to look into slow blow fuses. As named, they blow slower.

No dirty comments please, I already thought of them all!

A slow blow fuse, ideally, would not blow when the fan is first starting up, but would blow if the fan was stalled for several seconds. You'd want it to blow before the brushes got hot enough to melt their plastic holders, which is probably what's killing the fan motor when it stalls.

Fred

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
So now we resort to name calling? First off I'm no \"numbnuts\"!!! I would never think of installing a auto fan on a bike. It is plane silly to even thing on those lines.

You're saying that 1 out of every 100 bikes with a problem is acceptiable? I think NOT! Yamaha is responsiable for this and should fix it as far as I see.

It's odvious we don't see eye to eye on this. I can debate without name calling. I would suggest that you do the same.

why not if the current draw is the same what is the difference? and a 12v motor is a 12V motor...
everyone is complaining about the fact the yammy one is sooo expensive
i suggested an alternate
now according to my bike the fan has a 20A fuse..
quite a bit a quick look on the davies craig website showed fans larger than ours that draw LESS

yes i am saying it is acceptable how many bikes and cars are out there that have SMALL niggling problems simalar to this? it only happens in real worl testing over 10000's of bikes/cars whatever over different situations that the manufacture can not account for

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Something so small!!! I was on a 750 mile one way trip when my fan took a **** dive! I wound up doing a little over 2,200 miles in 5 days without a fan. Have you done that NUMBNUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hold on u whereon 750 mile trip fan died... ok
how that equal to 2500?

if something liek that broke u fix BEFORE u go anywhere there was a chance that you may have overheated your engine causing damage

S

soul2coal

It's worth a shot. The trick is to find a fuse that will blow when the motor stalls (high current draw), but won't blow when the motor is starting from a stop (momentary high current draw).

Downsizing the fuse might well work, but you'd have to experiment with various amperages. You may want to look into slow blow fuses. As named, they blow slower.

No dirty comments please, I already thought of them all!

A slow blow fuse, ideally, would not blow when the fan is first starting up, but would blow if the fan was stalled for several seconds. You'd want it to blow before the brushes got hot enough to melt their plastic holders, which is probably what's killing the fan motor when it stalls.

Fred

I'm a maintenance foreman at a coal mine. I can see what we have in our parts warehouse an maybe come up with something I can adapt over. I don't think the inrush current would be very high on this little motor. Just have to try different variations. Of course it goes without saying, anything I use from work, "I'll pay for" :thumbup: MATT

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
ohhh noo you took away my rep points:eek:

do i get a :ban: for this?

i dont give a rats ass about rep

its going to be a year since ive joined this forum and ive never seen a member that has reached this level of rudeness,,,this type of argument happens all the time but never has been elevated by this kind of rude comments and calling names before....i would suggest you to calm down and start writing in more friendly manner...im no admin or anything but it really disturbed me to read your posts on this subject...

the fan problem never happened to me and if there is a %1 percentage out there having the same problem ,it is a huge huge design problem and has to be taken care of by yamaha....i cant beleive you really think that %1 is a little number...i personally dont think it has reached that percentage out of the whole produced after 07 fz6's yet but beleive me if it reaches that percentage you will know it from yamaha by receiveing a recall letter from 'em...

from the experiences from this forum,it looks like this is an issue and needs to be taken care of by the owners for now...not everyone is riding their bikes around gravel roads all the time,,,it is obvious that if we do,,we will have this issue,too..

i would never think of installing a car fan to the bike,,,i dont know what kind of fan your car has but i can only think of smart cars as an example that its fan might be as small as fz6's....please give me an example car that might be using a same size cooler fan as our bikes...

have you ever had to think about not installing an electrical equipment to your car because the battery might not be able to support it? the answer is "no" of course....
if you have a dual headlight mod,,,running a gps at the same time,,waiting at the traffic,,,maybe honking your stebel horn,,,and if your aftermarket FWD car fan kicks in when the temps reach the point,,there is a high possibility that your bike will die right there or wont be charging your battery untill you have reached your destination where you wont be able to start again...then you will understand how crucial those lost extra amps are to start that fan...

i like the idea of computer fans but i dont think they have the capability to reach the same rpm as the original fan,,,,their motors are very very small...

i would never put another fan to my bike and i sure hope that it never happens to any of us,,,,good thing is we all know that this problem is out there thanks to the forum and im sure we will be more careful and we will know where to look if the fan stops blowing in the future :thumbup:

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I warmed up the engine, let it sit till the temp hit 210 degrees and then the fan came on (thank goodness) and brought the temp down below 200 degrees at which time the fan went off. Watched it successfully perform a second cycle of this and then turned the engine off.

I want to thank the OP for this very valuable information. I'm sorry you had to go through this for us to learn and it is kind of you to share this misfortune. Knowing this potential "weak link" of our bikes I will check the fan for free rotation before and after (when cooled down) all my rides and especially after going over any pebbles. I will also limit my "off road" time.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find myself wondering how the rock got into the fan. My best guess is that it was thrown up by the front tire, bounced off of the engine or header, and then wound up inside the fan. It's a bankshot.

If that's the case, it might be possible to make some sort of shield. Maybe something mounted to the back of the radiator, or possibly just an extension to the front fender.

This is exactly how it happens. Today I did some experimenting on a friends gravel driveway, which is about 100 yards long. I had my BIL ride my bike and I rode next to him on his VN2000. At speeds below 10mph, the stones stick to the tire and fall off at pretty much any given point on the circumference. Some stones were actually falling off the front of the tire. Stones were bouncing all over the front of the engine. It took about seven trips up and down this driveway to lodge a stone in the fan. This stone was big enough to probably do damage to the radiator fins if the fan had actually come on. It was too big to get wedged or fall out, so it most likely would have been pinned against the "shroud" of the fan blades and done who knows what before it flew out.

At speeds above 10 mph, the stones start flying in an arc, and seem to leave the tire about 90* from the contact patch. Once above 20 mph, the stones barely grace the bottoms of the headers.

I DO feel that this is something Yamaha needs to look at. Yes it may be a small issue, but the fan motor is not exactly small in price. A small mesh screen should work without reducing air flow too much. Or simply add an 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch between the radiator and the fan, this should allow most foreign matter to fall out.