Cheap Camera Mount

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, Thought I'd chuck a small write up in here for my camera mount.

I used the idea that I saw here a while ago, and with all the talk of cameras lately, thought I'd give it a go.
This is the link that gave me the inspiration...
HOWTO: Cheap Camera Handlebar Mount

I changed a couple of things though. I have used a screw-in cap for the bolt, and have used foam rubber to insulate the mount from the bars. Basically, the same stuff though... (pic 1) All pretty common stuff, a 1" X 1/4" UNC bolt, some tap washers, flat washers and hose clamps, (I had the foam rubber laying around here). All up, cost me about $20 for 2 of them.

Make sure you get the correct size "T" piece though. The one I got was a bit large, so had to cut extra out of it so it would clamp down hard on the bar.

If you follow the guidelines in the above link, you should end up with something like pic 2.

After that, it's screw the camera on and ride. There is still some vibration there, so I will look for something better to insulate it.

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jq1Y0tVzLms"]YouTube - Home-made camera mount[/ame]

:)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I used the idea that I saw here a while ago, and with all the talk of cameras lately, thought I'd give it a go.

I changed a couple of things though. I have used a screw-in cap for the bolt, and have used foam rubber to insulate the mount from the bars. Basically, the same stuff though... (pic 1) All pretty common stuff, a 1\" X 1/4\" UNC bolt, some tap washers, flat washers and hose clamps, (I had the foam rubber laying around here). All up, cost me about $20 for 2 of them.

Make sure you get the correct size \"T\" piece though. The one I got was a bit large, so had to cut extra out of it so it would clamp down hard on the bar.

If you follow the guidelines in the above link, you should end up with something like pic 2.

After that, it's screw the camera on and ride. There is still some vibration there, so I will look for something better to insulate it.

YouTube - Home-made camera mount

Have seen this mount first hand.......and Dave is being modest, vibration is minimal, mount is solid as a rock, about $50 cheaper than some injection moulded plastic commercially available mount, and the best part is....Dave made one for me too!!!!!

Great Job Dave!!!!!

:rockon::thumbup::cheer::rockon::thumbup::cheer:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, vibrates more than I would like, especially under acceleration, but it's not too bad.
The sun was a bit of a nuisance, I don't know/have the means to edit/ fix it either.

But, it does work, and for $10-$15, not too bad.

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqmQtmZyKk"]YouTube - Cam test 2[/ame]

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon that is pretty decent. Riding into the sun when it is that low in the sky, with the camera behind a screen, is always gonna cause issues.

I did not think vibration was that bad....thanks for posting the video.

:rockon:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks dude. Your video confirmed my assessment of my camera when I tried to do some video. I found that when the sun was behind me I had trouble too. I don't think it's quite up for it.

Having said that, it does beat not having one...lol.

If you want a full on test for vibrations and rigidity, try a slightly corrugated road at a fair clip....lol...My first attempt didn't like it at all. Your mount works way better than my first attempt..lol. Plan 'B' will work better.....I got out my ACME Wily Coyote Black Board....LMAO.:D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I changed a couple of things though. I have used a screw-in cap for the bolt, and have used foam rubber to insulate the mount from the bars. Basically, the same stuff though... (pic 1) All pretty common stuff, a 1\" X 1/4\" UNC bolt, some tap washers, flat washers and hose clamps, (I had the foam rubber laying around here). All up, cost me about $20 for 2 of them.

Make sure you get the correct size \"T\" piece though. The one I got was a bit large, so had to cut extra out of it so it would clamp down hard on the bar.

YouTube - Home-made camera mount

Good job mate,
God I hate your sun shiny weather all the time lol.
Nelly

crx81

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome idea! :thumbup: Now that I've got a digital video camera, I'm going to have to fab one up. Thanks for posting.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Going to lend Gazza, Z1000 man my camera mount....works on his bike too, now that should provide some interesting viewing!

:eek::cheer::spank::rockon:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Going to lend Gazza, Z1000 man my camera mount....works on his bike too, now that should provide some interesting viewing!

:eek::cheer::spank::rockon:

:jawdrop: Make sure he keeps the speedo out of view :thumbup:

Should be a good view from an experienced rider... cant wait to see it. He's got better forks on that bike too, so the vibrations may be reduced as well :thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO....don't let Mrs Stumbles see that one:eek::spank::spank::spank:

Hope your camera's got a good frame rate:rockon::rockon::rockon:.