changing to R6 forks

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Are the r6 fork legs shorter than the fz6's, or are they the same? Will the riding position change after installing the r6 forks?

At most they're like a half inch shorter, not sure exactly. The riding position does not change at all. Lower forks should equal easier turn in though.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
How could it NOT change if they are shorter?

You meant \"raise\" the forks, not lower.

With the tops of the forks flush with the triple tree, the riding position will not change. Sure the front end will be 1/2" closer to the ground but that does not affect your body position.

It was my belief that a lower front end, either smaller tire, shorter forks, or lowered triples provides quicker turn in.

I assume by "raising the forks" you mean making the tops of the forks higher in the triples, which has the same effect on riding position as shortening the fork tubes. 1/2" is barely noticable. If you lowered the trees an inch or more than that will be a bigger change though as you are considerably closer to the ground.

MCFC21

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry guys

I know this stuff has been bate to death but still not quite got it into my thick head....

I have the R6 forks , wheel , axle , calipers , discs, mud guard (or what ever you call it) oh and the spacers from the machine shop as well....needed all parts as my oem's are all damaged.

I also want to lower rear by 30mm using Hyperpro spring (or shock and spring, for the full adjustment as well)will be talking to uk importer tomorrow to see what i am going to do here.

The part I cant get into my head is the matching up of both these mods to get the bike set up front and rear height wise. smaller wheel and shorter forks might balance up with -30mm at rear (that would be lucky)

Dont even mind letting the forks up say 5 to 10mm through the tripple if needed at front but not any more then that.

Anyone with this set up ?
Or is a case of put it all together and drop a bit lift a bit till it works?

Also after all this messing I assume I will need a speedo healer?

Thanks folks ....nearly there now:thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
put a level on the bike somewhere (gas tank) and mark where the bubble is.. when you do both the forks and shocks, put the level back and get it to the same mark.. that would give you the same base at least (i think???)

MCFC21

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
put a level on the bike somewhere (gas tank) and mark where the bubble is.. when you do both the forks and shocks, put the level back and get it to the same mark.. that would give you the same base at least (i think???)

Only problem there for me is front oem forks are bend so bikes not at original level anymore

Cheers anyway:thumbup: