charging issuse

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a bad stator. Are you getting the same Ohms reading on all 3 legs of the stator? Have you tested each lead against an unpainted metal screw on the engine or the negative battery lead/ground?

If this is a new stator that has failed again and you haven't changed the regulator/rectifier you may have to get a new stator and R/R..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
talked to electrosport Kyle says the stator is not compatible mine is a one off stator for my bike and is not wound the same way

In other words,"It's the wrong part" Here's the part number you want. 5VX-81410-00-00 I sourced it from Ron Ayers. Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2005>FZ6TC>GENERATOR

You may be able to search out one for a better price. :) It looks like all years of the FZ6 2004 and up use the same stator part number.

This is a prefect example where that voltage test could say it puts out 30-90 volts but it will never tell you the stator won't produce the current needed because it is a no load test. The resistance test told you it was out of spec. that led to the discovery it was the wrong unit.

Let us know how you make out! :D

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound of crickets........
Would anyone care to do me a complete idiots pictorial on testing the stator and battery.
I am having issues with my battery not holding a charge.
Battery tender used at night, the only additional draw on the current is my poxy Datatool S4 alarm which has stopped functioning and I would like to remove.

Cheers

Neil

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Would anyone care to do me a complete idiots pictorial on testing the stator and battery.
I am having issues with my battery not holding a charge.
Battery tender used at night, the only additional draw on the current is my poxy Datatool S4 alarm which has stopped functioning and I would like to remove.

Cheers

Neil

First thing Neil, is get the battery load tested. The battery may be bad and have poor depth of charge. Then we can go onto the stator test. When I say load test I mean charge the battery and take it to a shop that has a load tester or you can get one yourself and do this test. Most shops use an electronic type tester and not an actual true load. The old true load type are the best way and they are cheaper than the electronic.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First thing Neil, is get the battery load tested. The battery may be bad and have poor depth of charge. Then we can go onto the stator test. When I say load test I mean charge the battery and take it to a shop that has a load tester or you can get one yourself and do this test. Most shops use an electronic type tester and not an actual true load. The old true load type are the best way and they are cheaper than the electronic.
Thanks Cliff,
The battery is coming up to seven years old so I may as well just swap it out.
Bump starting with my stubby legs is a PITA and what ever else hits the ground.

Neil

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice, carefully check each component then buy what you need. I started with the battery, then the regulator finally took the stator cover off and there was my problem - burned stator. BTW I have I used regulator with 39,000 miles on it will be selling for cheap. Worked perfectly when removed to put the new one in - found the stator problem while waiting for the regulator!!! If anyone is interested just PM me.

Have several parts am going to list but since I had a valve job 6 days ago don't feel like that much work yet.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Cliff,
The battery is coming up to seven years old so I may as well just swap it out.
Bump starting with my stubby legs is a PITA and what ever else hits the ground.

Neil

Well geez Neil! Can't you be a little more frugal and squeeze another year out of that battery!? LMAO!
Got your monies worth out of that battery! :rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well geez Neil! Can't you be a little more frugal and squeeze another year out of that battery!? LMAO!
Got your monies worth out of that battery! :rockon:

Its still push starts!!! Heck, there's another six months left!!!

BTW Neil, that new battery is alot cheaper than the new fairing, etc, you'll be later purchasing...

+1 on the tutorial for electrical dumbies, especially checking the stator, (reading an ohm meter, setting it correctly, etc). With pic's would be great, then turn it into a sticky!!