Cheap Brake/clutch levers

MecAut

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, this is my first post.
So I'd like to share something more important than the lever appereance.
My set (both, brake and clutch) has some dodgy adjusters.

The adjuster has a machining problem on the #2 setup.
In my pictures, you can see the "notch" on the adjuster is too small. :thumbdown:

Please, test each setup before riding....I've made contact with the2wheels.com about this issue and I will share their feedback.

Video 1 (clutch)
Racing levers problem - the2wheels.com [clutch] - YouTube
Video 2 (brake)
Racing levers problem - the2wheels.com [front brake] - YouTube

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

In my pictures, you can see the "notch" on the adjuster is too small. :thumbdown:

Please, test each setup before riding....I've made contact with the2wheels.com about this issue and I will share their feedback.

Video 1 (clutch)
Video 2 (brake)

Thanks for the heads-up and video on this! Dangerous!
Maybe a CNC, zero reference or tool problem with the parts.

I have JPR and love the quality and performance for the money.
JPR Performance Motorcycle Sportbike Levers

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Video 1 (clutch)
Video 2 (brake)

Wow very interesting! I've had 2 sets so far (one set of shorties and one set of long ones currently on my FZ1). Just went to the garage and tested both sides. Squeezed as hard as I dared and mine do not skip. I intentionally put the brake side in between 2 notches and squeezed hard and sure that made it skip half way to the next *step*, as to be expected, but nothing like in your videos.

One more thing.. I have combined 20000 miles with these levers. No issues (so far) besides fading.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow very interesting! I've had 2 sets so far (one set of shorties and one set of long ones currently on my FZ1). Just went to the garage and tested both sides. Squeezed as hard as I dared and mine do not skip. I intentionally put the brake side in between 2 notches and squeezed hard and sure that made it skip half way to the next *step*, as to be expected, but nothing like in your videos.

One more thing.. I have combined 20000 miles with these levers. No issues (so far) besides fading.

This is probably do to a recent machine tool change. Maybe a change in the CNC code. Probably not a problem with the earlier production parts but this could be due to some QC issue that isn't be checked. The angles and radius on the detent wheel are critical as are the bores that make up where the mating surfaces meet on these parts. All of these tolerance are important and when they are off you'll have failure. Who cares if they fade as long as they're safe! :)

Last edited:

MecAut

Reaction score
Visit site
This is probably do to a recent machine tool change. Maybe a change in the CNC code. Probably not a problem with the earlier production parts but this could be due to some QC issue that isn't be checked. The angles and radius on the detent wheel are critical as are the bores that make up where the mating surfaces meet on these parts. All of these tolerance are important and when they are off you'll have failure. Who cares if they fade as long as they're safe! :)

Yep. This is a QC/manufacturing issue. and my parts are from the same batch, because they share the same problem at the same position.
This is just a heads up and I'm glad to help.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
These are not as cheap as the On2Wheels, but i you are in Europe the 34% discount makes them pretty unbeatable!
You basically get the pair for the price of an ASV and they also have continuous adjustment rather than 6 position.
They are made in germany and TUV (german MOT) approved so the quality should be good... I just ordered a set and will report when i get them.

Bremshebel + Kupplungshebel Set V-Trec VX Safety 25 mit ABE schwarz-schwarz

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These are not as cheap as the On2Wheels, but i you are in Europe the 34% discount makes them pretty unbeatable!
You basically get the pair for the price of an ASV and they also have continuous adjustment rather than 6 position.
They are made in germany and TUV (german MOT) approved so the quality should be good... I just ordered a set and will report when i get them.

Bremshebel + Kupplungshebel Set V-Trec VX Safety 25 mit ABE schwarz-schwarz

Wow those look really really nice and if they ARE indeed made in Germany, I would definitely consider those over ultra-cheap stuff.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the folding ones in all black, will install them and let you guys know how they are.
Unfortunately it won't be for another couple weeks as i am away from the bike for the moment.

They have a lot of different models, folding, non folding, shorties, with adjustment wheel, with 6 position clicker... Lots of colors to!

http://www.v-trec.com/index.html.en

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i finally got to see and instal the V-Trec Levers...

Here is the story:

I got the levers, and they looked amazing, they are really well machined, have a sturdy feel to them, are very well polished and show really little machining marks.
They really looked and felt as good as they could.
I noticed the clutch lever was rattling when shaken so i pulled it apart and found a loose really small Hex screw in between the lever itself and the mounting part.
Not able to see where it was coming from as all holes already had screws in them i assumed it had just fallen in during assembling and mounted the levers any way.

They felt great, had a very smooth action and the adjustability was great but i noticed that the clutch lever was not holding it's setting, and after 30 min riding the lever would go to the minimum setting, closest to the bar.

I sent the company an email explained the situation, and they told me to send the levers back, prepaid postage, no problem.

I got the new pair of levers the next day, they looked as good, no shaking noise, i was happy.
Mounted the new pair on my bike, went for a ride, and after a while noticed the clutch lever was once again loosing it's setting.
I took them off, and sure enough something was rattling in the lever.

At that point i lost confidence in these levers and decided to get a refund and try my luck elsewhere.

It is worth pointing out that the company was great to deal with, and that both sets were assembled by the same guy according to the slip in the box, so maybe i was just very unlucky.

Anyway, i cannot recommend these levers after this experience.

In short for lazy readers: got two sets of levers, both defective, not trying a third set.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any one tried these Biketek levers?

NEW BIKETEK CNC ADJUSTABLE GUNMETAL RACE LEVERS LEVER SET YAMAHA FZ6 FAZER 04-10 | eBay

I like the look and the idea of the grip texture but after the previous fiasco i am a bit afraid of unknown lever brands!

No, but I am willing to bet those are made in same factory as the ones in original post. They will fade (the more your bike lives in the sun, the sooner the fade). I would also be concerned about the adjusters. There were an issue with newer batches. Under high force, the adjuster would skip causing the lever to go nearly all the way to the bar.. downright dangerous!!

Having said that, I'm on my 2nd set of the2wheels levers and while they've faded (bike is parked in the sun, when I'm at work), they still work perfectly.

Fazer'd

Reaction score
Visit site
I had some cheap $35 ones off eBay that worked wonderfully once I spent half an hour grinding them down so they would fit. I regret nothing.

Exfreelander

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought some cheap shorties off ebay for my Vstrom, the brake lever was fine, but the clutch lever lacked the tang to open/close the clutch safety switch, it could have been sorted if I wanted, but I wanted an FZ6 more than I wanted to do that. They weren't bad quality, and when I complained to the vendor that they didn't work he gave me a full refund and let me keep the levers, wonder if I can use them on the FZ..............

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Having said that, I'm on my 2nd set of the2wheels levers and while they've faded (bike is parked in the sun, when I'm at work), they still work perfectly.

I just ordered some...looking forward to them. I ordered silver to avoid the fading issue.

Tanktheory

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNXKGYG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Pair Clutch Brake Levers SBB Short Black for Yamaha FZ6 Fazer 04 05 06 07 08 09 10: Automotive[/ame]

I ordered these, gonna take a while to get here but I'll post a follow up when they come in.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm impressed. Mine just came in yesterday (will pick then up tonight). One week from Hong Kong. Free shipping. I'll post up the end result after the opening and install. still waiting on the FZ1 bars and seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Well not bad at all. Nice packaging and well protected. They look beefy compared to the OEMs but look good. Took 10 min max to install. Minor adjustments to the left side controls. Also noticed there was a bit more slack in the clutch cable so I'll have to go back to the mid adjuster to tighten it up a bit.
yhuhyhe3.jpg
sygerape.jpg
a5enenab.jpg
3a5ede3u.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well not bad at all. Nice packaging and well protected. They look beefy compared to the OEMs but look good. Took 10 min max to install. Minor adjustments to the left side controls. Also noticed there was a bit more slack in the clutch cable so I'll have to go back to the mid adjuster to tighten it up a bit.

Did you try to squeeze the brake lever relatively hard to make sure it doesn't skip on the adjuster?