Cheap heating grips

Lynx

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
I would like to share about my cheap grip heaters project. I took 15W 12V 2pcs skinny bulbs (you can find them for example in IKEA) wrapped in fireproof material and installed inside of tube(grips) Drilled small holes for wires in the middle of steering bar, installed relay and switch on the left side of fairing. Relay is placed inside of fairing. Bulbs connected to battery trough the relay.
Bike passing light controls relay, which protects you from accidental drainage of battery. And I have disconnect switch if I do not want heaters on.
I often happy that I have done this mod. I use that for 6 month and bulbs even survived wheelies and one slide.
If somebody interested I might put some pictures, but not much to see.
I just wanted to share about idea if you do not want to pay to much for heating grips.
I had all parts in garage so I did not spend any money but its not expensive project.
Best regards from Comox Valley
Mark

Lynx

Reaction score
Visit site
Heaters warm up in about 2 min after they turn on, heat keeps warm but not hot your hands without gloves and just enough warm with gloves in the bad weather. My relay located just under switch which you can see on picture. Relay is just standard automobile relay, you can find them anywhere. You can use 30W bulbs but connect them in series, I used that also it works ok.
Do not forget that your amperage drainage on bike increased so if you have two front lights always on (it is another my mod) or high beam and you drive on very low rpm for long time your battery draining not charging.
Also I suggest waterproof switch or make water drainage on switch like mine (small hole on the bottom of switch) to prevent water built up in switch.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
can you see light coming from your bar ends at night?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk