Change up to FZ1

michael-james

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking of changing my 07 FZ6-S2 for a 2007/8 FZ1-S
Interested to hear from anyone who has ridden both and if they think the difference in power, size etc is worth it. I like the bigger physical dimensions of the FZ1 and the lower exhaust system.
I only use it for pleasure riding in my spare time not commuting or the like so no need for good gas mileage.

Haven't been able to try one yet as it's still winter in Sweden and still a good few weeks yet till roads are rideable. Itching to get back out there !!

But in the meantime if there's any opinions i'd gladly hear them.
Regards,
M-J

Last edited:

rjclagett

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually started out on an '05 FZ1 and now own an '08 FZ6. The FZ1 was a wheelie monster and I really didn't need that much power. The throttle also seemed to be very off/on. It could scare you pretty good mid turn if you weren't careful. Honestly they're both great bikes but I prefer the look and feel of the FZ6.

michael-james

Reaction score
Visit site
From what i've read the injection systems were updated for the 2007 > on models with better throttle response and smoother power delivery. I still feel my FZ6 is a bit snatchy at low rpm's compared with my previous carburetor Bikes. This was my first fuel injection bike.
Havent noticed anything but smooth delivery coming out of bends or roundabouts on the FZ6.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I owned both an '05 and '08 FZ6. I went to an FZ1 (2009) in June '09. From day one, I never looked back, never regretted the swap. I can't say enough good about the FZ1. It was everything I loved about the FZ6 but a lot more. I find it to be as tame as you want it to be and as aggressive as you need it to be. I like the seating position better, the angle of the bars is more comfortable for me. The over all fit and finish seems to be very high quality all around. It has more than enough HP and there are simple mods to do, many of them free, to move the power band more toward the mid-range. A full exhaust system makes a big difference in the mid-range usable torque and HP. It is surprisingly flickable for a liter bike.

My ONLY complaint about the FZ1 is the size of the fuel tank and the MPG. I'm averaging (after a speedodrd healer correction to GPS accurate) 32 mpg. Fuel stops are a must every actual 125 miles and less if you are "getting on it" all the time.

Last, the '06 does have a terrible fuel cut off issue that can be resolved by either buying Ivan's FCE ($200) or picking up any newer year ECU from ebay (shoot for the 2010 ECU which is even further improved). I didn't change anything on the ECU nor am I running a PC and I don't have much of an issue.

I have a Two Bros slip-on, stock header with the CAT still installed, modded flies, modded airbox, AIS blocked but not removed, and a 16T front sprocket. The bike runs perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading the above post, I am tempted to move up to an FZ1 but, I couldn't live with myself dumping my beloved 2007 FZ6. I can understand dumping a spouse for a newer model, but a motorcycle?

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
You might also consider one of the Bandit 1250's Very smooth bike lots of torque and around 42 MPG, for spirited riding +- 100 mph and it holds 5 gallons of gas.

I had one for about a year, and had to get rid of it or Send my Lic. back to the state. Was so smooth you would be cruising along in the Mid Triple digits and still have a gear to go.

With the FZ6 or any 600 for that matter you have to ride the bike, meaning more shifting. To me that is half of the fun. Light and nimble will prevail over HP in the fun stuff anyway.

Todd

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interested to hear from anyone who has ridden both and if they think the difference in power, size etc is worth it.

This is a trick question...right????
(kidding aside, FZ1in NH answered it best)

After reading the above post, I am tempted to move up to an FZ1 but, I couldn't live with myself dumping my beloved 2007 FZ6. I can understand dumping a spouse for a newer model, but a motorcycle?

1st = :spank:
2nd = do what I did & keep them both! Double your pleasure..... ;)

Last edited:

michael-james

Reaction score
Visit site
Well i spent some time today and visited a nearby MC dealer who had a 06 FZ1 in stock. Just went to get a feel for it. My first thought was cripes what a hard seat and especially with that angle to it which was more like sitting on a block of wood !!
Sitting position felt good especially those straighter bars than is on the FZ6.
Liked the big fat rear tire and the sport look of the beast. Will need to try one out on the road when weather is better before i decide i think.
You guys who have FZ1's do you find the seat hard or are you just used to it !
Thanks for your input.
M-J

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
I owned a Bandit 1200s, and ridden an FZ1, both very nice bikes. What I like about the FZ6 over them both is it's much lighter yet smooth at speed. Easy to ride slow and fun as heck to ride fast. For me, it's just more fun to ride. Not as powerful of course but but fast all the same. You can't go wrong either way.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i spent some time today and visited a nearby MC dealer who had a 06 FZ1 in stock. Just went to get a feel for it. My first thought was cripes what a hard seat and especially with that angle to it which was more like sitting on a block of wood !!
Sitting position felt good especially those straighter bars than is on the FZ6.
Liked the big fat rear tire and the sport look of the beast. Will need to try one out on the road when weather is better before i decide i think.
Thanks for your input.
M-J

The stock seat will break in but it will take a while. I replaced mine with the Top Saddlery seat from France. It's like a sofa! :D

picture.php

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

M-J

I replaced the stock seat with a Sargent seat (front only) and like it. The stock seat seems to put Big Jim and the Twins into the fuel tank and was hard on my lower back.
The Sargent is more dished and is much better for the above problems. It may not be as padded as the stock seat but I like it. 250-300 miles a day is enough on a FZ6 or 1 for me. I'll ride my FJR for the long days.
Get the 1, you will like it!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find the FZ1 seat every bit as comfy as the FZ6 seat. It is firmer, but wider, so it spreads the weight. It is much better for moving around on also, which is likely what you are after on a weekend bike:thumbup:.

Keep the revs low, and you're looking at a puppy dog to ride. Hit 8 grand, and you know where the extra horsies were hiding:rockon:.

Adjustable suspenders (the rear shock still sucks if you're more than 70-odd kilos) and bigger brakes finish it off well. With no brake mods at all, two finger stoppies are no dramas (if I was the sort of person to do stoppies:eek:).

I can vouch for the fact that the 06 has what I like to call, "The Crack Of Doom" when you get back on the gas hard, but you can ride around it, or get an FCE from Ivan.:thumbup:

It is heavier than an FZ6, but the centre of gravity seems lower, so the bike feels more planted, and is just as flickable (just need to watch getting back on the gas hard...lol).

Down side....Tires and fuel. You will use more:rolleyes:. The front will still wear well, as it is only used for parking:eek:...lol.:rockon::BLAA: