Cheap ( Ebay ) Steel Brake Lines

rain city

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems absurd to pay $100 for front, $80 for back for brake lines. Plus I can't really afford that - along with the laundry list of other things I want to do/buy (you know what I'm talkin about).

Did I mention I love any thread that begins with the word cheap? I appreciate quality but I believe that with alot of parts, once you take the label off, you'd never know the difference.

Has anyone had any experience with a cheap set of brake lines such as these?

generic-brake-line.jpg

These look pretty official for a very decent price

bremzen.jpg

This custom make brake line could also be very cheap if you knew the correct length and fitting of our bikes. (if anyone wanted to take a look, and share that info, wow, that could help alot of people save some serious $$ when doing this mod)
customlines.jpg

I don't believe this specific topic has been thoroughly covered. Looking forward to your responses. :thumbup:

Last edited:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO, you pay more in the long run by buying cheap stuff. Waiting for a good deal and buying something reliable that you saved up for is a much better investment and overall feeling.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
They did a test a while back in a bike magazine on 20 quid Motrax stainless lines V Goodrich 70 quid stainless lines.
No difference in braking performance or feel,though the fittings on the Goodrich were better quality.So if your after the looks go with Goodrich or Hel.If your after more for your $,go with something like Motrax :thumbup:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I only paid about $120 for my Hels when they were on sale at CycleSector last year. I'm not sure I would ever risk skimping on something as important as brake lines...... I'd want to see test results first.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You get what you pay for. Is it worth the risk in buying cheap brake lines? Granted they may perform just fine, but the metals will be inferior, and most likely will rust or pit. The extra cost is not all profit, top notch stainless steel is very expensive.

Me personally, I would save up and buy a set of reputable lines that are known to be of good quality.

rain city

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I am deterred from buying Hel based on the customer service from the group buy, otherwise I'd consider it. Those bremzen lines are looking pretty good to me, the whole kit for 130 seems pretty reasonable.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Thanks for the responses. I am deterred from buying Hel based on the customer service from the group buy, otherwise I'd consider it. Those bremzen lines are looking pretty good to me, the whole kit for 130 seems pretty reasonable.

I bought my HEL lines off their HEL eBay store and had zero problems or issues and fast shipping.

I wouldn't be put off on what happend to a group order some time ago.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Bremzen and they are well-made and are performing very well for me. I bought them from the same seller that you have in your pic there.

Last edited:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I did some work at a place that made brackets for cars,you know water pump ones that kind of thing.Anyway this fella had 2 big containers of them, which he would stamp out on a press.When he had done 1000,he would change the head to stamp the manufactures names on them.he did half stamped Audi and half stamped Ford.Same bracket,different name on it.
When I say the same,the Audi one retailed at 4 times the Ford one........

Big Brand means best? I stopped swallowing that one some time back ;)

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So did anybody actually have the specs on the measurements of the brake lines?

I want to do custom lines with perhaps an extra 1.5 inches in case I decide to do handlebar risers down the line.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my Hel lines about 6 months ago and they custom made the front about 2 inches longer for excatly the same reason you wanted yours longer. No problems at all and when it came to ordering the guy at Hel here in Australia was the most fantastic guy to deal with, So I am very happy to reccomend them to anyone in OZ.

Now the hassle with running risers only comes about with a naked as the routing of cables and wiring is such as it is as hidden as possible but that means there is bugger all slack so you might find I put my Motorrad 1"up and 1" back risers up for sale

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
why do you need steel brake lines? unless you are at the track all the time it is a waste of money. the bike already has more brakes than you can use.

Seems absurd to pay $100 for front, $80 for back for brake lines. Plus I can't really afford that - along with the laundry list of other things I want to do/buy (you know what I'm talkin about).

Did I mention I love any thread that begins with the word cheap? I appreciate quality but I believe that with alot of parts, once you take the label off, you'd never know the difference.

Has anyone had any experience with a cheap set of brake lines such as these?

generic-brake-line.jpg

These look pretty official for a very decent price

bremzen.jpg

This custom make brake line could also be very cheap if you knew the correct length and fitting of our bikes. (if anyone wanted to take a look, and share that info, wow, that could help alot of people save some serious $$ when doing this mod)
customlines.jpg

I don't believe this specific topic has been thoroughly covered. Looking forward to your responses. :thumbup:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Big Brand means best? I stopped swallowing that one some time back ;)

From watching one of my favorite shows How It's Made, I've learned that what separates brand name from generic can be tons more money in craftsmanship and material, or simply a different label.

Working most of my career in pharmaceuticals, I've also seen that the difference between brand name drugs and generics is essentially negligible. In this case, you're paying for the immense R&D costs associated with the first company (the "brand name" to market). Generic drugs in a heavily regulated environment carry the same effectiveness (typically).

That said, pick and choose between brand name and generic wisely and you sacrifice nothing. Poorly, and you could end up with buyer's remorse.

In this specific case, I haven't done the research so I can't say which way to go.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
why do you need steel brake lines? unless you are at the track all the time it is a waste of money. the bike already has more brakes than you can use.

Really? I thought (and I'm speaking from zero experience here) that SS brake lines have the advantage of longevity? Don't OEM standard lines have a replacement interval of every 2 years or something? Not that everyone follows that...

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Really? I thought (and I'm speaking from zero experience here) that SS brake lines have the advantage of longevity? Don't OEM standard lines have a replacement interval of every 2 years or something? Not that everyone follows that...

Well, I had a '78 Honda CB400. Brake hoses were never changed. Still worked "fine". Though I am sure that with new rubber hoses the brakes would have been improved.

Anyway, I bought SS lines because you have supposedly improved braking "feel".

I don't ride on track, but even in the city, under heavy riding I could feel sponginess of brakes on FZ6.

Besides I got a pretty good deal on the lines so that pretty much pushed me over to get them.