Changing Fork Innards on an SV650

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I haven't been on here in forever. First off, hello everyone....long time no see. Anyway, since having my little girl almost three years ago, I haven't been terribly active on the whole motorcycle scene (and forums went by the wayside, especially this one).

Anyway, I rebuilt my forks last night, since as those of you who have had SVs before, or know someone who does, would know, they are notorious for having really weak suspensions. It is part 1 of a 2 part suspension overhaul. I will be doing a bolt-on GSXR shock on the rear next time I have some free time. Rob (reiobard) helped me out a bit, but mostly let me do all the work, since I am trying to fall back in love with my lady here. New oil, new springs, longer spacers, and more pre-load all add up to no longer being able to bottom it out by pushing on the front.

Some pics to show the process.

watermark.php

watermark.php

The triple tree was a b*tch to loosen, but I got most of the nuts without too much struggle.....I noticed it really helped to have little girlie hands to get in those tight spaces.
watermark.php

"Fork you"
watermark.php

She has no legs....
watermark.php

watermark.php

So gross it smelled bad.....
watermark.php

watermark.php

New oil!
watermark.php

Legs back on
watermark.php

She sits up a bit higher now, but I can slam on the front and she doesn't go very far. It's like a suspension is supposed to feel! Preload adjusters are set all the way out, just til I get it out and actually ride a bit, so there is still plenty of room to stiffen it up if I decide I want more.

Special thanks to Rob for guiding me and making sure I didn't screw anything up more than he would have.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Keira! I'm doing this myself on the FZ1 soon. ;) We need to get some weekend rides in this year. :thumbup:

You may want to set the forks back to stock settings and work from there. Lee at Traxxion Dynamics has been feeding out pointers and this was one of the first steps he's outlined. You may find you're going all the way in the other direction now. :D

What did you get for springs? Racetech? Is Rob still sporting those Racetechs on the FZ6?

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
What did you get for springs? Racetech? Is Rob still sporting those Racetechs on the FZ6?

He is, hasn't touched his forks since we played with it that day at your house. He wants to tear into his this summer and change the oil at the very least. Smelling mine was enough to scare both of us into more regular maintenance. It made his oil look and smell new.

I actually don't know what springs I have. I got them from my buddy Pete (#82 at LRRS), who upgraded his again this past season. He is pretty close to my weight (maybe 10-15lbs heavier), so I figured it would be an ok swap. Anything is better than stock, I am assuming. ;)

I brought it to the track with me one weekend last year and the guys there could bottom it out by leaning on it. It was overdue for some love.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Keira! I'm doing this myself on the FZ1 soon. ;) We need to get some weekend rides in this year. :thumbup:

You may want to set the forks back to stock settings and work from there. Lee at Traxxion Dynamics has been feeding out pointers and this was one of the first steps he's outlined. You may find you're going all the way in the other direction now. :D

Yup, the Racetechs are holding up well, i also fell out of love a bit with riding last year with my little tumble and recovery, i barely put on 2k miles, which is a LONG shot from my average 12-15k miles a year. I fully plan on giving the old girl the love she deserves this year.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, we hope that the two of us can do some weekend riding with you. Can you PM me your GPS coordinates in your driveway? My Garmin melted down so I no longer have it.

My Racetechs are on the way! :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, we hope that the two of us can do some weekend riding with you. Can you PM me your GPS coordinates in your driveway? My Garmin melted down so I no longer have it.

My Racetechs are on the way! :D

So, i sense a busted knuckle day soon :) I'll PM my coordinates once i find them :p

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, i sense a busted knuckle day soon :) I'll PM my coordinates once i find them :p

Sure! I have some other things to do as well. I bought marine-grade power sockets to mount on the inner panels. I now have "jumper cables" for both bikes. and two other fantastic mods that are shipped or shipping soon. ;) The tool selection has expanded here but so has the amount of "stuff" being stored in my garage! :spank: :rolleyes: Still room to work though.

What mods say you? :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What mods say you? :D

Maybe host a GM (General maintenance) day for the locals. Oil changes, chains/Sprockets, cable lubing, fork oils, air filter cleaning, ect...

I have been out of it for a while, many "Newbies" in the area?
Working with Keira last night reminded me how much i liked teaching as opposed to just go go go, do do do...

Of course, mods are always nice too!:rockon:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe host a GM (General maintenance) day for the locals. Oil changes, chains/Sprockets, cable lubing, fork oils, air filter cleaning, ect...

I have been out of it for a while, many "Newbies" in the area?
Working with Keira last night reminded me how much i liked teaching as opposed to just go go go, do do do...

Of course, mods are always nice too!:rockon:

Might be a good day if we can attract people. Not many n00bs that I'm aware of though and a couple of them moved away on us. Well, that's more grilled food for us.

We're going to try and ride tomorrow and starting next week, every possible day. I put heated grips on both bikes using the Symtec wraps and they work very well. I'm SOOO READY!

Hope to host you two for at least a grill and swill!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Might be a good day if we can attract people. Not many n00bs that I'm aware of though and a couple of them moved away on us. Well, that's more grilled food for us.

We're going to try and ride tomorrow and starting next week, every possible day. I put heated grips on both bikes using the Symtec wraps and they work very well. I'm SOOO READY!

Hope to host you two for at least a grill and swill!

that works too, i gotta register my bike Friday, then planning on riding as much as possible... gotta change the oil this weekend too. On Keira's bike too while it is all torn apart :) it is a bitch to do hers when the fairings are on it...

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What are other things she needs done on the SV? Let me know if I can help in any way even if it's lending specialty tools.

Had I known she was doing the forks..... I have a few of those special tools now. What size are those in mm? Did you replace the seals too?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What are other things she needs done on the SV? Let me know if I can help in any way even if it's lending specialty tools.

Had I known she was doing the forks..... I have a few of those special tools now. What size are those in mm? Did you replace the seals too?

No seals yet, from the looks of the dust caps, later this summer.... the axle was a 12MM.

The SV needs to swap the rear shock for a GSXR one she picked up, chain and sprockets this summer, oil change, plugs, air filter, front tire, a good wash, and re-upholstering the drivers seat.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I meant the fork tubes... 38mm? 41mm? 43mm? I have both a 41 and 43 mm fork seal driver and no need for the 41 any longer since she got rid of the FZ6R.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I meant the fork tubes... 38mm? 41mm? 43mm? I have both a 41 and 43 mm fork seal driver and no need for the 41 any longer since she got rid of the FZ6R.

Eric,
The OEM SV650 should be a 41mm. :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like a good deal to me, maybe I'll buy some seals and we can head up there and you can show her how to use it ;)

Heck, 27K miles on my FZ6 too, might be time to learn how on my bike too, sounds like a decent project day so far.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I like grill and swill. Last summer was crazy with wokring at the track, but things will be a little calmer this year. Just landed a promotion-ish at work, so I won't need as much track time to get out of the hole. :) It was nice finally getting my hands dirty on my own bike, though. Rob has just been taking care of everything lately, which on one hand is kind of nice, but I've always been a bit of a gear head myself (used to do all my own maintenance n my car before I met him), so it was nice getting back into it.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. We can do both bikes since I have both sizes. I have the Motion Pro fork oil level tool. To hold the damping rod, I use a "customized" coat hanger. And to retrieve the dust caps and seals, I have a high quality dental pick. We have an FZ6 manual. Do you have the SV650 service manual?

You can then take the 41mm driver home with you since I'll not need it.

As for swill, I have an awesome hand-made burger is you like garlic, onion and peppers for flavor. It involves whole sirloin and fresh veggies and my meat grinder. ;) Maybe some fire roasted veggies too.

Let's start planning! BTW, there's been some added "Busted Knuckle" signage too; ;)