Change the spark plug

W

wrightme43

You guys know you dont have to loosen or remove anything to change the plugs right?

All the caps are numbered. Just reach in and take off all the caps, use your tool in the tool kit, take the plugs out, one at a time, put in the new plug, and put the caps back on. Its easy, takes 20 minutes.

I just did mine again the other day.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of us have really big hands which is why our wives love us so much! j/k.

I loosened the radiator (it's only 2 bolts) just to give my hand a bit more room. # 3 was a bugger to remove the plug wire. As always it will be easier the second time.

W

wrightme43

LOL I keep forgetting that not everyone doesnt have giant meathooks on the ends of thier arms.

Let me qualify the above statement.

Unless you have huge hands you dont have to loosen or remove anything. LOL :thumbup:

yarnod

Reaction score
Visit site
I seen the manual said to drop the radiator out of the way and even some of ya's have been able to do it without doing that but it must be magic. I cannot do it.

I took the 2 fairings off, lifted the tank, held it up with bungee cord, took battery out, and airbox, took the caps off and removed the plugs with my extension and a magnet and it took a while but I take my hat off to you guys doing the way the manual says!

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
It takes a bit of fiddling around to do it the first time.
3 10mm bolts to drop the radiator (the bolt on the lower mount where it attaches between the header I just loosen off)
Drop radiator down. I do 3&4 on the right side, 1&2 on the left. But #2 can be a stretch, I had to go over the top of the dropped radiator and twist my arm around to get to it, but it can be done.

Takes some finger strength to pop the plug wires off.
The job is easy if you have the yamaha spark plug socket, use a 14mm wrench to loosen the plug then use your fingers for the rest of the threads.
I did it the other day in about 15 minutes...

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with CDNMEDIC, drop the radiator to free up a little extra space. I bought the plugs last summer, but was dreading installing them. I've got 10,000 miles and figured it was time. Using the spark plug tool from the yamaha toolkit that came with the bike is a must, but overall it was much easier than I expected. The old plugs looked fine when I took them out.

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
What's an "addy"? Sorry I'm Swedish and don't speak colloquial. Also, If it turns out that I have an addy, can you help me too if I send it?

Eldberg

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
You should change out your spark plugs every 2,000 miles, MAX.

....NGK Spark Plug Company. ;)

Seriously, I have "normal" size hands and only have to loosen the radiator to get at all the plugs. My biggest concern is to be certain that I'm not cross threading them so I pay close attention when starting the thread.

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the spark plug change to my 2008 FZ6 today (had 14K miles on them). I was able to take all the caps off from the right side after removing hose retainer bolt and lower radiator bolt as per the service manual (gives an extra inch or two that's badly needed). Then took 1,2 and 3 out from the right side. Took number 4 out from the left side. Pick a day when you have patience. It took about an hour. I am 6'3" and have fairly large hands but can get to the 3 from the right side. Would have been easier if I had smaller hands. It was not as bad as I envisioned. Just go slow and be careful not to strip anything (that means tighten by hand until you are sure threads are not crossed). Good luck.